Can you enjoy/support an artist/athlete/public figure whose actions or politics you find deplorable? (1 Viewer)

Just saw that Action Bronson (link to his mastery if you are unaware) was disinvited from appearing at Trinity College because some precious snowflakes don't like his lyrics.

This is the statement made regarding his being disinvited:

tRTEBqL.jpg

Jesus. Fucking. Christ. Lol at Trinity College's "obligation to protect the emotional and physical safety of its students". They even "apologize for considering bringing Action Bronson, an explicitly unconscious rapper, to campus". First, wtf is explicitly unconscious. But more importantly, now people have to apologize for even considering something?

I went to Auburn University, not exactly a bastion of progressivism and open-mindedness and even there I was able to see Mos Def and Talib Kweli (together as part of Black Star and separately as well) and both were very much political in their performances. No one even considered that they should be protested and certainly not disinvited because the College Republicans might not like what they're saying. I can't imagine that would go over now that everyone has decided that the only permissible expression on a college campus is that which expresses no opinion or position.

I hate to say it but college liberals are worse than college conservatives and it's not even close.

Last edited:
Exactly how does a person rap, or do anything other than conduct involuntary bodily functions for that matter, when unconscious?

I have a huge problem with expecting institutions of higher learning having to protect students from uncomfortable situations. Really? Yeah, like that's going to prepare young adults for the real world.

/rant

I'm all for anyone protecting me from rap music. (y) :thumbsup: Let there be rock.

No need to protect me from rap music. I prefer to make my own decisions, and if I'm not interested, I simply won't attend. When do people grow a spine -- when they receive their undergraduate degree?

I had the displeasure to meet and work with Julia Roberts on a movie filmed here in Wisconsin. She is the most vile human being I have ever met. And pretty much all of the crew concurred. I cannot watch anything involving Julia Roberts without cringing. She was such a nasty woman that I will never give her my business.

For those of you who like Julia Roberts let me explain that before this movie I was one of her biggest fans. She was mean and nasty to the children in the movie, to all her staffers, and to everyone working on the crew.

No need to protect me from rap music. I prefer to make my own decisions, and if I'm not interested, I simply won't attend. When do people grow a spine -- when they receive their undergraduate degree?

I wish I could "like" all aspects of this post a thousand times. I have been out of college for a while now and always just sort of disregarded the comments about how campuses had become little fiefdoms ruled by the various interest groups, but holy shit is it ever true. God forbid an educator/institution/programming director actually challenge the princes and princesses and risk being accused of violating their safe space.

Sam Harris had a guest on his podcast a few weeks ago who discussed being unable to teach his curriculum at one of the more respected non-Ivy universities in the US - the University of Virginia - because of this bullshit. The podcast is here and is worth listening to in its entirety, but the bit about safe spaces is isolated in a youtube clip here.

I had the displeasure to meet and work with Julia Roberts on a movie filmed here in Wisconsin. She is the most vile human being I have ever met. And pretty much all of the crew concurred. I cannot watch anything involving Julia Roberts without cringing. She was such a nasty woman that I will never give her my business.

For those of you who like Julia Roberts let me explain that before this movie I was one of her biggest fans. She was mean and nasty to the children in the movie, to all her staffers, and to everyone working on the crew.

What movie were they working on?

I'm torn on PC behavior. On the on hand, I believe that behaving in a PC fashion is just executing basic decency to not pile on more derogatory behavior towards a group of people who have seen enough abuse or oppression already in their lifetime.

On the other hand, I can recognize when the intent behind someone using the word gay or fag has no basis in hatred or homophobia, and comes from cultural exposure as kids. Where there is no hate, it's hard for me to be offended. But it's easy for me to say that. I'm not part of an oppressed class of any kind.

Anyway, I try to avoid charged language, except for obvious comic effect, and don't hold it against others when I know they're not full of hate.
I hate all PC culture. It make some people self-censor, so I have no idea who is genuinely a decent person and who is faking it to score social brownie points. Could Donald Sterling have bought the Clippers if the NBA, the players and the people of LA knew his views beforehand. He put on the PC face and profited.

I hate all PC culture. It make some people self-censor, so I have no idea who is genuinely a decent person and who is faking it to score social brownie points. Could Donald Sterling have bought the Clippers if the NBA, the players and the people of LA knew his views beforehand. He put on the PC face and profited.

so you prefer a culture of perpetuating stereotypes and bigotry?

so you prefer a culture of perpetuating stereotypes and bigotry?
Huh? Political Correctness doesn't change what is in a person's heart. I want everyone to not be bigoted, but if someone is, I don't want them to hide it so I can make the quick decision to not invest any time associating with them.

Do you prefer a culture full of liars and bigots who hide their beliefs?

Last edited:
Huh? Political Correctness doesn't change what is in a person's heart. I want everyone to not be bigoted, but if someone is, I don't want them to hide it so I can make the quick decision to not invest any time associating with them.

I didn't say you wanted people to be bigoted, but PC culture is the repression of that bigotry. The opposite of PC culture is unbridled bigotry. I'd rather have people supress their hatred, and over time society will be come more tolerant of others as it becomes less acceptable to hold these views by more and more people.

I didn't say you wanted people to be bigoted, but PC culture is the repression of that bigotry. The opposite of PC culture is unbridled bigotry. I'd rather have people supress their hatred, and over time society will be come more tolerant of others as it becomes less acceptable to hold these views by more and more people.
Rejecting PC culture doesn't mean bigotry is promoted to unbridled levels, nor do we even have to accept bigotry. Recognize it, ostracize it, vote with our wallets etc. When has forceful repression benefited society? Pray the gay away doesn't work. Al-Maliki did a bang-up job repressing the Sunnis. Martin Luther King made progress by facing racism out in the open, not by asking the racists to supress their beliefs. My friends and I grew up with mildly racist parents. It didn't rub off on us and as time went on we changed our parents beliefs before political correctness was part of the common lexicon.

Getting to know our fellow man has a greater effect on changing hearts and minds. If people are unwilling to do so, that is on them. Playing thought police isn't going to make them willing.

Rejecting PC culture doesn't mean bigotry is promoted to unbridled levels, nor do we even have to accept bigotry. Recognize it, ostracize it, vote with our wallets etc. When has forceful repression benefited society? Pray the gay away doesn't work. Al-Maliki did a bang-up job repressing the Sunnis. Martin Luther King made progress by facing racism out in the open, not by asking the racists to supress their beliefs. My friends and I grew up with mildly racist parents. It didn't rub off on us and as time went on we changed our parents beliefs before political correctness was part of the common lexicon.

Getting to know our fellow man has a greater effect on changing hearts and minds. If people are unwilling to do so, that is on them. Playing thought police isn't going to make them willing.
We're talking about a culture of PC behavior. Not forced suppression. The culture of PC behavior exists because people are making it clear that bigotry and oppression are not cool to them, and others are suppressing that behavior in order to be accepted by society. This is the evolution you say you want.

Another example of a highly questionable response to the reveal that a food critic was part of skinhead culture in his youth.

Eater.com Editor Placed On Leave After Apologizing for Racist Punk Past

So he was a shithead (ayo) dumb kid and has apologized pretty sincerely from what I can tell, but nevertheless he is evidently not fit to edit a food criticism website. Makes a ton of sense...

Agreed - Total BS....because I want to read his reviews of at least one each:
Mexican, Chinese, Jewish, Vegan, & TransG restaurant.

Agreed - Total BS....because I want to read his reviews of at least one each:
Mexican, Chinese, Jewish, Vegan, & TransG restaurant.

The thing that makes it a no-brainer to me is that it's in the past and he is pretty obviously contrite. We live in such a disgustingly unforgiving time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom