Canadians - how much to mail 1 to 5 chips? (1 Viewer)

GenghisKhan

Full House
Reaction score
Ehhhh fellow Canadians.
It's been a while since I've mailed a single chip or small lots of 1 to 5.

What's that costing you in 2019?
Any tips to keep cost down?

I remember last year they'd hanged it so we couldn't mail a single at $2.xx anymore and it went up to pike $5-$6.

But I kept insisting they send it the old way (forget their name for it) and it worked for a while.

Thx for any recent info/insights.

When mailing singles or small batches it has to do with the shape of the package. They have a little plastic thing that the "envelope" needs to be able to fit through. If it is too big then it goes as regular mail instead of as "letter mail". They might have different words for it but that is the idea. You want the package to be as flat as possible so it still passes as letter mail.

Thx. Our letter mail rules changed in Canada last year. If there was a chip in it, and not just paper, instead of a letter it was now a package.

For a while I told them send it letter anyway. Some said yes, some no. I'd return and ask a different person, lol. Most went through as letter. I did have one or two come back though stating this is not considered a letter, you're short on postage. :confused

Thx. Our letter mail rules changed in Canada last year. If there was a chip in it, and not just paper, instead of a letter it was now a package.

For a while I told them send it letter anyway. Some said yes, some no. I'd return and ask a different person, lol. Most went through as letter. I did have one or two come back though stating this is not considered a letter, you're short on postage. :confused

That's it and if it goes through the slot it is a light package and if it doesn't it is a regular package.

Either way though, you're screwed into paying package prices, minimum about $6

For me it has never been about the contents. It always just depends on if it fits. If it fits it ships :)

But seriously I have never had any post person ask what was in my envelope. If it fits in that thingy then it goes letter...thats it.

I’d just send it oversize mail... I send all sort of stuff across Canada than way.

To the states though is different. Perhaps check if chit chats is around you? I found shipping to the states for them on some business stuff to be half what etsy gave me direct. Wish they had a drop off in my city

I've mailed a few chips to Canada and US through letter mail by keeping it thin. One row of chips sandwiched between card stock (taped down) and then inside 2-3 pieces of folded letter paper. No bubble wrap. Usually about $2 to $3, max. I've requested others send to me in the same way. Not a single broken chip in at least half a dozen mailings.

A lot of half-truths in this thread so I'll do my best to provide clarity. First off, Lettermail is a domestic service, meaning it ships within Canada only. If you intend for your envelope to go outside of Canada then you are purchasing Letter-Post service and you can only send printed matter using this service (i.e. no chips). There are two different sized categories of Lettermail:

Screenshot_20190717-031721_Canada Post.jpg

Stay away from making your shipment fit within the Regular size (a.k.a. Standard or Short & Long) dimensions at all costs even when shipping singles. The reason is because chips do not bend and if they are inducted into the high speed mechanized sorters then they will be damaged when they go through the conveyors that turn more than 90°; they will damage the sorting equipment; or both. This is why there are restrictions on what you can put inside this size of envelope (see below UNACCEPTABLE ITEMS).

You should instead make your shipment of a single chip or 20 chips fit within the Large size (a.k.a. non-standard or Oversize) dimensions as these mail pieces will be inducted on different mechanized sorters that do not bend the envelopes or they will be processed by hand.

I definitely recommend affixing the chips between card stock as this will make your envelope less lumpy and thus less likely to get caught up in mechanized processing equipment. For cheap chips you can tape them directly to the card stock although I'd still probably wrap them in paper first so as not to leave any residue on the chips. For more expensive chips I use these and tape the openings so the chips don't escape. I also recommend using a padded envelope... this should be self explanatory.

As to what can you put inside the envelope...

Screenshot_20190717-031225_Chrome.jpg

The above is not an extensive list but you get the idea.

The last hurdle is weight... your shipment cannot exceed 500 grams otherwise it will be considered a parcel and then it will be subject to destination charges as well. No matter where you send Lettermail, the prices are as follows (excluding taxes):

Screenshot_20190717-030753_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

It's been a while since I've mailed a single chip or small lots of 1 to 5.

What's that costing you in 2019?

Assuming these aren't slugged chips, you can probably send up to 5 chips anywhere in Canada for $1.90 + tax.

For those of you who were told you couldn't send chips as Lettermail (not true), maybe it was because you were trying to send them outside of Canada? About 15 years ago, Canada Post introduced the Light Packet service which allowed a certain dollar value of goods to be processed via the Letter-Post stream as long as it met the same size and weight specifications as Oversize Lettermail. The screening of Letter-Post is sporadic but over time it was determined that this service was abused as some senders went over the dollar value limit. So yes, the Light Packet service was discontinued and instead you must use one of the Small Packet or Parcel services for non-printed matter destined outside of Canada.

I hope the above helps.

Last edited:
To Canada or the states, chips individually wrapped in seranwrap, inside of cereal boxboard using a padded envelope shouldn't be more than a few bucks. There is no tracking. And if asked, say they're wedding invitations. :tup:
If they're valuable chips, send em parcel.

:eek: $8! Damn. Was that a parcel? I wrap two buttons as described and the envelope always comes in under 100g. Usually around 93g. That ships for a few bucks as oversized lettermail to either destination.
That's what Small Packet Air goes for to the US when you fully declare there is non-printed matter in the envelope.

Everyone should check if they have a chit chats near them. Etsy added integration for it so I took a look and a usual $9 packet to the US would have only cost me $4.50 to send.

Sadly the closest drop off is 45 min from me so it’s useless but I will use it if they add one in my city

Our mail service blows....smh. I guess I have a good thing going with my local guy.
It isn't Canada Post that determines this... it's the receiving country's customs agency that does. They want to screen mail for goods so that not only can they assess if duty charges need to be applied but also to ensure that prohibited items don't enter the country as well. This is why it doesn't really matter what you send in an envelope across Canada but it does when you send it internationally.

I haven't and don't. But I still need someone to explain to me why it's okay to mail 300g of paper for $4.50 when 300g of any non-paper item starts at $10+ and escalates quickly. That's my issue. That and the time it takes to send mail an hour up the road....5-6 days is a bit much.

Despite all that has been said here...

Canada Post drops the ball in other ways with respect to delivery of packages.

Canada Post does suck. Rules or not. It should not take 6 business days to receive a dealer button from Ontario.

But I still need someone to explain to me why it's okay to mail 300g of paper for $4.50 when 300g of any non-paper item starts at $10+ and escalates quickly.
In general terms, it costs more to handle items with merchandise than items with printed matter only. Machines for printed matter take up less real estate and need fewer clerks to operate. Specific to international shipments there are extra handling costs as items with goods are X-ray'd whereas Letter-Post typically is not. Of the $8 that Lash paid for his shipment to the US, Canada Post will pocket around $2 and the rest will go to the USPS for their processing costs.
That and the time it takes to send mail an hour up the road....5-6 days is a bit much.
Are you talking across the border or within Canada?

In general terms, it costs more to handle items with merchandise than items with printed matter only. Machines for printed matter take up less real estate and need fewer clerks to operate. Specific to international shipments there are extra handling costs as items with goods are X-ray'd whereas Letter-Post typically is not. Of the $8 that Lash paid for his shipment to the US, Canada Post will pocket around $2 and the rest will go to the USPS for their processing costs.

Are you talking across the border or within Canada?
Within Canada.

Similar here. Small package from Ottawa to Pickering took 8 days. Estimate was 3. I'm assuming it's to set expectations so that people will pay for Xpresspost.

The $12 upcharge to add tracking surprised me as well. Glad I didn't buy it.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom