Best free software for managing home games/tourneys? (2 Viewers)

For those using Tournament Director...

Do you have (or know where I can find) the table image for seating players rather than just the list with the seat number and the player's name? I'd like to show my players position around the table instead of in a list. I thought it was something that came with the software but maybe I'm mistaken. Any help would be appreciated.

I would suggest posting your question on the TD Forum help page. Cory Cooper, the software developer, is very responsive to questions as well as other users. Lots of good info on this site to help you customize your software.

Another vote for blinds up, I paid the 10 dollars and its def worth it. Voice prompts and it runs smooth on an extra ipad I had laying around. We use an HDMI adapter and put it up on the 70 inch screen and everyone can see and hear it throughout the tourney. Try the free version and it may even be all that you need.

I just wrote a custom app for my game! That’s full on nerding out tho - and my day job.

Someday I’ll add more features and adjustments and release it to the public. Right now it just uses my set tournament needs with just some adjustments for players and starting stack.
What did you write it in out of interest?

I'm about to write a similar thing but with a home league feature hopefully python and flask will do.
Is there a way to use a better forumla for leagueace? there point systems for the leagues are rubbish I want to use Points = 10 * [sqrt(n)/sqrt(k)] * [1+log(b+0.25)], much better

Blind Valet is great, I've been using it for years in our local tournament club. I have the paid plan with poker league scoring and all, but also the free version is pretty good.

Another vote for blinds up. The only complaint I've heard is that some pals want to change the voice for another woman!

On Mac i use Dr Neau. You can manage any aspect of the game, and there used to be a free version if you stayed under a certain number of players. My version is ancient , so I don’t know if they still have a free version you can use. @Dr. Neau is on the forum too.
http://drneau.com/

Dr Neau is a Java app, hence compatible on Win, Linux and Mac.
I use it on Ubuntu and it's a great program.

1533737346817.jpeg

+

1533737486330.png

= Infinitely customizable blinds, tracking and display.

A quick explainer on how I do it:

Tracking
Every league game gets tracked on a "worksheet" which, requires the player names, early bird bonus yes/no and the number of entries. The payouts and points are pulled from tables in another sheet. Side payouts are entered manually. Maybe at some point, I'll update the sheet to do that automatically. Each tournament type (re-buy, freezeout, deep stack etc.) has its own worksheet.

screenshot-docs.google.com 2018.08.08 08-16-35.jpeg

Worksheet
screenshot-docs.google.com 2018.08.08 08-28-55.jpeg
Points (we use a modified version of Dr. Neau's)
screenshot-docs.google.com 2018.08.08 08-28-17.jpeg
Payouts

Display
As for a display, I have sheets built that scrape the data in real time from the worksheet. So as I enter data during the tournament (re-entry and eliminations) it will be displayed on an iPad beside the blind timer, or whatever screen I want since it's all hosted on Google Sheets.

screenshot-docs.google.com 2018.08.08 08-15-48.jpeg

screenshot-docs.google.com 2018.08.08 08-21-01.jpeg
Various tournament displays

Standings
Every game is then added to a standings sheet - unfortunately not automatic, but I don't mind giving the results a manual review during this step anyways. I'll catch the odd mistake and correct it.

screenshot-docs.google.com 2018.08.08 08-23-25.jpeg

Standings sheet

Again, I have yet another sheet that scrapes this data and presents it in a much more readable format.

screenshot-docs.google.com 2018.08.08 08-23-58.jpeg

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

View attachment 191662

+

View attachment 191665

= Infinitely customizable blinds, tracking and display.

A quick explainer on how I do it:

Tracking
Every league game gets tracked on a "worksheet" which, requires the player names, early bird bonus yes/no and the number of entries. The payouts and points are pulled from tables in another sheet. Side payouts are entered manually. Maybe at some point, I'll update the sheet to do that automatically. Each tournament type (re-buy, freezeout, deep stack etc.) has its own worksheet.

View attachment 191672
Worksheet
View attachment 191667
Payouts

Display
As for a display, I have sheets built that scrape the data in real time from the worksheet. So as I enter data during the tournament (re-entry and eliminations) it will be displayed on an iPad beside the blind timer, or whatever screen I want since it's all hosted on Google Sheets.

View attachment 191673
View attachment 191671
Various tournament displays

Standings
Every game is then added to a standings sheet - unfortunately not automatic, but I don't mind giving the results a manual review during this step anyways. I'll catch the odd mistake and correct it.

View attachment 191670
Standings sheet

Again, I have yet another sheet that scrapes this data and presents it in a much more readable format.

View attachment 191669
If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

I'll take the excel sheet pleaseeeeee

[QUOTE

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.[/QUOTE]

Would also like a link I was just about to start my own version of this, this looks way better

Here is the link to the spreadsheets. Enjoy. I tried to go through and make them as bulletproof as possible. I'm offering these up free for anyone to use.

I will, however, add that these took years of trial and error to get fine-tuned, plus hours here and there to set up and troubleshoot, so if you enjoy these and you feel like sending over a tip, here is my PayPal.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U1droKX6hdH64mdNo95b5x7XXm_1Vxiq?usp=sharing

Here is the link to the spreadsheets. Enjoy. I tried to go through and make them as bulletproof as possible. I'm offering these up free for anyone to use.

I will, however, add that these took years of trial and error to get fine-tuned, plus hours here and there to set up and troubleshoot, so if you enjoy these and you feel like sending over a tip, here is my PayPal.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1U1droKX6hdH64mdNo95b5x7XXm_1Vxiq?usp=sharing
I’ll check it out sometime this week. Thanks!!!!

Dr. Neau tournament manager seems like it is abandonware now?

Last release that is offered for download on the website is from April 2012, his forum is flooded with spam, and after like a full page of spam threads I find *two* legit threads from people which went like "hey, I sent payment for a license a week ago, nothing here yet, what's up?" and zero replies on them.

Extremely bad market situation apparently.

Mobile-only apps are not even worth a consideration for me, they are too inflexible, and the other crap is hosted in the cloud. Subscription-only is already bad enough, but combined with not having control over the installation (their servers could go down/be taken offline any day, even before your subscription period ends) AND also giving your (and your buddies') data away to third parties, those are also out of consideration. The thing from Dr Neau had the big appeal that it was Java-based, hence cross-platform, and running on your local machine(s).

Leaves only three other desktop applications I found with a quick Google search... all Windows-only, all looking fairly dated, one even so extremely ancient that the website shows screenshots that appear to be made with Windows 98.

Smells like a market niche is open here. I'm a software developer and probably already have most of the skills/knowledge on the technical side to be able to build something good, but I'm not sure if sacrificing a big chunk of my free time over a considerable amount of time to work on a solid, modern and fair solution would really pay off. Not sure if maybe most tournament hosts just don't give a shit about the drawbacks and are happy with the relatively up-to-date third-party hosted solutions.

Dr. Neau tournament manager seems like it is abandonware now?

Last release that is offered for download on the website is from April 2012, his forum is flooded with spam, and after like a full page of spam threads I find *two* legit threads from people which went like "hey, I sent payment for a license a week ago, nothing here yet, what's up?" and zero replies on them.

Extremely bad market situation apparently.

Mobile-only apps are not even worth a consideration for me, they are too inflexible, and the other crap is hosted in the cloud. Subscription-only is already bad enough, but combined with not having control over the installation (their servers could go down/be taken offline any day, even before your subscription period ends) AND also giving your (and your buddies') data away to third parties, those are also out of consideration. The thing from Dr Neau had the big appeal that it was Java-based, hence cross-platform, and running on your local machine(s).

Leaves only three other desktop applications I found with a quick Google search... all Windows-only, all looking fairly dated, one even so extremely ancient that the website shows screenshots that appear to be made with Windows 98.

Smells like a market niche is open here. I'm a software developer and probably already have most of the skills/knowledge on the technical side to be able to build something good, but I'm not sure if sacrificing a big chunk of my free time over a considerable amount of time to work on a solid, modern and fair solution would really pay off. Not sure if maybe most tournament hosts just don't give a shit about the drawbacks and are happy with the relatively up-to-date third-party hosted solutions.

Check out the Tournament Director 3.

The best option I've found so far.

Td3 is the best I've found, seconded by Blind Valet.

But like you mentioned, windows only and cloud based for those two.

I love the Blind Valet feature that allows club members to pull up the tourney clock on their phone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom