At the movies: Blade Runner, Battle of the Sexes, Prof Marston (1 Viewer)

Leonard

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen three movies recently that, while very different, all struck me as better than the average superhero stuff. I will start off by saying that I am a terrible movie critic. I generally like movies and tend not to be over-critical or particularly analytic.

Blade Runner 2049:
Ever since I saw it, I've wanted to see the response from the PCF crowd. Even though I was a little disappointed with the ending, I thought the film was an amazing treat overall. The visuals were stunning (we saw it in 2D IMAX) and it may have done a better job of setting the dystopian mood than the original. The pacing seemed deliberately slow, almost as if they were trying to make it last two and a half hours. Seems like a sure Oscar winner for visuals if nothing else. I had relatively low expectations, despite the good reviews, but left the theater surprised by how much I liked it. If you have any affection for the first movie, it's a must-see. Do yourself a favor and see it on the big screen.

Battle of the Sexes:
I really just expected a piece of fluff and found at least a little bit more. Emma Stone did a credible job of showing Billie Jean King's exploration of her sexuality, and there was actually a little drama at the end even though the outcome was never in doubt. And I loved Steve Carell at the Gambler's Anonymous meeting.

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women:
The second lesbian movie in the list was very different than the first. It was also based upon actual facts, but unlike Battle of the Sexes, I had no awareness of those facts before the movie. Through the whole film, I kept asking myself if it could actually be historically accurate, and apparently it pretty-much is. It was fun and well made, but the oddness of the story (given the time period in which it was set) was my main impression.

Three very different movies that I happened to see in a short period of time. I'd like to hear other people's opinions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom