Best way to ship a barrel or 2-3 barrels? (1 Viewer)

l33tf0b

Two Pair
Supporter
Reaction score
Hey All,

Best way to ship barrels and package them? Do I just use the Paulson boxes with the 5 sections?
I’ve always struggled Saran wrapping the chips - any tips on that as well? They always end up loose and wobbly as I wrap them.

I usually ship by the rack but have been doing barrels as well as of recent - all tips appreciated, Ty!

I’ve found that to Saran Wrap chips, take a large enough sheet, like 10”-12” or so. Lay the sheet down on the table , hold the chips tightly together and at the front of the sheet start rolling while holding the chips together. Grab the chips tightly and stretch the cling wrap very tightly as you continue to wrap up the chips. Folding up the sides as you go can help as well. Stretching very tightly is the key.

Basically, you’re making a tightly-stretched poker chip burrito.

When done, I usually wrap it in some packing tape, but not so much that it’s a pain in the ass to unwrap. If its easier for you to do 10 chips at a time, that’s fine too.

Shipping with the Paulson/Warneke boxes is also great, you can fill the empty sections with cardboard or anything, really.

I lay the wrap over a rack, push the barrel into the rack and start rolling the barrel inside the rack, allowing the wrap to close around the barrel as I roll.

I also saran wrap the Warneke boxes rather than use tape...keeps the boxes in newer condition. I will tape the ends after saran wrapping, but, that's probably overkill.

Last edited:
For 3-4 barrels, I sometimes modify the Warneke boxes after assembly to cut out the empty bays. You can fold and tape the end pieces up to make an end to the box. And then it fits much more easily in a USPS priority shipper.

You can do up to a barrel in a sandwich size ziplock. Roll it up tightly, tape it tight, stick it into a padded envelope mailer (with additional padding if necessary to keep it from moving around, and you’re good to go. USPS around $4.50.
IMG_9663.jpeg

IMG_9664.jpeg

You can do up to a barrel in a sandwich size ziplock. Roll it up tightly, tape it tight, stick it into a padded envelope mailer (with additional padding if necessary to keep it from moving around, and you’re good to go. USPS around $4.50.
View attachment 1289714
View attachment 1289715

TBH I don’t like sending or receiving chips this way.

Spreading the chips out like this exposes the edges to much more chance of damage, on both sides of the run. It’s turning the vulnerable edge outward, instead of partly protecting it within the barrel’s circumference.

At minimum, I would want the spread chips to be double bubble-enveloped.

Though in fact I recently received some chips that way and one of them did arrive damaged. I’m not certain whether the chipping occurred in transit, or if I harmed them myself opening the package (which was very tightly wrapped). But either way I believe the spread technique almost surely contributed to the problem.

Spreading the chips out like this exposes the edges to much more chance of damage, on both sides of the run. It’s turning the vulnerable edge outward, instead of partly protecting it within the barrel’s circumference.

Though in fact I recently received some chips that way and one of them did arrive damaged. I’m not certain whether the chipping occurred in transit, or if I harmed them myself opening the package (which was very tightly wrapped). But either way I believe the spread technique almost surely contributed to the problem.
I would hope if somebody received chips from me like this and one was damaged, they’d say something to me. Because I’ve been shipping smaller quantities like this forever - it’s been reccomended here time and time again.

View attachment 1289714
View attachment 1289715
That’s what I do.

Except recently I found out two leaded barrels in a padded bubble envelope costs MORE than a SFRB due to weight!

If I am sending barrel(s) like below (that can’t fit in a warneke box) I Saran Wrap them, then wrap in bubble wrap, then place them in a small flat rate box, then put in a bubble wrap envelop. The box is key so the chips don’t get dinged or bent while going through shipping.
IMG_7013.jpeg

If I were using the staggered/bag technique (and I think I did once), I would at least tape a flat piece of thick cardboard on either side, extending past all edges.

Vacuum sealers are also terrific for any small job, as a first layer of protection. As others have said, the less movement the better.

If I am sending barrel(s) like below (that can’t fit in a warneke box) I Saran Wrap them, then wrap in bubble wrap, then place them in a small flat rate box, then put in a bubble wrap envelop. The box is key so the chips don’t get dinged or bent while going through shipping.
View attachment 1289736
That’s what I doing as well for barrels shipment

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom