Bad ultrasonic cleaning experience - need help (2 Viewers)

just to confirm, by running themachine youmean the transducers? not the heat only
Correct; fill the machine up with your TSP/water solution, set your heater temperature to 40°, set the machines timer to the highest value, and then turn the whole thing on. It'll make the horrible screeching noise for like 30+ minutes, then you're ready to go.

Side note, I actually don't even need to turn the heat on since the act of running the ultrasonic machine will heat the water up. Of course, using the heater will expedite the water getting up the temperature, but it's actually not even necessary. The only time that I have to do it is in the winter when the ambient temperature is so low that the transducers can't get the water up to 40° on their own.

I like that but isnt the purpose of having a US not to scrub the donkey out of the chips? :p
If you have concentrated human gunk attached the ultrasonic loosens but does not lift off this gunk without more time....if you leave your chips in the ultrasonic over 4 mins you will see deterioration of your chips. It takes a lot less effort....I shake....then brush the chip gunk off/loosen it and wipe the edge firmly while holding the inside clay edges while wiping the outside, then shaking the last out followed by a rinse with a strong sink sprayer. This results is near perfectly clean chips and minimal to no wear on the same. If the chips are really dirty you will only be affecting the surface gunk unless it is removed/disturbed the deeper dirt will never move.

up to you to experiment with what works best......This is by far the simplest way I have ever found to clean chips. I am cleaning some more this morning I will show the results of the 500's and any more that I finish.

Before and after. This is with the Vevor 6, the correct proportions of water and Red Devil, 42 degrees celsius, 1 minute, quick rinse in water after no scrubbing.

If you're not getting these types of results then there's an issue with either your materials or your process.
PXL_20210426_142130887.jpg

PXL_20210426_144842088.jpg

If you have concentrated human gunk attached the ultrasonic loosens but does not lift off this gunk without more time....if you leave your chips in the ultrasonic over 4 mins you will see deterioration of your chips. It takes a lot less effort....I shake....then brush the chip gunk off/loosen it and wipe the edge firmly while holding the inside clay edges while wiping the outside, then shaking the last out followed by a rinse with a strong sink sprayer. This results is near perfectly clean chips and minimal to no wear on the same. If the chips are really dirty you will only be affecting the surface gunk unless it is removed/disturbed the deeper dirt will never move.

up to you to experiment with what works best......This is by far the simplest way I have ever found to clean chips. I am cleaning some more this morning I will show the results of the 500's and any more that I finish.
got it thanks! I may try this technic as well :)

ok so tonight I'm giving it a second try. Ill show my results. Thanks for all the help!

Ultrasonics are not foolproof. If you've got huge thick layers of HJ gunk on them, you will find yourself needing to scrape them off by hand - at least the cleaner and detergent will help loosen it a bit.

Rarely have I ever needed a cleaning cycle longer than 2 minutes. But I have accidentally left a chip or two that spilled out of the cage for about 20-30 minutes and multiple cleaning cycles without any damage, and it was a hot stamp, too!

Always be prepared to oil your chips after ultrasonic cleaning in order to brighten up the colours and make them look their best!

Rarely have I ever needed a cleaning cycle longer than 2 minutes. But I have accidentally left a chip or two that spilled out of the cage for about 20-30 minutes and multiple cleaning cycles without any damage, and it was a hot stamp, too!
Agreed; 2+ minutes seems insane based on my experiences. I do remember some poor soul who lose a single Santa Ysabel $1 in his U/S for over an hour. When it came out, it was healthy and intact ... but instead of being blue it was wint-o-green.

thx! yes I use distilled water.

right from the start ot was obvious to me that there was not enough water so I added 4 cups for a total of 12 cups of water. From my picture you guys still think there was not enough liquid?
OK so you have a 6L unit... so 12 cups would be the equivalent of 3L... are you saying you had the US 1/2 full?

If the chips are sufficiently submerged in the water that's the most important thing.

One other thing... It's imperative that the chips not be allowed to stick together while submerged in the water. Surfaces that are not exposed will not get cleaned. I might suggest trying again but this time stirring manually to ensure all chips are fully exposed as the machine is running.

OK so you have a 6L unit... so 12 cups would be the equivalent of 3L... are you saying you had the US 1/2 full?
I think that half full is actually correct here as long as you're using a salad spinner to agitate a stack of chips at a time. The additional volume displacement added pushes the water about 80% toward the top.

The only thing that matters with respect to water is how deeply submereged the chips are. They should be about 3+ inches deep into the water if you're spinning them in and out, however you accomplish that. They're only getting cleaned while submerged and agitated.

The only thing that matters with respect to water is how deeply submereged the chips are. They should be about 3+ inches deep into the water if you're spinning them in and out, however you accomplish that. They're only getting cleaned while submerged and agitated.
Yeah, but the agitation is crucial since the cavitation effect can't work if the chips are stuck together. A lot of people don't realize that and just dump a whole bunch of them in with them resting on top of each other.

But seeing as other has to be some sort of agitation device, that means that the volume of water is going to go up toward the top as you put stuff into it.

Last edited:
Ok so I tried again last night and it went OK.

1) I used 16 cups of water which was a more than last time (vs 12 cups)
2) I de-gas the water for 30min
3) The biggest change I did is the tsp. Before starting I posted in the US main thread the tsp I purchased because it was a concern. I waited a few hours for feedback but was to excited to use the US for the first time and I started the process. My tsp is liquid. That is a big variable in my opinion. So yesterday I took the time to answer to my doubts. I compared the proportions proposed by the manufacturers for heavy duty cleaning (just to compare). For solid tsp, it says to use 0.5 cups for 2 gallons of water. For my liquid tsp, it says use 2 cups of water in 4 liters. If my calculations are good (including all unit conversions) that means I am supposed to use about 9x more liquid tsp as compared to solid tsp for the same job. So basically I did not have close to the right amount of tsp the first time.

I did other denoms. Did a 50sec bath for the 500s and 2mins for the 1s. They came out pretty good but very little scrubbing was required for about 50% of the chips. Not ideal but OK.

I tried again the 5s (new batch), for 2min as it was better but not that much. Im thinking maybe the majestic star 5s are just very hard to clean. Thoughts?

see my results attached

Attachments

• IMG_20211216_075654.jpg
    IMG_20211216_075654.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20211216_075641.jpg
    IMG_20211216_075641.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_20211216_075634.jpg
    IMG_20211216_075634.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20211216_075628.jpg
    IMG_20211216_075628.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 138
FYI did a third batch last night with more tsp - the quantity I now think its the most adequate and it went perfectly. No scrubbing needed at all.

My recommendation is therefore the following: if you don t use exactly the same product/tsp, make sure you look at the recommendation and do the math. It should be similar to what is recommended for heavy duty cleaning.

Thx again everyone for the help and support!

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_223410.jpg
    IMG_20211217_223410.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 116
FYI did a third batch last night with more tsp - the quantity I now think its the most adequate and it went perfectly. No scrubbing needed at all.

My recommendation is therefore the following: if you don t use exactly the same product/tsp, make sure you look at the recommendation and do the math. It should be similar to what is recommended for heavy duty cleaning.

Thx again everyone for the help and support!
I suggest adding your liquid TSP proportions to the main ultrasonic thread. That way the next person can leverage your findings.

I suggest adding your liquid TSP proportions to the main ultrasonic thread. That way the next person can leverage your findings.
sounds like a good idea but it will be kind of lost in the 43 pages no? I will anyways that way someone looking for that will have better pot odds

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom