Breathing life into old Paulsons (1 Viewer)

Kensco

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
'Cause you can't toss 'em out...

Picked these up on the cheap as a labeling project. I can't imagine the amount of play it takes to get them to this level of wear!

Too fragile to be milled - a couple have been glued back together and a few look like they had a run in with a belt sander. The recesses on the white and yellow are fairly good, but those on a good number of the blacks and reds are almost imperceptible.

I had Gear print the labels non-laminated & non-textured to give them the best chance to nestle down in what recess was remaining.

...and here they are for your viewing pleasure

Garage001.jpg

Garage002.jpg

These are the prettiest ones. Yikes!

Garage003.jpg

I tried to make a label befitting their overall state. I like it.

Garage004.jpg
Garage005.jpg
Garage006.jpg
Garage007.jpg
Garage008.jpg
Garage009.jpg
Garage0010.jpg
Garage0011.jpg
Garage0012.jpg
Garage0013.jpg
Garage0014.jpg
Garage0015.jpg
Garage0016.jpg
Garage0017.jpg
Garage0018.jpg
Garage0019.jpg
Garage0020.jpg

Last edited:
I like it!
But the way you described them, I was expecting to see some bike tire wafers. Those aren't in THAT bad shape and I bet they could have been milled - not that they needed to be.

Bonus points for the dice in the case, lol.

In all seriousness, it would be cool if you could find some decks of cards made to look like they're yellowed and worn down. Maybe @desjgn could mock something up?

Omfg!
Before pics = garbage, there's no hope.
After pics = sweet jebus!

That label design is so awesome it literally saved these chips. The chips look great now.

This is giving me label ideas.
Did Gear design the label also?

Thank you! I drew up the labels.

Gear gets a big tip of the hat for quality materials and printing - and consultation (y) :thumbsup:. I was originally going to go with a 7/8" label, which is what you see on factory labels with this mold. Thank goodness he spoke up because, though it looks good pressed into a chip, the smaller label would've looked terrible.

Bonus points for the dice in the case, lol.

In all seriousness, it would be cool if you could find some decks of cards made to look like they're yellowed and worn down. Maybe @desjgn could mock something up?

You been creepin' in my house? Your comment reminded me I had these tucked away:

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg

Nice set. I like how the weathered labels match the weathered chips. I haven't seen that before in a label.

I personally would have swapped the quarter and the fives, for a more California theme, but you really did a great job with these.

Nice set. I like how the weathered labels match the weathered chips. I haven't seen that before in a label.
There was an old BCC set on the TFP mold that did something similar with the weathered look, but not nearly to the awesome effect as this inlay. The chips were called 'The Commission', and used a weathered font for the denominations and gangster-related names that appeared on the inlays:

commission5.jpg

commission9.jpg

commission4.jpg

commission3.jpg

commission8.jpg

commission7.jpg

commission6.jpg

Or maybe it was just a crappy printing job on those ancient BCC printers..... :D

Great work. Turning the nickels into $20s might be more useful.

In a previous life. Not with this crowd! As it is, the fives will probably never see play.

In fact, guy on the right is about to call and drag 15¢ (n) :thumbsdown::mad:

OPP.jpg

I retired to a small town of 300. I'm slowly building a table of regulars out of people who usually play pinochle.

First game, it took half the night to drive home the concept of the bet being at least the size of the big blind, and any raise being at least the size of the previous bet/raise. A concept that did not carry over consistently to subsequent games...

Then I thought limit betting might be the baby-step needed. Man, was I wrong :eek:

I've almost come to accept pot splashing and phrases like "Call your bet and raise you" or "see your XX and bump it XX"

The most headway I've made was in a game that I was the dedicated dealer. I'll probably go back to that but it kind of sucks to keep everyone focused and play my cards, and drink:).

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom