Best Options for Remote Desktop Client? (1 Viewer)

justsomedude

Straight Flush
Reaction score
I need a remote desktop client for travel/remote work. I used to use the personal version of TeamViewer, but a recent update has really messed up my operation...
  • I upgraded TeamViewer on my PC/desktop/Windows machine after being prompted to do so.
  • When trying to access my PC from my Mac, I got a notification that an update was required to use the newer TeamViewer software on the PC.
  • The Mac TeamViewer update failed, saying an OS updated was required before the update could be installed.
  • Sigh.
I do not want to update my Mac OS (older macbook - OS updates are risky), so now I am looking for new remote access options since TeamViewer has completely boned me.

I've tried Chrome Remote Desktop, but it is slow/clunky.

Any other options I should try?

I used the Microsoft Remote Desktop software that is built into Windows 10. No issues when accessing from another PC, but I never tried it from a mac. You should already have it on your PC so it would be easy enough to try. I was able to work all day from home with no issues, as if I was actually in my office. That said, it probably has fewer features than Team Viewer.

Edited to add: In case it matters, I used a VPN. If MRD works, it should be a decent stopgap until you find something that better meets your needs.

Last edited:
Just be cautious. Since they are old, there could be security issues with them that the newer versions correct. If you can connect to the machine using a VPN, that would reduce that risk substantially.

Use Dynamic DNS to give your home PC an IP available to the internet. You'll also get to choose a name for it. You can set this up on your home router, and also forward port 3389 to your PC's IP address. Then you can access that PC from anywhere you have internet. Been doing it for years. It's especially useful when I'm at work and I get curious about something too *ahem* questionable to look up from my work network.

Will cost a few dollars for the DDNS service, but not much. Make sure your home router is compatible before you sign up. The router will have a section called DDNS or Dynamic DNS, with a dropdown box listing the services you can use.

Use Dynamic DNS to give your home PC an IP available to the internet. You'll also get to choose a name for it. You can set this up on your home router, and also forward port 3389 to your PC's IP address. Then you can access that PC from anywhere you have internet. Been doing it for years. It's especially useful when I'm at work and I get curious about something too *ahem* questionable to look up from my work network.

Will cost a few dollars for the DDNS service, but not much. Make sure your home router is compatible before you sign up. The router will have a section called DDNS or Dynamic DNS, with a dropdown box listing the services you can use.

NoIP.com has ddns for free...just have to confirm that you are using it once a month.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom