Tourney Better way to speed up a tournament? (2 Viewers)

DaneWoj

Two Pair
Reaction score
In my never ending quest to speed up my league events for next season, which route is more appealing to players?

Our 3 options are,

A. Using the same blind structure and shortening the starting stacks(15k=10k)

B. Shortening the time lengths of the levels and keeping starting stacks the same(20 mins=>18 mins)

C. Pulling out a few levels of our current structure.(pulling out the pointless 25/50 level and 250/500)

Any ideas would be helpful.

Shortening the time lengths of the levels and keeping starting stacks the same(20 mins=>18 mins)
For any given structure that is already a good balance of size (starting bb) and progression, changing the level times (within reason) is my preferred way of modifying overall tournament length.

I generally agree with BG, but if you provided your entire structure, we might see a blind level that could be eliminated and perhaps others adjusted that would accomplish the same things.

When going from 20 to 18, how many players at a table? For 10, I like 20 minutes since it likely allows every player to be in every position every blind round if hands average 2 min (a good general rule). We use 10 to a table, so I'm inclined to look at something other than blind times.

Also, how long are the events now? That might affect your overall strategy.

82B67982-6A7F-4A7F-9C71-A7276C15049E.jpeg

We play usually 9 handed sometimes 6 handed depending on the game type.

For any given structure that is already a good balance of size (starting bb) and progression, changing the level times (within reason) is my preferred way of modifying overall tournament length.

Got to agree with @BGinGA. Just shorten the levels.

I generally agree with BG, but if you provided your entire structure, we might see a blind level that could be eliminated and perhaps others adjusted that would accomplish the same things.

When going from 20 to 18, how many players at a table? For 10, I like 20 minutes since it likely allows every player to be in every position every blind round if hands average 2 min (a good general rule). We use 10 to a table, so I'm inclined to look at something other than blind times.

Also, how long are the events now? That might affect your overall strategy.

+1 If you can't play an entire orbit at a level it unfairly puts pressure on the short stacks, especially as people bust and for example one table plays 8 handed and the other has 9.

Reducing the starting stacks will have the least effect on the play of your tournament and will simply end it sooner. 200 big blinds to start a tourney is plenty.

+1 If you can't play an entire orbit at a level it unfairly puts pressure on the short stacks, especially as people bust and for example one table plays 8 handed and the other has 9.
I agree.
With this structure, I’d definitely eliminate levels before I shortened the stacks - specifically the 250/500 and the 1200/2400.

As for dumping levels I would agree 250-500 is too small of a jump, skipping that level is fine. Dumping it would let you drop the T25 chips on the break also.

If it were me I would also dump 500-1000, 1200-2400, 5000-10000.

Dump 4 levels save 80 mins.

All that said if you have a target time in mind, it would help to that and how many players you typically have.

Haven't been here long and wondering why this isn't being discussed more. If the players help out, it's usually not much of a burden to the dealer and it can really help keep the action going when things start slowing down in the later stages. Are antes generally frowned upon?

Haven't been here long and wondering why this isn't being discussed more. If the players help out, it's usually not much of a burden to the dealer and it can really help keep the action going when things start slowing down in the later stages. Are antes generally frowned upon?

Easier if one player antes for the table.

Having a designated dealer speeds up the game immensely (assuming the dealer knows what he/she is doing).

Just taking 2 minutes off each level of play will take more than 30 minutes off your total time played. 18 vs 20 minute levels isn't a game-strategy changer either.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom