Chip Flattening - Chips Got Squished (2 Viewers)

Tried another batch last night. 20 minutes at 125 degrees (10 more than last time). I might see a little progress this time, but they're still far from flat. I can see a lot of daylight between the chips when I hold them up to a window. They seem to rock back and forth a little less, though.

Longer... heat needs to fully penetrate the chip.

Guess I'll try a half hour today. Will report back with results.

Ovens vary. Clamping pressure varies. Chips vary. This isn’t a precision technique. Thus you should always start low - temp, pressure, time - and work up. Start with 1-2 chips and work up.

Keep in mind that what works for one set of chips may be too much or too little for another. We know that different manufacturers’ chips behave differently and that manufacturers’ chips change over time.

Ovens vary. Clamping pressure varies. Chips vary. This isn’t a precision technique. Thus you should always start low - temp, pressure, time - and work up. Start with 1-2 chips and work up.

Keep in mind that what works for one set of chips may be too much or too little for another. We know that different manufacturers’ chips behave differently and that manufacturers’ chips change over time.
Great points, Leonard -- and specifically, even different color chips from the same manufacturer have different 'melting' points, so even chips from the same set will react differently during the process. Bad idea to try and flatten different chips in the same clamp.

Can this also be done in a warm water bath? The ultrasonic cleaner has reasonable temperature control. Clamp and immerse for the required time?
Immersion in liquid is generally a bad idea, no matter what. Cleaning as a necessity, okay, but more immersion exposure = more damage risk imo.

There are documented cases of people heating a pot of water with chips on a stove, constantly stirring. When removed from the water, the chips all had some really nice indentation marks from the pliers that were used to carefully pull them out. Soft chips can deform easily.

Immersion in liquid is generally a bad idea, no matter what. Cleaning as a necessity, okay, but more immersion exposure = more damage risk imo.

There are documented cases of people heating a pot of water with chips on a stove, constantly stirring. When removed from the water, the chips all had some really nice indentation marks from the pliers that were used to carefully pull them out. Soft chips can deform easily.

Well, I was thinking of something better controlled. Like clamped chips with ceramic blanks in between immersed as a whole. I'd be hoping that would leave them less prone to damage, but give you the enough uniformity of temperature to get some flattening.

I just don't like the unnecessary liquid immersion aspect -- I've seen too many examples of liquid seeping into/under inlays causing permanent damage.

I just don't like the unnecessary liquid immersion aspect -- I've seen too many examples of liquid seeping into/under inlays causing permanent damage.

I see. I also was going to limit my experiment to hot stamped solids. I also would not want to subject inlaid chips to prolonged immersion, especially under heat.

Gene from ABC
Too slow! :p

200w.gif

@bolodog I'll point out that there are probably better threads to check out if you're looking for tips. I never got this to work.
yah super weird. some people swear by it and others don't believe it's a thing cause it didn't work at all. only guess is some chips/colors are more prone to flattening?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom