Can you mill RHC chips all the way out into the hats and canes, to accept a giant inlay?

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I was suggested in another thread that you could make custom giant inlay chips by milling RHC chips all the way out and partially through the hats and canes, to create a giant sized recess to accept a giant sized inlay. Has anybody ever tried it? I haven't. But my gut is telling me that the hats and canes would chip all to hell and you'd create a big mess of a chip.
@AfterTheFact , I didn't mean to suggest you were derailing the sales thread. If anything, it was me who was derailling it, but I didn't want to start a big debate over whether or not that kind of milling would work, there.

Last edited:

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a 1-1/4 bit, and with a RHC it goes right to the edge of the mold line. I would imagine if would work, but look super funky.

allforcharity

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely wouldn't look the same. Even if it went off perfectly and you did no extra damage to the hat/cane, you would have unrecognizable recessed blobs at the edge of your sticker. At least with the giant inlay you can see the entire outline of the entire hat/cane because there is a slight difference in recess depth. After milling, that gets eliminated.

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have experimented and h is what happens when you mill an RHC chip...

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/inlay-removal-by-milling-with-a-drill-press.51172/

basically it is possible to mill out using a 1-1/4” bit which goes all the way out to the hat and cane and you could technically use a 1-1/4” label but you wouldn’t be able to apply a label up and over the rim like a giant inlay. The label in this image below is only 1” or 1-1/16” so it doesn’t reach the rim. The next bit size up would be 1-1/2” which would be almost the entire face of the chip. That wouldn’t really work.

0932D3C5-80EA-4F5F-A4C4-1394E7F36AD3.png

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have experimented and h is what happens when you mill an RHC chip...

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/inlay-removal-by-milling-with-a-drill-press.51172/

basically it is possible to kill out using a 1-1/4” bit which goes all the way out to the hat and cane and you could technically use a 1-1/4” label but you wouldn’t be able to apply a label up and over the rim like a giant inlay.
I think he's asking how it would look using a 1 1/2 on RHC. I could try the 1 1/4 on a THC to see the mill line on the Hat and Cane mold.... See how everything looks after.

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he's asking how it would look using a 1 1/2 on RHC. I could try the 1 1/4 on a THC to see the mill line on the Hat and Cane mold.... See how everything looks after.

In that thread I did use a 1-1/4 on RHC and just updated the post above with a photo. Yeah the next size bit up is that 1.5” which is 38.1mm. That would definitely create chipping issues. I suspect an actually giant inlay is probably in between like 1-3/8” probably right?

Edit: oh I see your first comment now

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be an oddball size. I don't think the chip would be playable after, but ya never know....

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Yes. Y’all need to learn your inlay sizes. That dunes is a grand inlay. I’m talking giant - the one that extends about halfway over the hats and canes.

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. Y’all need to learn your inlay sizes. That dunes is a grand inlay. I’m talking giant - the one that extends about halfway over the hats and canes.

I understand and mentioned that In the comment. But the milled out portion is larger at 1-1/4” not the 1-1/8” label.

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I understand and mentioned that In the comment. But the milled out portion is larger at 1-1/4” not the 1-1/8” label.
To be more specific, the issue was to creat a chip to fill in for a 1k in this lineup. The fact that this is a plain mold, not an RHC is another story. But the question is, can you mill out an RHC to take a label this big, and again, I predict crumbling.

429BB31B-3BAC-4661-8BB3-C9C9F4AC56C3.jpeg

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The direct answer is “no”. There is no bit available that I am aware of that is 1-3/8”. We have tried 1-1/4” on RHC chips which I attached a photo of above (the recess is Super Grand 1-1/4” even though the label is Grand 1-1/8”). The next bit size up is 1-1/2” which is all but 0.9mm of the face. That would be a disaster but I have not tried it.

23C92DAE-1FDF-462F-A340-C283FF1E17B3.jpeg

Josh Kifer

Royal Flush
Site Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you could double mill it. Mill in the first cup, then the second inside.... It would take a thin label tho that can ride the ridges...

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
The direct answer is “no”. There is no bit available that I am aware of that is 1-3/8”. We have tried 1-1/4” on RHC chips which I attached a photo of above (the recess is Super Grand 1-1/4” even though the label is Grand 1-1/8”). The next bit size up is 1-1/2” which is all but 0.9mm of the face. That would be a disaster but I have not tried it.

View attachment 449388
I imagine you could try it with a router, but again, I predict crumbling.

Eloe2000

4 of a Kind
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I imagine you could try it with a router, but again, I predict crumbling.

Yeah,@allforcharity has been successful these days with router milling but he is limited by jig diameter. He may have thoughts.

Three more not great options that I will throw out there that even I hate:

1: use roulette mold chips which are better suited for 1-1/4 milling
2: get CPC blanks and use a 1-1/4” bit so at least the rim is flat
3: murder other Giant inlay chips but just get the label to fill the interior 1-1/4” recess

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might get acceptable results with a lammer mold chip, but an RHC mold will have recessed half-hats remaining, and those recesses will clearly show the cut *edge* of the label. Imo, that will both look like crap, and be prone to catching and lifting up and collecting dirt.

Last edited:

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also a different mold. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom