Tourney Casual Player Tournament Stamina (1 Viewer)

big32dave

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I've just start hosting a tournament which plans to meets once a month for what ends up being 12-16 players at a time. Most are just casual players and just about everyone headed out once they had busted even though we are all friends and enjoy the company. The schedule called for 15 levels, 20 minutes each (5 hours total), starting with 250BB stack. Last nights game finally hit heads up at the 6 hour mark, going over schedule. I liked the idea of keeping the opening blinds low, allowing for some deepstack play and giving everyone a chance to hang around. I don't want to create a shove-fest but by level 15 last night (5 hours) in there were still 5 players at the table with only 42 big blind between the 5.

Is it better to have the blind levels start higher to eliminate the deep stack play? Maybe reduce the number of levels but make them 30 minutes each where the level increases are more significant? Either way, I thought 42 big blinds at the final level would bring the game to an end quickly but it lasted over another hour. We kept that level for the final hour because none of the remaining players wanted to shove and pray. Is this unavoidable or do you think the cards were just hitting that way for us last night to make the game go long?

I'd say yes in terms of starting with shallower stacks, but you will find I am in the minority with this opinion.

Last edited:
I thought 42 big blinds at the final level would bring the game to an end quickly
by level 15 last night (5 hours) in there were still 5 players at the table with only 42 big blind between the 5.
Post your blind structure and payout schedule. Sounds like you a) underestimated the length of the structure, and b) had a bunch of tight nits in the final group of players.

We kept that level for the final hour because none of the remaining players wanted to shove and pray.
If you do this, then you've kinda accepted that the tournament will go over schedule. It's not only that higher blinds eliminate players, it's also the knowledge that the blinds will increase that make players make moves.

The schedule called for 15 levels
by level 15 last night (5 hours) in there were still 5 players at the table with only 42 big blind between the 5.
The wisdom of PCF states that tournaments should end no later than when there are around 20 big blinds left, or 30 with antes, so your schedule might be a tad optimistic.

do you think the cards were just hitting that way for us last night to make the game go long?
Could be, sometimes the shortstacks are like turds that won't flush, there's not much you can do about it. Well, except continue to increase the blinds, of course.
My tournaments (with antes) usually end with 30-40 BBs left, rarely as low as 20, but once it actually ended with only 6.7 BBs left!!

What was your payout structure? If it wasn’t very top heavy, then players are really incented to really tighten up especially if there are multiple short stacks.

If your issue is that no one is hanging around, I’d say that once you get 4-5 guys eliminated. Let them start a cash game on the open table. That should allow them to stick around. I know if I had busted out of a tourney and a cash game kicked off, I’d be in. Unless my wife said differently :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom