Building Supply Shortage During Covid-19 (1 Viewer)

Quicksilver-75

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Just wanted to point out that a long standing theory of mine is being validated lately. I think I’ve read of about 4-5 table builds going on in the last few weeks. (So the real number is probably much higher) If all of you degenerate bastards would stop building tables for your hobbies maybe Home Depot and Lowe’s shoppers could complete some home reno’s. :LOL: :laugh: :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I can’t wait to post some pics of my latest build...

Yeah, my woodshed cost me 2x due to lumber prices skyrocketing. :bigbucks::mad:

4DD454BE-F4D5-4D78-9A43-2D5818658686.jpeg
1F9DF5EE-83E5-4527-A225-D5BE8B515F76.jpeg

Presume this is a Canuck problem as supply chain was never a legitimate issue in the U.S. Hoarders, sure, but the supply chain was, and is, effectively unaffected.

Presume this is a Canuck problem as supply chain was never a legitimate issue in the U.S. Hoarders, sure, but the supply chain was, and is, effectively unaffected.
Must have been. There was nothing to be had here for quite some time. Not an ice block for an igloo to be found anywhere.

• Sad
Reactions: BNM
Mills shut down to comply with government restrictions, demand caught up to supply eventually and prices increased. Will be a while before mills can catch up and prices become reasonable again.

1605976833275.jpeg

• Haha
It also has to do with the >20% tariff on softwood lumber that Trump slapped on Canadian imports (which I believe accounts for more than 25% of US consumption). US producers claim unfair competition (which the WTO has ruled against), even though they do not have the capacity to supply their own market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-spat-with-canada-is-costing-u-s-homebuilders
https://globalnews.ca/news/7312096/canada-softwood-lumber-tariff-dispute-u-s-trudeau/

• Wow
I was setting up for a fantasy football draft back at the end of august. We use my buddies shop and build a fake wall for the draft boards out of 5 or 6 sheets of whatever is the cheapest plywood, usually $5-$8. Works out usually because between my buddy and I we use those sheets up somehow throughout the year....

This year that trip would’ve been up around $150; cheapest sheets in the store were up around $25. Couldn’t imagine building a house during this stuff, just another thing in this world this virus has drastically affected.

Mills shut down to comply with government restrictions, demand caught up to supply eventually and prices increased. Will be a while before mills can catch up and prices become reasonable again.

View attachment 577741

Prices are already dropping. Lumber is sold in $/mbf. At the height of the price run it was $1300/mbf, in the last 4 weeks it has dropped to $700/mbf, but rebounded to around $800 in the last week.

OSB is still high, but about 10% off the max price it hit. OSB is the most likely to crash due to production being a matter of adding shifts to production vs legit raw material issues.

Plywood is high too, and likely to stay high for some time. Veneer is an issue as the engineered wood market pulls a significant amount of the high quality veneers.

Pressure treated supply across all of North America was an issue - if you weren’t affected, you were extremely lucky.

Demand overall is likely to stay high with US starts sitting at 1.5M and a significant short term switch to single family vs the last 5 year trend of multi family. As you can imagine, there is far more material in a single family start vs a multi family.

It also has to do with the >20% tariff on softwood lumber that Trump slapped on Canadian imports (which I believe accounts for more than 25% of US consumption). US producers claim unfair competition (which the WTO has ruled against), even though they do not have the capacity to supply their own market.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-spat-with-canada-is-costing-u-s-homebuilders
https://globalnews.ca/news/7312096/canada-softwood-lumber-tariff-dispute-u-s-trudeau/
This has been ongoing since the 80’s. US claims that because the majority of the logging rights are on Crown Land (owned by the government) that it qualifies as a subsidy, which there is some legitimacy to. End of the day though, the subsidy just costs the consumers more money.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom