Black Sands Reborn (1 Viewer)

Irish

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
This year ended up being a really big chipping year for me, and this will be one of several pron threads coming in the next few weeks. Two of these projects were pretty old projects that I had nearly given up on - but this year I was finally able to see these projects come to light. This is one of them. These Black Sands chips were originally produced by ASM as part of a group by over at CT back in ~2007. I didn't get in on the group buy at that point (still new to chipping), but I always thought the design was really sharp.

I had the opportunity to pick up a small cash set from the group buy organizer several years ago, using it for quarter-quarter post-tourney cash games. The breakdown worked perfect for those games, but was a little light to use on a regular cash night with 8 to 10 guys. About a year or so after purchasing the set, CPC opened it's doors from the ashes of ASM Vegas, and my hopes for adding onto the set were re-born. It took nearly 2 years to reconnect with the GB organizer to get permission to use the artwork and work out the order details, but I was finally able to place my order earlier this year. And then of course last month I got the USPS shipment notification the day I left for a 2 week vacation down in Florida.... ...but now I've finally got them in my paws :)

It was my original intent to place a smaller add-on order (~300 chips), however given the DG colors that CPC uses now are a good deal brighter and more colorful than the ASM days, I opted to get enough to fully replace the DG pink quarters and DG green fivers. The other 2 colors (imperial blue and black) are spot on with the original colors. I know the hourglass mold doesn't get a lot of love around these parts, but I think it works perfect with this set. CPC did a great job in producing these, their line of DG colors are fantastically bright and colorful. And I'd like to throw out a huge thanks to @ACE'S FULL for both selling me the original set, granting me permission to do the add-on and digging up the old artwork files to send over to the good folks at CPC.

Anyways, onto some pron:

Add-on order:
2016_11_20_IMG_3080.JPG

New Line-up:
2016_11_20_IMG_3094.JPG

25¢ comparison (2007 ASM vs 2016 CPC)
2016_11_20_IMG_3097.JPG

$1 comparison (2007 ASM vs 2016 CPC)
2016_11_20_IMG_3098.JPG

$5 comparison (2007 ASM vs 2016 CPC)
2016_11_20_IMG_3099.JPG

$20 comparison (2007 ASM vs 2016 CPC)
2016_11_20_IMG_3100.JPG

New complete set:

2016_11_20_IMG_3102.JPG

2016_11_20_IMG_3103.JPG

Full set with all old and new chips:
2016_11_20_IMG_3106.JPG

Last edited:
Wow, looks great Irish! I've always been a big of that set. I didn't start chipping until 2008, so I was just after that GB as well. The difference in DG colors is striking. I'm glad Aces was able to hook you for the artwork for an add on. Love the HG mood on these and I think it really makes the solids pop. Congrats!

Congrats on a great set. Cool that you are using the hourglass mold. In my one year around here I have not seen the HG mold getting much love when people are creating new custom sets, and I have been curious about why as to me it's one of the most visually appealing CPC molds. Works great with your set for sure!

I love the black inlay on solids and how the colors on the inlay match the chips. Absolutely beautiful set!

Great job, Irish! Congrats on completing them.

Great chips! I've always thought the hourglass mold was an underused and under appreciate mold.

I have a set of 300, but I'd sure like to get more, as well.

I have three (I think) sets on the hourglass mold -- it's still my favorite, along with the MD-50.

I've never felt HG in stacks. How does it compare to MD50?

I'd, ehum, be in for a set of these as well.:whistle: :whistling:

Solids are really winning me over. This set is just amazing! The black inlays and colors...just beautiful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom