Cash Game BB Ante vs. Dealer Ante in Cash Games (1 Viewer)

CrazyEddie

Full House
Reaction score
Note: cash games, not tourneys.

In a mixed-game dealers-choice, it used to be common to use all-players-ante for games without blinds. Then people started switching to having the dealer ante for the table, which I think is a definite improvement.

Meanwhile, in tournament land, tourneys a) added antes to games with blinds like NLHE and then b) switched to having the BB pay the ante for the table instead of having all players ante.

So. My question is - for a cash game, where for [reasons] I want to have antes in addition to blinds and I want to have a single player pay for the table... What are the merits of having the dealer pay the table ante vs. the Big Blind pay the table ante? For example: Dealer antes $2, Small Blind posts $1, Big Blind posts $2 vs. Small Blind posts $1, Big Blind posts $2 and also antes $2 ?

The main reason I'm considering using dealer ante plus blinds for games like NLHE is because of the symmetry with dealer ante for non-blind mixed games like Stud, making it slightly easier for the players to keep it straight when we switch games. I'm open to arguments otherwise.

Note: cash games, not tourneys.

In a mixed-game dealers-choice, it used to be common to use all-players-ante for games without blinds. Then people started switching to having the dealer ante for the table, which I think is a definite improvement.

Meanwhile, in tournament land, tourneys a) added antes to games with blinds like NLHE and then b) switched to having the BB pay the ante for the table instead of having all players ante.

So. My question is - for a cash game, where for [reasons] I want to have antes in addition to blinds and I want to have a single player pay for the table... What are the merits of having the dealer pay the table ante vs. the Big Blind pay the table ante? For example: Dealer antes $2, Small Blind posts $1, Big Blind posts $2 vs. Small Blind posts $1, Big Blind posts $2 and also antes $2 ?

The main reason I'm considering using dealer ante plus blinds for games like NLHE is because of the symmetry with dealer ante for non-blind mixed games like Stud, making it slightly easier for the players to keep it straight when we switch games. I'm open to arguments otherwise.
Because there is always a BB in blind games. There isn't always a button because of dead buttons from players busting out sitting out.

Because there is always a BB in blind games. There isn't always a button because of dead buttons from players busting out sitting out.
Cash games should not have dead buttons. Absent players should not be forced to pay a blind while away from the table. They pay when they get back to have a hand or wait for the button. Moving button works better. More fair.

Moving button: The button always moves forward to the next player and the blinds adjust accordingly. There may be more than one big blind.

Last edited:
Cash games should not have dead buttons. Absent players should not be forced to pay a blind while away from the table. They pay when they get back to have a hand or wait for the button. Moving button works better. More fair.

Moving button: The button always moves forward to the next player and the blinds adjust accordingly. There may be more than one big blind.
I don't like a method that involves players skipping blinds because the person about to be the button sits out.

Nor was I saying that a player away from the table should be paying blinds. They do indeed make it up when they come back unless they choose to wait until their blind comes back around.

The one downside of BBA, even in cash, is that if a player misses their BB, and thus the next player becomes BB and pays the ante, what does the missed player do when he comes back in? He should have to pay the BBA, but there is no way to do that without playing an extra hand to even it out. Otherwise, one person is getting away without paying the ante for a round. The only real solution is to make them wait until their next BB to play. But no one wants to have to do that really.

Last edited:
I guess you could just have multiple antes posted, just like having extra blinds posted by returning players. Those should in theory be some fun pots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom