Build thread-table topper (1 Viewer)

Frogzilla

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
I have convinced the house manager to let me build a “game table” topper to place on our dining room table.

Here’s the build thread.

Starting point:
image.jpg

48” x 60” dining room table. Counter height. A bit higher and wider than I’d prefer, but I expect to be a manageable for a poker game.

Rail build part 1:
Going with a 5” gravity rail. I want a raised outer rail to help keep the topper in place. Here’s my sketch of the concept. We’ll see how it goes. I’m admittedly not the most wood-savvy person, but I learn by doing and have to start somewhere.
Here’s the rough sketch:
image.jpg

Cutting the 2x4 to form outer raised rail:
9CF92903-F98C-4FB5-A9EF-5B4C832857CC.jpeg

Routing the channel for main rail portion (may have also started a small sawdust fire, whoops!)
0B8B9537-6BF1-4017-8533-DF0BC03391EE.jpeg

Why not have curved rounded edges?

I didn’t want to extend the length past 60” for two reasons:

1) I wanted to make this game table actually useful for dominos, spades, board games like settlers of catan, etc.

2) This room would be too tight

Adding a curvature to the ends would go a long way towards improving poker play comfort (while not negatively affecting other game play), and would only extend the total length by six inches.

So, had so many issues getting the rail straight. And then realized my plywood was really warped. And then realized my counter height table is going to be way too high with a 3-4” tall topper (including rail) to play comfortably. In addition to the issues with square table above.

Not one to give up, this thread is now a Barrington reupholster thread. Table 2 is going to be the smart way...just call ChanMan.

Halfway done!
58815E32-C3DD-481A-923C-012F1A387DE6.jpeg

Last edited:
So, had so many issues getting the rail straight. And then realized my plywood was really warped. And then realized my counter height table is going to be way too high with a 3-4” y’all topper (including rail) to play comfortably. In addition to the issues with square table above.

Not one to give up, this thread is now a Barrington reupholster thread. Table 2 is going to be the smart way...just call ChanMan.

Halfway done!
View attachment 268355
Love the rail color!

Reds a good color!

Red is “exciting” and “stimulating”; blue is “comfortable,” “secure” and “soothing”; orange is “disturbing” and green is “leisurely.” Color can affect physiological reactions such as blood pressure, breathing rate, mood and arousal. In gambling situations, research (including some of my own) has shown that people will gamble and stake money more under red light than colors towards the blue end of the spectrum.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom