Anyone take rake or charge a sitting fee? (1 Viewer)

Pairzilla

High Hand
Reaction score
Does anyone who has a regular weekly game take rake or charge a sitting fee? I've been running a game for a while now and I always deal the entire game. (Can't stand pass the dealer) game usually starts around 7pm and goes until about 5am. I get a lot of compliments about how my game is ran and my setup. Most games in my town run with the walmart chip set and kitchen tables. Also passing the dealer to whoever is on the button. The idea of having a sitting fee or rake was actually suggested to me by some of my players. So it seems like the regulars are willing to pitch in to continue to better the game. Just wanted to know if anyone does either and which one is better? I was leaning more towards sitting fee. 10 a person for the night. I planned on just using the funds to continue to buy more chips upgrade chairs and get snacks and drinks.

I doubt you will get much love for the idea of adding a rake/fee to your game. A lot of folks might look at this in the same way they would for charging a fee to your kids friends for a sleep over or for asking payment from each of the guys who are joining you for a sporting event on your big screen TV.

I provide a full meal, soft drinks and snacks at my game. I am fortunate to win a little more than I lose plus the players often toss in a few odd chips or a few dollars to help defray costs. Some bring extra sweets, snacks or drinks. Even so, I expect to cover much of the cost myself. I am fortunate to have enough money to host several dozen times a year but I can appreciate that other hosts might not be so fortunate. If you find yourself in that sort of situation, then a one time door fee / cover charge to cover direct costs would be reasonable.

I don't consider the costs of my poker chips, table(s), cards, art, housing, electricity, etcetera to be part of hosting costs. (well maybe cards could in some cases.) Food, drink, snacks, paper goods and other consumables would be. So $5 per person for soft drinks + snacks seems ok. $10 if a meal is included. Maybe $20 per person if the food is lavish and/or booze is served. But, just to cover costs.

The point is - - - as the host, I am not trying to profit from the gang coming over to play. My games are not a business, they are a social event.

my $0.02 -=- DrStrange

Does anyone who has a regular weekly game take rake or charge a sitting fee? I've been running a game for a while now and I always deal the entire game. (Can't stand pass the dealer) game usually starts around 7pm and goes until about 5am. I get a lot of compliments about how my game is ran and my setup. Most games in my town run with the walmart chip set and kitchen tables. Also passing the dealer to whoever is on the button. The idea of having a sitting fee or rake was actually suggested to me by some of my players. So it seems like the regulars are willing to pitch in to continue to better the game. Just wanted to know if anyone does either and which one is better? I was leaning more towards sitting fee. 10 a person for the night. I planned on just using the funds to continue to buy more chips upgrade chairs and get snacks and drinks.

Mojo. Is that you?

That's what I was thinking as well. I am not trying to make money off hosting. A few players in my game where suggesting it.

If your crew already kicks in and tips you for dealing, I would just let them know that kicking in or tipping more is always appreciated but not necessary. I wouldn't establish a seating fee or anything. Impersonal and a slippery slope... You wouldn't want word to get out amongst the locals or neighbors that there's a great home game being dealt which has a seating fee attached.

I understand the reasons against charging anything (just from legal ramifications).

But I (nor any of my friends) have ever been offended or put off by someone charging. If you play enough you have to look for games that are not with your "friends". The expense accrued from hosting can add up. Plus if the host is upgrading "the den" then I see nothing wrong with it.

I have always felt differently on this subject, partly because the first home game I played in required a mandatory tip-out. I also hosted a weekly cash game and a bi-monthly MTT for over a year, so I can appreciate the money and time commitment involved. However, the danger in taking a form of payment for hosting as an active player is that your buy-in is being covered by the players who are supporting your game, which at some point may influence how you play by the risks you are willing to take in certain hands. Be aware that this poses a real threat to the integrity of your game which could ultimately result in the loss of players.

Like Dr. Strange, I did not take a rake or imposed a fee for hosting. I did provide a home cooked meal to players who attended my weekly cash game and snacks for my tournaments, with the understanding that I would do so as long as voluntary tip-outs covered the lions share of the costs.

Absorbing the costs of providing good poker chips, comfortable chairs, nice table(s) and playing cards is easy to do if you are a winning player or have the disposable income. You have already made some of those investments, so your post isn't the direct result of wanting to recoup those costs. Recreational players by and large just want a place to play, rarely do they consider or appreciate the amount of money a host invests, let alone the time he or she schedules out of their lives.

In the end, the decision of imposing a fee or taking a rake is yours to make. You know your situation and players better than we do. If your aim is to create a fund for better chips and chairs, then I would limit your total fee to an amount that is equivalent to half of whatever the typical buy-in is to your game. Such a structure should not greatly effect the integrity of your game.

Last edited:
I don't charge or rake for my home game. I do set out a donation box for the food and beer fund. Most of my guys throw in $10-$20 at the beginning of the night, and a big winner might throw me another $20, but it is not required or expected. In exchange they are provided two craft beers on tap, a variety of canned beer and soda, top shelf liquors, and the second best hot dog made in the USA, straight off the roller. I'll often have a UFC fight rented. I take pride in hosting, and any donations offset the costs. I do not expect them, but they are graciously accepted. So I'd suggest a tip box in your scenario, but make it clear there is no expectation from your players. In my group $10 is much better than BYOB or bringing snacks to share, they like to just be able to 'show up' and only remember to hit the ATM on the way over. It's become pretty standard in my circle, as when others host, the donation seems to carry over.

I do rake any pot over $10 for the bad beat jackpot. It's up to $656 right now and I drop the minimum qualifying hand every $100. I count the rake in front of the players during cash out and post the new total on my white board. I don't want anyone thinking I am profiting from the game any other way than from the table.

I don't "rake" but I do collect a small amount (~5%) for the end of the year bonus. The bonus is paid to the highest finishing player in the last event of the year that has attended more than 50% of the games. Since I am at every one of my games, I'm automatically eligible for the bonus. This year 18 other players are also eligible, so I need to finish extremely well to collect my "rake".

At the same time, 9 other players have paid into the bonus that are not eligible. So in a small way, some might construe that as a rake.

That said gambling (wagering money with any element of chance) is illegal in my state. Officially, I charge $20 for the dinner I provide. Poker is free and all prizes are paid out of my own pocket.

Dealing for an entire night, for free? Hahahhahahahhaa. NO chance I do that for free just because I dont want to pass the deal.

try an experiment: do the pass to deal for an entire night, see how bad people are at shuffling and pitching cards, see how many hands you average per hour - by the end of the night people will be asking you to deal again

try hiring an legitimate dealer: if your players understand that the dealer is being paid in all tips, they will tip accordingly - if they do not understand this, try a small rake. $1/per hand once a pot hits a certain $ amount (I use $20 dollars in pot in my game for a $1/1 NLH cash game)

dealing while playing isnt horrible in theory, but it does get tiring over the course of the night, and you're probably just doing it so the game will run more smoothly - but you shouldnt do it for free

I don't mind hosting, but not winning consistently enough (it's been like a two year loosing streak lol) to defray any of the costs involved is killing me. Specially since there are only 2 other people in our group that hosts. So the last few times I've collected $10 a head for food, soda, water, and a bottle of good bourbon. BYO beer. Seems to be working out ok, except for that one guy with the snide remarks that $10 is a little steep :confused:.

When I host I don't rake or charge, and I usually provide some kind of refreshments.

I have played in other games where a small rake is taken ($1 max per pot) to cover refreshments and have never minded in the least.

I have played in fully raked games, and as long as the amenities warranted the rake I have not minded.

I have played in games where the host buys beer for everyone, and takes a small donation when he orders food to offset the food cost.

In all of these situations, I have never seen a disgruntled player.

At my house, @Shaggy and I deal the entire night, he sits across from me. Every other hand is dealt by one of us..

I have also had other shuffle while I am dealing, but I dont like that as some people shuffle on the rail and the potential for a card to hit the ground is high..

My understanding in California is RAKE is illegal, unless you are registered as a Card Room business...All money that comes in must go out, I think tips are illegal as well.. If people give you a chip, and you keep it to the side till the end of the game that would be OK... I do have some who give me cash after they cash out, but its when the game is over..

Most (but not all) of my games now have a $1/ hand rake. I provide dinner, snacks, beer, and a nice selection of good booze. I also have a professional dealer that works for tips. My players like it, they don't have to worry about getting food or beer before coming over and they love not having to deal and the game runs better because the dealer is good at keeping the action moving.

If after costs I clear $80 for the night I would be surprised. Which still costs me money because my wife charges me $150 to have a game now. She says it's her price for having to take care of the kids by herself all night. Feeding, bathing, and getting 4 kids to bed by yourself is no easy task!!! Especially since they are ages 5, 3, and 7 month old twins.

My players have even offered to donate $10 each to pay for a babysitter on game nights but I passed explaing that is what the $1 per hand is for.

Every game and group is different though. What works well for me and my game may not work for others.

I would deal all night if I got to add all the tips directly to my stack :)

Most (but not all) of my games now have a $1/ hand rake. I provide dinner, snacks, beer, and a nice selection of good booze. I also have a professional dealer that works for tips. My players like it, they don't have to worry about getting food or beer before coming over and they love not having to deal and the game runs better because the dealer is good at keeping the action moving.

If after costs I clear $80 for the night I would be surprised. Which still costs me money because my wife charges me $150 to have a game now. She says it's her price for having to take care of the kids by herself all night. Feeding, bathing, and getting 4 kids to bed by yourself is no easy task!!! Especially since they are ages 5, 3, and 7 month old twins.

My players have even offered to donate $10 each to pay for a babysitter on game nights but I passed explaing that is what the $1 per hand is for.

Every game and group is different though. What works well for me and my game may not work for others.
Your wife is a saint! Hopefully she is also getting nights off :)

From my personal experience, I think charging per seat is definitely the way to go over taking a rake. Especially if its regulars, and not some randoms that change week in week out. If you charge per seat, its just one transaction you can get out of the way at the beginning of the night and something no one will have to worry about for the rest of the night.

Since rake is constant, it's something that will linger over the players heads for the entire night that might be a non-issue initially. But as soon as a couple of bad beats hit the table, the rake might cause an uneasy feeling over some players. Plus with a set fee, everyone knows what they're in for. With a rake, it gets muddled and with no one knowing for sure how much was made off of the rake for the night people can feel like they've lost more than they actually did.

Then again this might all just be because i've had a string of bad luck with home games in the past lol. You seem like an awesome host though, and if the regulars were the one to suggest it i'm sure either option will be a non issue.

I host a weekly cash game and we have a kitty that you can donate to if you wish i also dont pay out change and Canada's smallest bill is a five. So if you cash out 103$ the 3 dollars goes to the kitty

This is interesting for me - First reaction i had to the post was Id never go to a home game with rake. Period.
Second that's the difference between a legal and illegal game. (where im from anyway) so there's the second thing that would stop me.

Third thing if its a home game and your my friend You have significantly changed our relationship from a friend to a parasite. You're now feeding on me. Friends don't do that. - Period.

So for me that's 3 strikes, And the friendship is now under review...

Nah... I wouldn't suggest it. Friends are hard enough to come by...

Our tournament events are hosted by several different people/couples around town, on a voluntary rotating basis.

We rake each event for food/drinks/snacks (there is always a formal dinner break), dealer pay fund (all dealers are paid from the fund), and year-end prizes and/or freeroll championship tourney prize pool (depending on which league).

Regarding legality, poker here is pretty much illegal in any context, so adding a small at-cost charge for food and dealers is relatively immaterial. The rest of the 'rake' is returned to the players based on performance.

Regarding players complaining about paying dealers.....

Initially, I dealt all of our events for several seasons for free. Finally I announced that going forward, all dealers would be paid from a pool funded by a small rake per entry, and that dedicated non-playing dealers would be used when available.

Not surprisingly, a few players were pretty vocal about their dislike of the decision. I offered everyone the opportunity to become a paid dealer and two of them took me up on the offer for the next event. I did require that they take a brief 'dealer training' class, to cover the basic mechanics, procedures, and rules. They agreed, and we met early prior to the next event to cover the material.

One gal dealt the entire first 4-hour tournament that day (we hold two events with dinner break between). At dinner she announced that she was exhausted from the ordeal, would never do it again for any amount of money, and that the proposed rake and dealer pay was too little for the amount of work involved.

The other guy made it less than half-way through, and stated at the second break that he was done dealing for good, and somebody else could continue dealing in his place. "Fuck this crap" I think was a direct quote at the time. :LOL: :laugh:

We are now in our 15th season, and I've never heard any further complaints from anybody..... and both of those players are two of the most vocal proponents of the dedicated dealer pay system when it is explained to new players. (y) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
This is interesting for me - First reaction i had to the post was Id never go to a home game with rake. Period.
Second that's the difference between a legal and illegal game. (where im from anyway) so there's the second thing that would stop me.

Third thing if its a home game and your my friend You have significantly changed our relationship from a friend to a parasite. You're now feeding on me. Friends don't do that. - Period.

So for me that's 3 strikes, And the friendship is now under review...

Nah... I wouldn't suggest it. Friends are hard enough to come by...

You really think a guy who buys a $1k+ chip set an $800 table, hundreds of dollars in chairs, opens up his home, spends hundreds per week on refreshments, and donates countless hours to organize it and make it all happen, and asks for people in the game to contribute a small portion of that back through the game is a parasite?

Wow.

In my mind the parasites are the ones who come every week and refuse to contribute to the expense of hosting. I don't expect people to contribute for the chips/tables/chairs/cards/etc. But a contribution for the ongoing weekly expenses is not unreasonable.

No wonder friends are so hard to come by for you.

You really think a guy who buys a $1k+ chip set an $800 table, hundreds of dollars in chairs, opens up his home, spends hundreds per week on refreshments, and donates countless hours to organize it and make it all happen, and asks for people in the game to contribute a small portion of that back through the game is a parasite?

Wow.

In my mind the parasites are the ones who come every week and refuse to contribute to the expense of hosting. I don't expect people to contribute for the chips/tables/chairs/cards/etc. But a contribution for the ongoing weekly expenses is not unreasonable.

No wonder friends are so hard to come by for you.
Just to add something to this.

@MatB and I always have a laugh about this, basically every week. We do have dealers for our game, $1/per hand max rake. Tips appreciated but not required. The rake is to pay the dealer and beer money, nothing more, nothing less.

Matt and I laugh about the fact that if we didn't have a rake in our game, and it was tips only, some of the cheapskates would not tip a penny, there are people who tip on every winning hand, there are people who tip on winning hands that go post-flop, there are players who wont tip a dollar if they are up $2500, and there are players who wont tip if they are down. Relying on tips for our playerbase is not fruitful enough for the dealer to come and deal.

What we laugh about most is that players wont tip a single dollar, but will call a $120 preflop raise in a $1/1 NLH game with 94offsuit, interesting what they will spend their money on, when we know the value of the dealer is to add speed to the game so we can see more hands per hour.

I was recently at a game where we were self dealing.
It was ok. ( very happy to be playing cards :))
But at one point one of the players, maybe around 4 am? This guys muscles started to atrophy, and he started to deal like a T-Rex having a stroke.
Sure wish I could remember who that was (n) :thumbsdown:
@bergs ? Any idea?

I was recently at a game where we were self dealing.
It was ok. ( very happy to be playing cards :))
But at one point one of the players, maybe around 4 am? This guys muscles started to atrophy, and he started to deal like a T-Rex having a stroke.
Sure wish I could remember who that was (n) :thumbsdown:
@bergs ? Any idea?

I'm just glad I left at 1. I'm one of the worst dealers in that game, so I'm glad this story isn't about me.

Just to add something to this.

@MatB and I always have a laugh about this, basically every week. We do have dealers for our game, $1/per hand max rake. Tips appreciated but not required. The rake is to pay the dealer and beer money, nothing more, nothing less.

Matt and I laugh about the fact that if we didn't have a rake in our game, and it was tips only, some of the cheapskates would not tip a penny, there are people who tip on every winning hand, there are people who tip on winning hands that go post-flop, there are players who wont tip a dollar if they are up $2500, and there are players who wont tip if they are down. Relying on tips for our playerbase is not fruitful enough for the dealer to come and deal.

What we laugh about most is that players wont tip a single dollar, but will call a $120 preflop raise in a $1/1 NLH game with 94offsuit, interesting what they will spend their money on, when we know the value of the dealer is to add speed to the game so we can see more hands per hour.

We've had this problem at the BBotB where players were not tipping dealers so we had to put in a $1/hand rake for dealer pay, and I've heard similar stories from DCS.

This is a room full of people who can afford plane tickets to play micro stakes, but a few of them can't manage to appreciate the fact that some person is giving up their night to make life better for us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom