CANCELLED: GOCC Egyptians Group Buy (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Michael. Still considered a good guy around here by most, including me. Too bad it sounds like the Egyptians won't get remade.

Hats off to you Michael for making this information public even though you had no obligation to.

The GB organizer here can claim he was naive to the process and I'd be fine with that, but he should realize there is a legal obligation for each chip produced on a design bought and paid for by a private party.

However, GOCC, I'm very disappointed in their role in this fiasco.

Jeezis. Kind of hard to believe that *anyone* would ever have signed a production order from Chipco worded anything like this:

ChipcoText.jpg

:eek:

It's a shame that the OP was more than a bit naive.
Reading back - Michael's response of "Let me know what you think of this offer" should have been answered with "DONE!".

It appeared that there was sufficient interest in these chips being reborn for a group buy. Maybe someone who is capable of handling it could connect with Michael and take another swing.
That is, as long as Michael was interested in being as gracious as he was the first time.

(Retracted - with hindsight)

Last edited:
You’re joking right? It has nothing to do with me being naive. In fact I literally did nothing wrong if you look at the timeline:

- Contacted GOCC to inquire about remaking Egyptians after I saw a successful group buy of Yaks on PCF. They said they could make them.
- I started an “interest only” thread on PCF and was told to contact Michael by folks on this forum given I didn’t know the history. I did.
- I reached out to GOCC again, to make sure they were in the right. They again said they could make them. After all, any contracts would be with the manufacturer not the buyer. The burden is with them to make sure they can produce the chips not me.
- I opened the official group buy on PCF
- Michael at this point saw my email and responded. I promptly stopped the group buy.
- GOCC told me they spoke to Michael and that he agreed to honor the original price. I can share this email if it matters.
- Michael offers me an offer that was above the original GOCC offer so I simply asked for a clarification of why, since it wasn’t the same story I heard from GOCC.
- I also tried to clarify with GOCC on the same topic.
- GOCC responds and says they are no longer interested in making the chips.

I never even rejected the offer on the table.

This thread is exhausting and I’m tired of reading through opinions from people who don’t know what went on.

You’re joking right? It has nothing to do with me being naive. In fact I literally did nothing wrong if you look at the timeline:

- Contacted GOCC to inquire about remaking Egyptians after I saw a successful group buy of Yaks on PCF. They said they could make them.
- I started an “interest only” thread on PCF and was told to contact Michael by folks on this forum given I didn’t know the history. I did.
- I reached out to GOCC again, to make sure they were in the right. They again said they could make them. After all, any contracts would be with the manufacturer not the buyer. The burden is with them to make sure they can produce the chips not me.
- I opened the official group buy on PCF
- Michael at this point saw my email and responded. I promptly stopped the group buy.
- GOCC told me they spoke to Michael and that he agreed to honor the original price. I can share this email if it matters.
- Michael offers me an offer that was above the original GOCC offer so I simply asked for a clarification of why, since it wasn’t the same story I heard from GOCC.
- I also tried to clarify with GOCC on the same topic.
- GOCC responds and says they are no longer interested in making the chips.

I never even rejected the offer on the table.

This thread is exhausting and I’m tired of reading through opinions from people who don’t know what went on.
Don't sweat it brother. You tried, which is more than 99% of us do. And from where I'm sitting, you did everything right. Don't let the monday morning quarterbacks get you down.

Don't sweat it brother. You tried, which is more than 99% of us do. And from where I'm sitting, you did everything right. Don't let the monday morning quarterbacks get you down.
Agreed.

I'm not speaking for @jazzV3, but I read "naive" as not knowing the history, which you acknowledge.

I think you did everything right. You thought you were good, it was suggested that you confirm, and you did. Multiple times. And once it was clear that the group buy would violate @MSPatton's contractual rights, you cancelled the group buy. I don't think anyone is looking at you as the bad guy.

If you didn't realize that reproducing chips without the express permission of the design owner or the owner of production rights wasn't a good thing then yes, you were naive. I didn't call you a design theif or chastise you or your actions to start a group buy but rather a lack of understanding concerning ownership of said design. That by definition is naivety. Please don't take offense as none was meant toward you.

GOCC on the other hand.......bad form.

I wouldn't walk into a shake shack and ask to see the patents and trademark behind the making of a burger, I would ask if I could place an order and expect them to tell me yes or no. That's all I did here. Am I naive to buy this burger?

Obviously I realize that there are intellectual property implications with any business transaction dealing with artwork, however as I said before it's not on me to know the complete history of that artwork myself. I would inquire through the company who manufactured it to begin with, which is what I did here. Fortunately, there are collectors on PCF that helped educate me along the way which helped in assisting GOCC in this process, for which I am thankful.

I wouldn't walk into a shake shack and ask to see the patents and trademark behind the making of a burger, I would ask if I could place an order and expect them to tell me yes or no. That's all I did here. Am I naive to buy this burger?

Obviously I realize that there are intellectual property implications with any business transaction dealing with artwork, however as I said before it's not on me to know the complete history of that artwork myself. I would inquire through the company who manufactured it to begin with, which is what I did here. Fortunately, there are collectors on PCF that helped educate me along the way which helped in assisting GOCC in this process, for which I am thankful.
I tend to agree with this. If a vendor tells me they have permission to produce something for me, I generally assume they are running their business properly and with the correct permissions. Without the historical knowledge of the experts on this site, I would have been like "who the hell is Michael Patton?" (no offense @MSPatton :)). Is there some naivety or ignorance associated with this? I suppose, but personally I wouldn't view it as such.

I tend to agree with this. If a vendor tells me they have permission to produce something for me, I generally assume they are running their business properly and with the correct permissions. Without the historical knowledge of the experts on this site, I would have been like "who the hell is Michael Patton?" (no offense @MSPatton :)). Is there some naivety or ignorance associated with this? I suppose, but personally I wouldn't view it as such.
I've know @rjdev7 for a long time outside of this hobby and he is an upstanding guy. He is fairly new to the sickness and has little knowledge of vendors and chip history.
I have a lot more knowledge and have been around since nearly the beginning and I missed this one too. He reached out to me about GOCC doing another run of these and we were both excited and anxious to share it with the forum. I knew about Cagle and the Paulson Pharaoh's but had no idea that the Chipco's were anything other than an original Chipco design.

Ryan did everything as a good member of this community would in my opinion. He shared what he thought was his good fortune in getting these made again with all of us. He reached out to people when there was some question about ownership (from India no less!) and he shut it down when he should have. Overall I'd say it was handled about as best it could have been given everything we know.

If you guys are into this Egyptian themed chipset, and can’t get permission for this specific artwork for the dude that @BGinGA apparently so deeply respects :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:, there are some very talented people on this site who can help you modify the designs and come up with an even better set.

I don't remember who said this, but he might be on the right track. ;)

I hear Egypt is a country with a long history and rich culture and a new set based on some of their incredible monuments can be designed by some of the talented artists on this site (y) :thumbsup:

I personally vote for the angry ducks, but hey, that's just me :p

I hear Egypt is a country with a long history and rich culture and a new set based on some of their incredible monuments can be designed by some of the talented artists on this site (y) :thumbsup:

I personally vote for the angry ducks...

Anything beats my idea of having the top 10 PCF posters do a swimsuit-calendar style chip set.

Hahaha! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

:rolleyes:

:oops:

On a completely unrelated note, I am in for 2000 chips if the PCF swimsuit set ever happens.

(y) :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom