Biggest Poker chip purchase regret? (1 Viewer)

KaePe

High Hand
Reaction score
What poker chips do you regret purchasing? And for what reasons? I regret purchasing a set of slowplay ABS slug chips. Fancy packaging for a cheap set.

My first 3 uneducated purchases were of increasing "stepping stone" sets....before I learned what I should really be looking for.
They were "Bee" chips, dice chips, then Ace-King suited (also metal slugged). Discovered Pauson and never looked back.

My first 3 uneducated purchases were of increasing "stepping stone" sets....before I learned what I should really be looking for.
They were "Bee" chips, dice chips, then Ace-King suited (also metal slugged). Discovered Pauson and never looked back.
I do love the Paulson chips I’ve had the opportunity to handle. Only small sample sets tho. I’ve never played with a full set

If we’re talking monetary regrets, I do regret sinking money into used Chipcos, because it can be tough getting your money back out of those. Fortunately it wasn’t that much.
I’ve had a habit of building sets from singles. And singles, especially eBay singles, get REALLY expensive when you figure in shipping costs. It worked okay for me financially with the Gulfports and with the THC Foxwoods, because both of those sets ended up being worth more than the sum of their parts. But all the other times I’ve put together barrels from eBay singles, I’ve taken a bath when I’ve gotten tired of the project and resold them. Still, there’s something to be said for the thrill of the case and for checking mail. So all told, all good.

The Dunes/Desert Palms china v1 , cheap plastic, got rid of them

If we’re talking monetary regrets, I do regret sinking money into used Chipcos, because it can be tough getting your money back out of those. Fortunately it wasn’t that much.
I’ve had a habit of building sets from singles. And singles, especially eBay singles, get REALLY expensive when you figure in shipping costs. It worked okay for me financially with the Gulfports and with the THC Foxwoods, because both of those sets ended up being worth more than the sum of their parts. But all the other times I’ve put together barrels from eBay singles, I’ve taken a bath when I’ve gotten tired of the project and resold them. Still, there’s something to be said for the thrill of the case and for checking mail. So all told, all good.
I regret not owning a set of Gulfports.

I sold 2 custom clay sets because I didn't nail the theme and felt they were mediocre.

Can’t believe this hasn’t been posted yet… lol

1679874791970.jpeg

It’s not a big deal, but I individually ordered brybelly chips. I could have bought two whole sets, or a nicer set for the price, but I wanted certain denominations for how our game plays.

The only chip regrets I gave are purchases that I missed out on.

I missed out on one of the original Lake Shore lots that was on eBay about ten years ago. This set included a rack or two of the “X” dimes. I was actively searching on eBay at the time and somehow missed those. Their sale price was a bit on the high side for me at the time… over $1 per chip. I’ve always regretted not being more on top of that situation.

In my early days, someone was selling their ASM customs. I offered to buy, but there was confusion with another potential buyer who had “dibs…” I was new, didn’t need the chips. I backed away and let the other buyer have the chips. I don’t think the other buyer stuck around very long… I never saw future posts about the chips. I wish I had purchased those chips… this was back on CT.

I think it's telling that even in a thread asking for biggest poker chip purchase regrets, the conversation quickly becomes about the chips you didn't buy.

First thought is that it goes along with the main point of those clickbait "Top 5 Lessons from Dying People" I see pop increasingly (shit, I'm old!) in my feeds, which is that when folks look back on their lives their big regrets center around things they didn't do than things they did.

Second, that regret may have some connection to the idea of reversible vs permanent decisions. Simply, a reversible decision shouldn't be as hard to make and we should be ok taking more "risk" with it since it's effectively reversible, even though it doesn't seem that way at the time. E.g., if you buy a set of chips, you can always sell them. Yes, you might take a loss, but it will rarely be a big one.

Not buying a set of chips is not necessarily irreversible, but can be pretty close. E.g., I was agonizing over buying a set of cash Tigers when the sales were announced. As soon as the sales were over, I immediately regretted my decision, and as soon as I got a sample set in hand, I really regretted my decision. A couple of months later and I've built up a playable pri cash set (no hundos, though), but it's taken me way more time, and a little bit more money (transaction costs), and I don't even have a full set.

And yeah, like @Shaggy and @chipinla, my big regrets are the amazing sets that I had every opportunity to get in on at the beginning and said, "Nah, I think I'll pass!"
  • Custom TRKs (yep, they were still doing that when I started chippin' way back when)
  • Crown Plaza GB
  • LCO original offering
  • Tigers
  • Buying a PNY T25 set instead of a cash set
Not sure that they are regrets, because I learned something, but chips I sold/am selling without using include:
  • Europa B&Gs
    • Fine enough chips, but lack of $1s/fracs was a problem and ultimately they just didn't give me joy in person
  • New China Club cards mold
    • These did bring me joy in person, but not more than my other sets, and they never got used and I didn't see them ever getting used
  • Racks of mint RHCs in my trade thread
    • These chips also bring me joy in person, but the chips that bring me the most joy in my RHC mixed set project -- my GC $5s (thanks @ekricket!) -- are like a perfectly broken in catcher's mitt, and I realized that mint racks are just no bueno when paired with them. Wish I'd been honest with myself about this lesson earlier!
  • Racks of THCs in my trade thread
    • Again, great chips, but the lesson I learned the hard way is -- if you're starting a mixed set, you're doomed if you don't get the $5s first (I didn't)

Last edited:
Easy, custom BCC's.

Lousy QC and shitty customer service soured me to the entire set. They have sat in a box under the bed unused since I got them (well, the "replacements" intended to fix one of the very improperly made chips).

If the pain of that set wasn't enough, I still stub my toe on that box now and then. I really should push them further "inboard" beyond the side of the bed. :rolleyes:

I definitely don’t regret my super diamonds- they were a great placeholder for years. Lots of games, lots of laughs with those.

I regret a few decisions on my custom chips: quantities for a game I no longer host, rushed inlay designs, mixing molds, buying a set I don’t play with. A lot more cash shelled out that necessary.

If I could do it again? Two sets- my upcoming limit and one cash set.

Decisions I don’t regret- my B&G Europa limit set, that has served me very well as I got my act together.

Last edited:
I regret buying all the DBs I got. Good lord, somedays, they make me feel ill, and I don’t know why I buy so many.

Oh…and guess who is waiting on Acrylic DBs. Yep….that’s me.

Why did I order them, you ask? Good question…
We are all a bunch of weirdos for sure - paying so much for poker chips, and owning more than one set of poker chips. So it is with some weirdo love when I say this, but you dealer button collectors are weirdos.

I’d have to agree with @DirtyTIVA and say “I regret nothing” when it comes to my chip sets. :p
I never wasted time chasing the latest and greatest. My tastes in poker chips are very specific and I have to REALLY LIKE what I’m going to invest my time and money into.
Chips either “WOW ME” or they’re just another set of chips to me. ;)
1679918589072.gif

1679924632667.gif

Have I made perfect decisions in hundreds of transactions in the last 2 years chasing the latest and greatest (in my head)? Absolutely not :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

But I really do regret nothing. It’s all part of the journey.

1679924914899.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom