ATTENTION, Jeep-freaks! (2 Viewers)

Production should have restarted in May. If you buy new, order one because you'll get a better deal than one on the lot and you can order exactly what you want. Don't waste money on options you don't need. Depending on the dealership, you can get at least 5% below invoice (not MSRP). Some people even fly to Idaho to get a great deal, then enjoy the ride home. I can help you with pricing if you want. There are spreadsheets that show you what you should be paying under invoice based on the options you want.

They hold their value really well so buying a 2-3 year old Jeep doesn't save you a ton. I'd rather just buy new.

Production should have restarted in May. If you buy new, order one because you'll get a better deal than one on the lot and you can order exactly what you want. Don't waste money on options you don't need. Depending on the dealership, you can get at least 5% below invoice (not MSRP). Some people even fly to Idaho to get a great deal, then enjoy the ride home. I can help you with pricing if you want. There are spreadsheets that show you what you should be paying under invoice based on the options you want.

They hold their value really well so buying a 2-3 year old Jeep doesn't save you a ton. I'd rather just buy new.

I hadn't really even considered new. I just went to the Jeep website to see what that would cost me...OMG, there are 13 different models of Jeep Wrangler?
WTF? I obviously have a LOT of research to do, if I wanted to consider new. Wow!

Any reason not to go with the most basic, "Sport"?

Any reason not to go with the most basic, "Sport"?

I have a Sport S. The very basic Jeep comes with a manual transmission and manual windows. The only reason I got the Sport S is that it has electric windows and auto for less than adding it to the Sport (and I wanted the hard top).

Wranglers are pretty simple vehicles and there is a huge amount of aftermarket support. For example, a tow hitch added at the factory would have cost me over $500 so I ordered without and bought the OEM hitch and harness for $230 on Amazon and fit it myself in about 5 minutes after watching a YouTube video. BUT I could have gotten an aftermarket one for <$80.

Important question: Will this be your every day driver?

You think chipes are an expensive hobby? Just wait until you get yourself into a Jeep and begin to modify it. There are tons of mods. It will be like you went from plastic chips to TR Kings Small Crown x 10.

I've sold chipes to fund Jeep mods. Dibs on your TR Kings or maybe we can do a trade!

Being small and light weight, the Suzuki Jimny can be a giant killer on narrow paths and soft surfaces (mud, snow) for a fraction of the cost and of emissions.;)
It's a nightmare for long-haul travel though (as any thoroughbred Jeepoid I guess). The Greek Jimny owners' internet forum is titled "Hardly Any Fuckin' 60mph":LOL: :laugh:

A Polaris RZR is a ton of fun on trails too, as long as you don't need to drive on roads (or it's allowed where you are) or have a trailer. We rented some in Sedona, AZ and had a blast with the kids on the trails out there. You see them all over in Colorado too. It's fun hanging out in Silverton where you can drive anything on the roads and it's a free-for-all of Jeeps, side-by-sides, ATVs, and motorcycles cruising around town.

I LOVE my Jeep. It is not anything like the ones above. HAHA. It is a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland. It is a CHAMP in the snow, V8 HEMI, panoramic sun roof, air suspension that I can raise it up 5" for better clearance or lower it while parked to make it easier for people like my older parents to get in, heated steering wheel, cooling and heated front and rear seats, and I could go on. It is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned. There are a lot of recalls, but I take it in when I get them and it costs me nothing. I have not spent a ton of money on it - just regular maintenance when it becomes due.

A Polaris RZR is a ton of fun on trails too, as long as you don't need to drive on roads (or it's allowed where you are) or have a trailer. We rented some in Sedona, AZ and had a blast with the kids on the trails out there. You see them all over in Colorado too. It's fun hanging out in Silverton where you can drive anything on the roads and it's a free-for-all of Jeeps, side-by-sides, ATVs, and motorcycles cruising around town.

We have a Polaris side-by-side (Ranger). It's "fun", but not FUN! The RZR would have been a better choice for "fun". But we were also looking for something that could haul fire wood, and plow the driveway...thus, "fun" didn't win out over "function". Booooooooooooo.

I can't afford what I want...a brand new Wrangler. It's not a car that would be my daily driver. I would just have it for fun on the weekends. Driving it on the curvy mountain road into town, or taking it off-road up by my cabin. I really should buy a 20-year old work-horse. It's not my first choice, but it's my budget. LOL.

What a strange thread to see on this forum. I sold you my Suicide King TR King set to pay for a new suspension. My Jeep is essentially why I don't have any chip sets left. Thousands of dollars sitting in the closet and my Jeep is broken in the garage? Sell it all!

My first Jeep was a 2012 JKU Sport.

JKU.jpg

I got hooked, sold most of my chips except the ones I would "NEVER SELL". So then I decided my JKU wasn't good enough. Traded it (long story) for an 06 TJ Unlimited (LJ). Sold all the stuff I would "Never Sell" and then some.

JohnBull052420.jpg

Especially with the Covid crap. There's no games, but I can still go wheeling. I've spent a few thousand more since I'm going more often now. Really the only limit is your bank account.

My best advice is to figure out what you want (even though that can change from week to week) and then try to buy one that's already built. If you buy a $50K Jeep and put $20K into mods, when you sell it in 3 years it's now worth less than the $50K you started with. You lose most of the money you put into it. Unlike chips that hold their value pretty well and sometimes appreciate in value.

Lots of people keep them for 2-5 years, then get sick of it and sell. Around 70% of the people I wheeled with in 2012 no longer own a Jeep.

Though if you're a perfectionist, you may want to buy one bone stock and build it the way you want. This is a great way to spend A LOT of money. One of my friends is on his 5th Jeep in 10 years because he keeps changing his mind, likes new projects, etc.

Hey Mel,
I wouldn’t call myself a Jeep guy or expert on them per say but I have rented several of them on my trips to Moab and other south western destinations.
I’ve always rented modified Rubicons because of their off road abilities. What I will tell you is that they are a complete BLAST to drive and if I lived full time in one of these areas, I would own one for sure.
This is the one I rented last year. The owner told me he had about $95000 in it and it was his personal vehicle when it wasn’t being rented to select clients.
A few pictures from Hell’s Revenge Trail in Moab.
E5EA1ABE-F288-404A-ADEE-64E51B495EC9.jpeg
53161782-AEE1-4376-BB05-6338F14DA439.jpeg
F93E4FE2-9431-493D-B6CC-7AACD591ABC0.jpeg
5F40B591-EE10-4D97-BFF9-C7610B0F81D1.jpeg
B0FDE249-9A7F-418D-8368-069ECBC9353E.jpeg

Maybe I'm not cut out for this Jeep-ing. And/or don't need anything quite as "capable" as THAT. Some of the photos in this thread make me pretty nervous, and I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable doing that! I mean, trails, some mountain trails....that's it. I don't need to climb boulders! (or will I want to climb boulders once I get out there?)

Love the LJ! Are those Savvy mid-arms or short arms? How do you like them? Those fenders look great too.

It's the Savvy mid arm. The guy that does all my work (don't think I'm allowed to call him a mechanic lol) did most of the design work for Savvy. He was building that kit from scratch before they released it as a retail item.

Maybe I'm not cut out for this Jeep-ing. And/or don't need anything quite as "capable" as THAT. Some of the photos in this thread make me pretty nervous, and I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable doing that! I mean, trails, some mountain trails....that's it. I don't need to climb boulders! (or will I want to climb boulders once I get out there?)
Don't worry about that Mel. No right or wrong way to Jeep. That's just the far end of it. I started off never wanting to do any of that either. I just bought a Jeep initially to hit the mountains, go camping, shooting etc.

(or will I want to climb boulders once I get out there?)
Oh and you are totally correct in your thinking here too

Once you start getting comfortable with the Jeep you won't be able to turn down a good rock or some mud (and I hate mud, but it's so tempting every time :LOL: :laugh:)

I think once you got comfortable driving your Jeep you’d be looking for new trails, bigger puddles to splash through and new adventures to go on.
The cool thing about Jeeps is that you can pretty much set them up to what ever your needs and desires are.

Oh and you are totally correct in your thinking here too

Once you start getting comfortable with the Jeep you won't be able to turn down a good rock or some mud (and I hate mud, but it's so tempting every time :LOL: :laugh:)

Yup, I hate mud too.

I started with the 2012 JKU with intention of doing some easy trails and dirt roads.

Things I said that first month:

1. I'll never lift the Jeep. I don't want a high center of gravity, it makes the Jeep less safe

$5K Later:
2. I'll never go larger than 33's
3. I'll never go larger than 35's

Now that I'm on 37's, I don't plan to go to 40's anytime soon... I learned to stop saying NEVER. :D

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom