Cancelled Cali, Cruise or other old school THC set (ct 500-700, EX+, budget $10 to $35/chip) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketAces

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Not quite sure there is such a thing as chipping retirement but let’s try…it feels like we are at the highs on chip pricing so someone might be tempted.

What I am after: Unfortunately for me I like unicorns: Cali or Cruise set would be great but it doesn’t have to be that. Let’s say I d like to buy an old school, leaded THC cash set . No mixed set, and obv no NAGB unless there is a deal to be done with a third party. Breakdown must include at least 2 racks of $1 and $5. Targeting 500-700 chips in EX/Mint condition.

Budget: don’t have a budget in mind. Let’s define it as a wide range going from $10 to $35/chip. Show me an offer I might lift it. I would offer trade options but I don’t think I have anything that interesting.

Terms of this ad:
- I want to see what I get after a week before making a decision.
- if we have a serious conversation about a set and a price, please don’t go shop that bid away.
- seller get ROFR
- shipping is on me and I’m responsible for the chips once they have been dropped off/picked up

tx for looking
Alex

Last edited:
Alex is an A+ member, can't say enough good things about him. Maybe some older members could connect him with some no-longer-PCFers who have some sets that would fit the descriptions above.

Best of luck Alex, hope some goodies turn up !
+1 Alex is great. Someone sell a retirement set to him so we can get this whale out of the waters

Alex is an A+ member, can't say enough good things about him. Maybe some older members could connect him with some no-longer-PCFers who have some sets that would fit the descriptions above.

Best of luck Alex, hope some goodies turn up !

tx for the kind words Tom!

Any extra Cali sets for this guy @Windwalker? He wants to use his “one time”
No extra Cali sets, not sure that’s an actual thing. But I echo everyone’s sentiments about Alex. I had a lot of luck getting older sets from long-time chippers who were not using them much, or at all, and I hope that happens here. I’m too new to chipping to let any of my leaded THC sets go.

I'm listing this set as one of my Summer trades. It's not THC but does tick off a lot of boxes. And that giant inlay just exudes California sunshine. Good luck with your search, Alex.

PXL_20210723_184246326~2.jpg

PXL_20210723_183316809.jpg

Man... the possibilities of what this listing would have uncovered 2 years ago... very different times and happy to see some people value their chips more than money. Good luck with the Hunt Alex!! Retirement sounds harsh, a listing like this scares me, you need to find that one set that speaks to you!! Not what other people say is "the best!"

Ben story time... this is a long one from the heart! Proceed with caution Hombres!!

As everyone knows like many others Brie and I came into this hobby guns blazing buying up all kinds of stuff... 5 sets, 10 sets, 20 freaking sets of poker chips!! But why... what was missing, why weren't they bringing me happiness? We open a set or a rack... throw it to the side and get right back online looking for the next thing!

Brie was different, she found her love for the PCAs very early on and even when people (including myself) told her that secondaries were out of her price range, she just shrugged her shoulders and moved on building her set! Since then she has built an absolutely amazing and envious set of chips that most are jealous of!

Every meet up and every event I would say ... "but I really don't have anything meet up worthy" every single response ever since has been exactly the same... "but you guys have PCAs"... while that sounds awesome that has always been "Bries baby" I really have nothing to do with that and therefore bring nothing to the table... I know everyone says "you guys have so many amazing chip sets" but really our local crew own so many top quality TRKs, Paulsons, HOF cutoms... it is very hard to compete in the MD/VA/PA area. Even my hard earned TRKs just seem second notch with Mapes, Rounders, Nevada Lodge...

So what would give me that Grail feeling, something unique that no one else had but would give me that feeling of... ohh those are Ben's chips! That feeling that I was doing something special in this hobby! The End of the road so to speak!

Not going to go into detail and bore everyone with the back story on the Jokers Wild chips... I plan to one day do a write up of my adventure but haven't got around to it yet. Anyways... Brie was trying to find a frac (my favorite chip ever) for K9DR before SQM this year... just a single chip... but in response we found one of those dreams... someone had these chips hiding in a closet for almost 30 years... far from playable as it didn't have $1s and very few $5s, but a playable quantity of my favorite chip ever! And the fact that we only know of 3 - 4 outside of the chips in our set. 100% rare, 100% desirable... I absolutely love anything circus related with bright colors and a Jester definitely takes the cake on this idea...
20210129_124552.jpg

There is no way in 2021 I should be able to put together a Leaded shaped inlay THC Cali set... all I can say is that I used my "one time" and things were meant to be with a ton of help from several members in the community!

All of a sudden... I am sitting at my little table looking at this!
20210515_004043.jpg

It cost me way more than I would ever be comfortable saying... let's just say this one isnt going to be paid off for a while!

But as soon as I knew it was possible it clicked that I finally found my Grail set... one that would absolutely go to the grave with me... it doesn't matter if someone offered a hundred grand! There is absolutely no way I would part with these chips! Now 10 years from now... who knows, maybe I change my mind. My tastes may change and the "awesome, new and fresh" might wear off. But my point is that we all need to find that set that speaks to us on a personal level, also i am not a fan of buying a whole "turn key, ready to go set" money is just money. I earned these chips, I built the set. I hand cleaned, flattened and oiled everyone of them. I didn't buy them in one lot... there was no certainty of how long it would take me to accomplish this goal and I didn't care! 5 years... 10 years! I knew what I wanted and i am not sure I will ever consider this complete, I will always be hunting them!

But what it did was gave me peace! I can go weeks now with out checking the classifieds, I don't even care what the next big sale is. If something cool comes along... ok, if not who cares I have my babies...

Chipping Nirvana... yes, chipping retirement? Absolutely not! I love our hobby, I love our friends here on the forum. We are here for the long haul! A long way from chipping veterans! Yes I still consider myself a noob, not sure when I get to loose the "rookie driver" magnet. But I can see where you go throught the phases in this hobby and there are many along the journey..

1) come in "Guns a blazing" buy every damn thing you see without even thinking about it! Why because they are chips and they are awesome!! I need Moar Moar damn it!!

2) ok this is ridiculous, let me get rid of some of this random crap and try to concentrate on building a few nice sets to cover what I need! I think I know what I like but still not sure

2.5) let me step outside my comfort zone and attend a meet up with some other chipping nerds... I really am not comfortable but everyone says I need to try it!

Damn that was fun... XXX has the most amazing chips ever... why the hell am I over here wasting my time with this stuff! That is obviously where I need to be! But they started 10 years ago, I am never getting there

3) alright in reality a few sets of decent chips that I can cover any game, not that awesome but cool enough that people would ask to play them again... I am content!

3.5) are there any more meet ups coming up? Where... man I would really love the opportunity to meet xxx, yyy, zzz and it has been a while since I have seen a, b and C ( @Cliff LOL)

4) wait for it... it's coming!! That one time opportunity to actually buy something awesome!! (A HOF CPC set, TRKs, Leaded THC paulsons) omg is this really happening to me??

4.5) oh crap... I need to find more meet ups now. I have to show these off to my friends!!

5) oh... let's check the classifieds... yup those are pretty damn cool, but not like my XXX... keep scrolling. What end of new listings... but wait I didn't find a single chip I wanted.

5.5) that's ok I have those other meet ups coming later this year, I can relax and actually have some money in the bank and not worry about the cost of a burger at Wendy's this week and if I can pay my poker chip tab and my bills... life is good!

6) something cool pops up. That's awesome I actually like those better than my 5th best set... I will sell these and buy those. If it happens cool, if not who really cares. After all they are just chips right?

7) Congratulations you have made it to the top of the mountain! Hit cruise control, enjoy your chips, enjoy the game, your friends... if something unique pops up hell, go for it, if not that is ok too!

But NEVER RETIREMENT! Lol

Sorry for the mission statement! Home sick and alone with nothing better to do. Thise that made it this far... find me on "I heart radio" pod casts... I am under "the chipping idiot that thinks someone really is cares his opinions. Hes not actually that funny, and his long ass posts actually annoy the ever living f**k out of me!" Until next time!

Fellow chipper Ben

Ps. I do not have any pod casts... they would fire me in 5 minutes! Lol

Funny I typed this out before seeing the "podcast post!" As I said careful what you ask for Alex!! Lmao happy Monday Y'all!!

@Ben8257 - Thanks for taking the time, your thoughts are always appreciated.

I used the term "retirement" a bit loosely here. No chance I stop being involved in the hobby - best thing I am taking out of the past 15mo I have spent here is the friendships I have made, and I would stay just for that. I am also a super curious guy by nature, I spend countless hours browsing PCF, the Chip Guide etc looking for inspiration, ideas, find out about the story behind a particular card room etc. I am not done discovering new things.

Every journey is different I guess, but I can relate to many points you have made. Just like you and many others, the sets you will see in my collection tell a story about me and about my experience on PCF! This might inspire a post my collection thread at some point, but yes sure, I am already kind of happy where I am.

I joined PCF because I wanted some nice chips. "One set...just one". Very early on, I found a thread about an old Lakeshore Inn auction. Ruined chipping for me :)ROFL: :ROFLMAO:): if I could have one set, this is the set I want. When I realized the set sold for $8k I thought "who in their right mind spends that kind of money on chips". And I guess that sentiment has stayed with me since then. Torn between the fact that I could actually afford it and the obscenity of spending that kind of money on toys, which makes me feel like I behave like a spoiled child. And btw I am not in a position to judge what people do with their money - my post up there about the watch is probably more a reflection of how I feel about all this (a bit stupid). But I have come to terms with the fact that maybe, its what I might have to do - it worked for others right? One last try.

And of course, we all value our chips for more than money, if we were value driven buyers, we'd be all buying dice chips (we might soon have to). They have ultimately the same utility. But that's not what we are after. I think the feeling of chasing/owning a crown jewel (and what that is is different for everyone) can't be dissociated with the act of collecting. At least, it's true for me. And I won't judge the person who sells a set for the money chips sell for these days.

After 12mo into the hobby and close to 5k chips collected (mostly Cali card room chips, so there is a theme), I am still chasing the feeling I had when I first saw the Lakeshores. Can't fight it! But maybe there is another set? This is why this thread exists.

And at the end of the week, the conclusion might be that I still have more sense than money, and the feeling will go away. Good! Or maybe, I will find the set that makes me forget about everything else. Either way, it doesn't matter, life is good and I am looking forward to seeing where this journey takes me (probably a CPC custom lol).

@Ben8257 - Thanks for taking the time, your thoughts are always appreciated.

I used the term "retirement" a bit loosely here. No chance I stop being involved in the hobby - best thing I am taking out of the past 15mo I have spent here is the friendships I have made, and I would stay just for that. I am also a super curious guy by nature, I spend countless hours browsing PCF, the Chip Guide etc looking for inspiration, ideas, find out about the story behind a particular card room etc. I am not done discovering new things.

Every journey is different I guess, but I can relate to many points you have made. Just like you and many others, the sets you will see in my collection tell a story about me and about my experience on PCF! This might inspire a post my collection thread at some point, but yes sure, I am already kind of happy where I am.

I joined PCF because I wanted some nice chips. "One set...just one". Very early on, I found a thread about an old Lakeshore Inn auction. Ruined chipping for me :)ROFL: :ROFLMAO:): if I could have one set, this is the set I want. When I realized the set sold for $8k I thought "who in their right mind spends that kind of money on chips". And I guess that sentiment has stayed with me since then. Torn between the fact that I could actually afford it and the obscenity of spending that kind of money on toys, which makes me feel like I behave like a spoiled child. And btw I am not in a position to judge what people do with their money - my post up there about the watch is probably more a reflection of how I feel about all this (a bit stupid). But I have come to terms with the fact that maybe, its what I might have to do - it worked for others right? One last try.

And of course, we all value our chips for more than money, if we were value driven buyers, we'd be all buying dice chips (we might soon have to). They have ultimately the same utility. But that's not what we are after. I think the feeling of chasing/owning a crown jewel (and what that is is different for everyone) can't be dissociated with the act of collecting. At least, it's true for me. And I won't judge the person who sells a set for the money chips sell for these days.

After 12mo into the hobby and close to 5k chips collected (mostly Cali card room chips, so there is a theme), I am still chasing the feeling I had when I first saw the Lakeshores. Can't fight it! But maybe there is another set? This is why this thread exists.

And at the end of the week, the conclusion might be that I still have more sense than money, and the feeling will go away. Good! Or maybe, I will find the set that makes me forget about everything else. Either way, it doesn't matter, life is good and I am looking forward to seeing where this journey takes me (probably a CPC custom lol).
Now this my friend is a well thought out quality Ben type post!! I also thank you for the time to type that out!!

I understand using the term loosely... just don't like the Idea of retirement... chip "Nirvana" seems more fitting! Again I hope this turns something up! I absolutely agree as far as seasoned veterans selling chip sets. They have owned and enjoyed them for years! If the prices are insane and their taste have changed or maybe just want to look at something new, who can blame them for moving on.

Back a year ago when some large sets started changing hands for huge amounts of money many were like "how the hell could they ever sell that!!" But again sometimes a fresh new custom CPC set might be just what that person needs after years of looking at the same chips month in and month out... I get it!

Again a very different hobby than when we started... I feel for the new guys coming in that are hungry for TRKs or Leaded THC Paulsons. 2 short years ago you could still make these dreams a reality! Now many of those will cost the same as a brand new car off the lot! Let's not forget that banks are willingto lend against those vehicles for a resonable intrest rate... chips, well... those have to be self funded and many of us just don't have means like that!

Hopefully your "one time" is out there waiting for you brother! Can't wait to see what it is one day!!

Ben

Hopefully your "one time" is out there waiting for you brother! Can't wait to see what it is one day!!

I am secretly hoping these show up (they won’t :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:)

66A70A4A-83C0-4396-9E54-EE55AEA9EBFA.jpeg

And with a bit of luck I can make it to one of the PCF meet ups stateside in 2022 :tup: lots of people I’d like to meet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom