Best airline/flight rewards card please (1 Viewer)

honkydevil

Straight
Reaction score
In effort to maximize value I wanted to ask what the best airline rewards cards you can get are, if you guys have some experience.

My goal is if I use it for work expenses I can earn free flights to Vegas/etc.

To be honest I haven’t done any research but I think I can easily assume someone on here has already figured this out and I’m a noob.

I can tell you it is not the American Airlines reward card. It used to be good, but now you have to basically buy a small house with your credit card to get a flight. (unless you like red eyes)

I loved the South West airlines card when I lived in Nashville (they hub there), but it is much less valuable if there is no hub near you.

I have found I save more with a straight % cash back card and use it to buy a flight.

I love my Southwest card. They normally run a 50k-60k sign up bonus if you spend a certain amount in the first three months. I can get you a referral link if you are interested. Disclaimer, I'd get 10k miles for the referral.

There’s no one size fits all answer. If you are really a point and miles noob, you are probably better off just finding the best cash back card you can.

Depends on where you fly from, what airline you typically fly, how often you fly, etc...

If you're not into the points/miles game, I'd be more inclined to simply recommend a cash back card. There are cards out there that offer 2% back.

Airline cards can be lucrative, but you generally have to fly a good amount and know the ins and outs of the points game.

www.thepointsguy.com is a great place to start if you're interested in investing some time and energy into learning the industry.

Chase Sapphire Preferred.

This would be my general recommendation as well if you are only looking for a single card for travel rewards. Chase points are probably the most flexible (and therefore valuable) out there, and there are usually good sign up bonuses.

If you want to do some research check out a few travel/points blogs. The Frequent Miler and The Points Guy are two that come to mind, but there are quite a few good ones out there.

Chase Sapphire Preferred.

I'd recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead. It's $450/year, but you get $300 of that back as travel credit, and other bennies. IMO, best card out there.

Several have suggested the Southwest Visa card. If you live near a Southwest Airlines airport, keep an eye on their promotions. Who's our PCF expert here -- have to look it up -- who contributed to The Points Guy's site? Anywho, someone recommended this year's SW promotion: get a Chase Southwest Visa, spend some bucks for the first two months, and get a companion pass for the rest of that calendar year. I did that in February, and now have the companion pass for my wife for the rest of 2019.

Guess how we're getting to All In at the Alamo in August, with a few days in New Orleans on the way? And to the ARGEM poker meet at Maryland Live! later this month? And to Colorado and Seattle in October? And maybe even Hawaii in November? Gonna milk that sucker for all we're worth, since we'd never charge the $110K in a year needed to get companion status otherwise.

I'd recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve instead. It's $450/year, but you get $300 of that back as travel credit, and other bennies. IMO, best card out there.

Several have suggested the Southwest Visa card. If you live near a Southwest Airlines airport, keep an eye on their promotions. Who's our PCF expert here -- have to look it up -- who contributed to The Points Guy's site? Anywho, someone recommended this year's SW promotion: get a Chase Southwest Visa, spend some bucks for the first two months, and get a companion pass for the rest of that calendar year. I did that in February, and now have the companion pass for my wife for the rest of 2019.

Guess how we're getting to All In at the Alamo in August, with a few days in New Orleans on the way? And to the ARGEM poker meet at Maryland Live! later this month? And to Colorado and Seattle in October? And maybe even Hawaii in November? Gonna milk that sucker for all we're worth, since we'd never charge the $110K in a year needed to get companion status otherwise.

I have this card as well, and am very happy with it. If you ARE intent on getting a rewards card, Chase is the way I'd go. Whether you want to pay $95 a year for the Sapphire Preferred (free first year, I believe) or $450 for the Sapphire Reserve ($300 in travel credits per year available) is up to you.

There's a deep dive to be made here if you're new to the points/miles concept, but it's a special kind of rabbit hole that can consume you if you're not careful lol

I will try to do some research tonight. Thanks a ton guys. I currently use a 2% cash card, maybe I just need to up my limit or get another one. I buy materials for work on it and I need a little more purchasing power this month is why I’m looking into this.

More info: I usually just fly to Vegas on the cheapest flight Priceline will give me. I lucked out and my girlfriend’s family is from Vegas. I also do strictly gaming trip once or twice there too. Could also use this for future PCF meetup weekends too. Would help me justify the expense of missing work and paying for hotel/flight.

I’m in Minnesota, not sure if that’s beneficial for the Southwest card.

The Sapphire card works for any airline?

The Sapphire card works for any airline?

No, Chase has travel partners that you can transfer Chase points to. United and Southwest are the main US airlines that are compatible.

If you fly out of MSP, you're more likely to find success getting a Delta card, or an American Express card that earns you Membership Rewards points, which can be transferred to Delta.

That would be me. I shot OP a PM with a slew of questions that need answers prior to recommending anything.

For example, we need to know things like credit scores (under a certain # sets OP up for a denial) , application history (more than 5 applications in the last 2 years is going to take 100% of the recommend cards off the table), spending (can OP meet a minimum spend within the time frame?).

I have this card as well, and am very happy with it. If you ARE intent on getting a rewards card, Chase is the way I'd go. Whether you want to pay $95 a year for the Sapphire Preferred (free first year, I believe) or $450 for the Sapphire Reserve ($300 in travel credits per year available) is up to you.

There's a deep dive to be made here if you're new to the points/miles concept, but it's a special kind of rabbit hole that can consume you if you're not careful lol

Preferred is no longer free in the first year. They increased the bonus to 60k to offset this. Reserve remains unchanged.
No, Chase has travel partners that you can transfer Chase points to. United and Southwest are the main US airlines that are compatible.

If you fly out of MSP, you're more likely to find success getting a Delta card, or an American Express card that earns you Membership Rewards points, which can be transferred to Delta.

The current Delta card offers are the highest they have ever been which sets up nicely given that AMEX is once in a lifetime per sign up bonus. They also have 5 or 6 cards which means you could earn about 400k in delta miles if you only wanted to focus on them right now. Probably not the best solution, but for those that need their miles specifically now is the time.

Southwest Rapid Rewards with companion pass if you spend a lot is one of the best values in the industry
Wife and I alternate getting the Companion Pass every two years. Hers is good until 12/31/2020. Then I will get it again for 2021 and 2022.

I am a miles and rewards enthusiast. Here are a few excellent sources of information on this hobby.

Million Mile Secrets
The Points Guy
One Mile at a Time

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred, an AMEX Everday, AMEX Business Plus and a Chase Ink Business Preferred. My wife has a Chase Southwest Priority and a Chase Premier Business. She has the companion pass on her Southwest account.

Do your research to get the cards that work best for your your usage.

How does one get out of paying the ~$100/yr+ fee for each of the cards y'all have?

How does one get out of paying the ~$100/yr+ fee for each of the cards y'all have?

They often waive it for military, if that's applicable... sometimes you can simply call and complain or threaten to cancel the card and they'll offer to waive the annual fee.

But usually there's a perk or two built into the card that's meant to offset the fee. For example, if you have a hotel card that's $95/year, there's a decent chance the card comes with a "One Free Night" benefit that can be used once a year, so basically the card is free as long as you use that benefit.

Take the AMEX Platinum card for example. $550 in annual fees seems outrageous. However, you get $200 back in travel credit. I buy $200 worth of Southwest giftcards. $200 in Uber credit each year that I use with Uber Eats. $100 in Saks Fifth Credit. Last year I bought a Ralph Lauren Sweatshirt that was on sale, used some discount codes, and got it shipped to my door for $1.63. Beyond that it paid for my son's Global Entry/TSA precheck last year that is another $100.

Basically I got $600 worth of direct value for $550 and this doesn't even factor in lounge access (saves 3 meals each time), rental car perks (2 hour late grace period), 5x points on hotels/flights (basically an 8.5% rebate).

With my Marriott Bonvoy cards or my Hyatt Cards, I pay the annual fee of $85-$125 and get a "free" hotel night in exchange. Last year I used my Hyatt nights for both my wife and I to book a hotel that wanted $385 per night base + resort fees + taxes. So I spent $170 on fees and got about $900 worth of value.

I never pay cash for anything. Travel and meals go on the Sapphire Preferred card getting double points. Groceries go on the AMEX Everyday card for double points. Business expenses go on mostly on the Chase Business Ink. Its surprising how quickly things can build up. I also chase signup bonuses.

You can also do this via obtaining the SWA Personal Card and the SWA Biz card, it will get you nearly enough points for the companion pass alone.

Op if you haven't jumped on anything yet you are in luck.

Southwest just launched a new business card today. This card requires you to be under 5/24 to apply, but doesn't count towards 5/24 status. This is the largest sign up bonus they have ever offered and knocks off about 75% of companion pass status which is unreal good. If you are signing up and don't have a referal link shoot me a PM and I can send one. Details are below:
  • Earn 80,000 points after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
  • 9,000 bonus points after your Cardmember anniversary.
  • 3 points per $1 spent on Southwest Airlines purchases.
  • 2 points per $1 spent on social media and search engine advertising, Internet, cable and phone services and 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.
  • 4 Upgraded Boardings per year when available
  • Inflight WiFi Credits
  • Global Entry or TSA Pre✓ Fee Credit
  • Employee cards at no additional cost, earn points on employee spending.
  • $199 Annual Fee

SouthWest has a pretty good card despite the annual fee. I got 50,000 points just to sign up a few years back. A domestic round trip might be 15000-30000 points at their cheapest rates. I used it for my recent Vegas trip as well as to get 2 of 5 flights free to Orlando for the looming Disney trip with the fam.

I don't know what it's interest is given I always pay it off. It does have an annual fee though but it's more than paid for itself in that regard.

I also recommend the Chase Sapphire Reserve. I switched from the Preferred a few months ago and love it as I pair it with my Chase Freedom Unlimited card to maximize points on the majority of my purchases.

Me and the gf took advantage of the Marriott Bonvoy (used to be spg) sign-up bonus at the end of last year and got a fully paid vacation for 5 nights at the Ritz in Aruba.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom