Bored with chipping and sick of poker (3 Viewers)

Dibs Poker Labs!

Sorry to hear this. Maybe take a break from playing for a couple of months? Usually the degen tingles become hard to ignore for me after about 6 weeks of not playing.

Never thought it would happen to me. Any advice?

Also, if anyone wants one of my “grail sets” now is your chance. IYKYK.
lol once you sell one you will care again.

What did you want out of the experiences of collecting and playing? Sometimes achieving the goal is more disappointing than pursuing it. When you don’t have to try anymore it isn’t as interesting.

Go on a poker cruise. Rest and relaxation coupled with opportunities to play makes it a bit more exciting.

Play less frequently. Playing every week can become tedious. I take small breaks regularly. I haven’t played in my groups online game this month but am starting to get the tingles to play again.

With the weather about to change doing some other activities, getting out in the sun will revitalize you.

Never thought it would happen to me. Any advice?
… IYKYK.
IMG_2641.jpeg

@Leonard ?

I agree with the above sentiments. Don't sell anything just yet. If in 6 months you are still "bored", then entertain offers. Any of your sets should sell pretty easily. Re-acquiring them will be difficult and expensive.

I like @mike32 suggestion. Look for another hobby, re-visit an old hobby?

I started collecting chips and playing poker relatively late (15'ish years ago). I am still having fun!

Don't sell. Wait to see how long this lasts first.
In the meantime, maybe switch it up and help noobs. Engage them, send some free samples via giveaways, host free noob games as a school, generally spark the flame in others. That may reignite you interest.

You (from the outside looking in on all this) ramped up the social aspect of the hobby, you def appeared to ramp up your chip sets or level of them, you've dove into the custom side and the relabel side, and you've moved into hosting your own meetup. At that point your kinda......done?

Just looking around, it happens somewhat frequently here. Would seem weird to let chip sets go though, just because of a lull. Something I've found helpful is the whole friends & family fror thing. If the money isn't super important but the chips were meaningful at one point or "grail" worthy, chances are they'll be meaningful again. Personally I'm all for moving chipsets, because someone else would be head over heels for some of those sets. It can be satisfying to see them in the hands of those that love them and will get them in play. You can get them out for reasonable price to trusted folks, knowing that they may end up back home with you one day.

But like everyone will say, there's an ebb and a flow. Personally my "boredom" of chipping came down simply to time, finances, and value. I don't have time to be full in on this type of hobby, it's out of my financial range as I'd rather spend on hosting a meetup or such, and with work and family the value add simply isn't there. But I would imagine most of those things will evolve or change for me, much like your situation is likely to change or evolve for you.

Honestly not logging in every day and keeping up is nice. And makes the times where you come back in to see highlights or catch up nice as well. Start there and see where the wind takes you!

Don’t know about chipping, but for poker, you could try playing higher stakes (if you can afford it). If you currently play 10/20, cut your teeth on 25/50 or 50/100 or try to get on one of the streamed games.

I havent been into chipping as much as I used to. I used to be on here all day long, now I visit a few times a week. This is not the first time I have slowed down or taken an extended break. I have been in the chipping community since the Chiptalk days. I can say the one thing i regret is selling off a bunch of chips because I have no desire to rebuild any of my old sets due to cost and time. I still kept all of my favorites luckily. I guess my advice here is to take some time and do something else for a while and then come back and see how you feel.

I have never lost the poker itch though, I still play as much as possible live(like once a week) but have completely lost all interest in online poker.

I said the same thing the other night when I got all in with the wheel rap and K hi flush draw and totally whiffed on 2 run outs. Felted for a big pot. Told everyone that was it, I was done. Last game forever. Selling the table and chips. Sat out and ate 5 chocolate snack packs. After that sat back down and three hours later (after playing like a complete ass), I surprisingly won all my money back and said ……. see you all next week.

Point of the story is that eating a ridiculous amount of snack packs cure all bad feelings and puts you right back in the game.

Hopefully you will find a new joy in another hobby, then after a bit, you may want to renew your lost passion for chipping and poker.
I know that I have 8 regulars and friends that love poker, but we also all like other hobbies or passions, so from May- Nov, we all do other things like travel, golf, leisure, pickleball, etc.etc.
When summer has come and gone, we can't wait to get back on the felt and play poker over the fall and winter. We play home games twice a month, and once a week on line as a group...it's nice to change pace, just so we don't get bored of what we all love to do.
Good Luck

I periodically need breaks from poker and/or PCF. I just took two months off PCF, from early December to right before SQM. I came back excited for the meetup and ready to start reading and posting again.

Take a break. Do NOT sell anything yet. If you still feel done in a few months, dibs.

I said the same thing the other night when I got all in with the wheel rap and K hi flush draw and totally whiffed on 2 run outs. Felted for a big pot. Told everyone that was it, I was done. Last game forever. Selling the table and chips. Sat out and ate 5 chocolate snack packs. After that sat back down and three hours later (after playing like a complete ass), I surprisingly won all my money back and said ……. see you all next week.

Point of the story is that eating a ridiculous amount of snack packs cure all bad feelings and puts you right back in the game.

Really?? Because all I read is degenerate.

I’ve had a couple of different hobbies over the last 25 years and they can definitely run hot and cold. Not sure I can pin point why TBH, but I think it’s somewhat natural.

I always end up cycling back and in those instances I’m always glad I didn’t sell. Sleep on it before you sell anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom