Barrington poker table thread (19 Viewers)

I know that at one time or another I’ve posted this before but if you are looking for an inexpensive substitute for Volara foam try a product available at swimming pool supply stores named Happy Bottom. I have used it on all my tables and it has held up through seven years of use now. Costs about $12 a table to do.

Is foam all they sell at Happy Bottom?

As a person who took off the foam, saw it went all the way to the table edge, did one side that now has a tilt and cards that get stuck under the rail and THEN read a comment about cutting the foam to the edge of the rail..... trust me.... cut the foam to fit the edge of the rail, don’t cut it to fit the full table. The rail will NOT compress volara foam enough to work right.

As a person who took off the foam, saw it went all the way to the table edge, did one side that now has a tilt and cards that get stuck under the rail and THEN read a comment about cutting the foam to the edge of the rail..... trust me.... cut the foam to fit the edge of the rail, don’t cut it to fit the full table. The rail will NOT compress volara foam enough to work right.
Don't feel bad I did the exact same thing. Must be something in the drinking water here in Western New York ..............................

The resurrection of this thread reminded me that I have some work to do also!

6E670A76-53DA-42E9-B8BE-9D543D89D44E.jpeg

GREAT time to replace the foam. When I did my initial refelt I changed out the foam too, from the like 1/16” crap to 1/4” neoprene from a pretty great eBay seller. When I say the difference was night and day, I’m not kidding. You won’t regret changing it if you do @Regularjohn
where did you get a roll wide enough/long enough? that eBay seller doesnt seem to have anything from what i can see...

where did you get a roll wide enough/long enough? that eBay seller doesnt seem to have anything from what i can see...
This was the exact listing I purchased. Keep in mind you're only "refoaming" the playing area, which is 73.5"x31.5"--but that measurement is two halves of the table. So each half is 36.75"x31.5".

You cut the 72"x42" neoprene in half and you have two pieces that measure 36"x42". The 36" edge of the neoprene goes along the 31.5" edge of the half-table and the 42" easily covers the 36.75" length.

(And to think I almost failed geometry in high school...)

Also I will always defend neoprene over most gaming cushioning because it's totally waterproof. Especially with my stunted cupholders, with the combo of SSC and neoprene my crew can spill all they want... I actually *prefer* if they spill on the table not the carpeting lol. And it's just fine for shuffling/peeking at cards/splashing chips the lot. I'm a neoprene fan for life now

EDIT: wc

I got both volera and neoprene was going to double up as I thought the volera was too stiff but was concerned the neoprene would be too soft.

When unboxing I noticed a small indent at the corner at the fold. When I refelt and likely add new foam, do you think it’s worth trying to throw some wood patch on it to rebuild the sharp edge? Or will it even be noticeable?

I noticed a Walmart return label on the box from February of this year. I assume whoever originally bought it opened it to see this small nick and closed it right back up for return, because all the other packing materials were like they were from the factory. I would bet that the person I bought it from got it on one of those return pallet auctions.

Other then that I saw no other damage at all despite the box being pretty beat up.

Attachments

• 2D012DF9-357D-4620-89CB-EF0C6BB1BC6F.jpeg
    2D012DF9-357D-4620-89CB-EF0C6BB1BC6F.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 153
When unboxing I noticed a small indent at the corner at the fold. When I refelt and likely add new foam, do you think it’s worth trying to throw some wood patch on it to rebuild the sharp edge? Or will it even be noticeable?

I noticed a Walmart return label on the box from February of this year. I assume whoever originally bought it opened it to see this small nick and closed it right back up for return, because all the other packing materials were like they were from the factory. I would bet that the person I bought it from got it on one of those return pallet auctions.

Other then that I saw no other damage at all despite the box being pretty beat up.
I'd say if you're not in a hurry, try to rebuild it. you may see a slight dent when the table is unfolded and in play. It would bother me but may not bother you knowing that it's there LOL. But looks like an easy putty and sand flush situation

The most annoying part of this whole thing was removing the crappy table foam. Otherwise a relatively smooth resurfacing.
View attachment 501416View attachment 501417
Nice! I'm thinking of using that same red shade for my recover project but I've been a little nervous trying to guess how the color would look from the little thumbnail pics. Where'd you source your material?

Nice! I'm thinking of using that same red shade for my recover project but I've been a little nervous trying to guess how the color would look from the little thumbnail pics. Where'd you source your material?
Got it from Amazon. Since this is my spare table, I didn't want to spend too much money. When I bought the cloth it was $18 for 3 yards. Seems to have gone up a bit.

I haven’t read through this whole thread, so forgive me if these have been answered, but how do you pry off the armrests? Should you just go in with your hands, or use some sort of tool? Also, what’s the best place to buy SSC and foam? Also also, when taking off foam, is it possible to do with your hands, or do you need another specific tool? Sorry for the dumb questions.

how do you pry off the armrests?
The glue they use is stronger than the Hulk and will take pieces/layers of compressed wood with it. I got a tiny crack in the first rail using my hands alone, the rest of them I lined up a paint scraper between the cupholder/wood (right where the glue is), got a hammer, and literally chiseled it Through. Saved the railpieces and some of the wood for sure.
what’s the best place to buy SSC and foam?
I got my SSC on Amazon (does the trick in spades) but a lot of people swear by YourAutoTrim

For the foam, see post 306 I swear by neoprene and got a perfect sized piece from a great eBay vendor

when taking off foam, is it possible to do with your hands,
Yes incredibly easy no effort required to remove the crappy Barrington foam

I haven’t read through this whole thread, so forgive me if these have been answered, but how do you pry off the armrests? Should you just go in with your hands, or use some sort of tool? Also, what’s the best place to buy SSC and foam? Also also, when taking off foam, is it possible to do with your hands, or do you need another specific tool? Sorry for the dumb questions.
Each armrest is held on with two screws - only prying needed is if glue from the cup holders is really really stuck, and then I would say use a hair dryer to loosen up the glue so the cup holders pull out easily.

I got my SSC on Amazon (does the trick in spades) but a lot of people swear by YourAutoTrim
I got the SSC from Amazon - one time the pizza showed up and I wasn't quite ready for it. We put the pizza box down on the poker table for two minutes. When we picked it up, the steam from the pizza somehow stained the Amazon SSC. That stuff from Amazon is cheaper for a reason. No Teflon coating :tdown: Yourautotrim is really your best friend here.

Am I supposed to take out the cupholders and then the armrests, or is it an all-at-once kind of thing?

No Teflon coating :tdown:
I believe you and am not trying to trade war stories esp. since my table hasn't battled pizza yet, but plenty of beer and cola has been spilled with zero issue whatsoever. My SSC is certainly super water-resistant if not outright waterproof -- the Yuanhe 108x60 is what I got

Am I supposed to take out the cupholders and then the armrests, or is it an all-at-once kind of thing?
I took them all out at once since I chiseled them out, but if you heat the glue first you can probably remove it. Your call on this one

The cup holders are glued down to the base of the table - use a hair dryer and take your sweet time. Once the cup holder heats up you can pull it out of the table. Then work on the arm rest

EDIT - If you take your sweet time with that hair dryer most of the glue from the cup holder will stay with the cup holder when you pull it out. That makes cleaning it up and getting rid of it REALLY EASY

The cup holders are glued down to the base of the table - use a hair dryer and take your sweet time. Once the cup holder heats up you can pull it out of the table. Then work on the arm rest

EDIT - If you take your sweet time with that hair dryer most of the glue from the cup holder will stay with the cup holder when you pull it out. That makes cleaning it up and getting rid of it REALLY EASY
I’m still not 100% clear on how the armrest itself is held onto the table, is it glue as well? If it’s screwed on, how do you take the screws out? Do you just yank it with the screws?

I’m still not 100% clear on how the armrest itself is held onto the table, is it glue as well? If it’s screwed on, how do you take the screws out? Do you just yank it with the screws?
There are two philips head screws that go from underneath the table, through the table base, and into the wood for the arm rest. Unscrew them and the arm rest comes right off. Save the screws, you will screw the arm rests back on when all is said and done.

There are two philips head screws that go from underneath the table, through the table base, and into the wood for the arm rest. Unscrew them and the arm rest comes right off. Save the screws, you will screw the arm rests back on when all is said and done.
Yea, my armrest did not come right off.

Idk if my table was just f'd in the a, but there was a legitimate glob of wood glue attaching each cupholder to the table. Obviously, if the cupholders are stuck, the rail won't come off by itself.

If you're patient @GianThaMan , heat the suckers up using a hairdryer or heatgun. If you're efficient, chisel those f**kers off, especially if you're upgrading cupholders. A) Will give you a rough guide of where the holes should be and B) the glue will be gone once you cut through anyway. Easy peasy

Yea, my armrest did not come right off.

Idk if my table was just f'd in the a, but there was a legitimate glob of wood glue attaching each cupholder to the table. Obviously, if the cupholders are stuck, the rail won't come off by itself.

If you're patient @GianThaMan , heat the suckers up using a hairdryer or heatgun. If you're efficient, chisel those f**kers off, especially if you're upgrading cupholders. A) Will give you a rough guide of where the holes should be and B) the glue will be gone once you cut through anyway. Easy peasy
That's because you chiseled off the cup holders! Heat them up and the glue comes with them.

That's because you chiseled off the cup holders! Heat them up and the glue comes with them.
Lol I'm not exaggerating, there was a half-to-a-full inch of hardened wood glue fastening my cupholders. My buddy who helped me redo the table is a union stagehand who essentially does similar stuff for a living, and his exact words were "holy sh!t I've never seen anything like this." After the fact we tried using a hairdryer to get the glue off the cupholders to reuse, but legit 10 minutes barely put a dent.

The wood glue mine came with was nothing short of ossified. Only thing that actually took care of it eventually was soaking 'em in Naphta for a while :banghead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom