Anyone Ever Get Burned Out on Hosting? (3 Viewers)

I started our league back in 2003 during the Moneymaker poker boom. We ran super strong up through 2016 getting 21-24 players easily for every tournament. Then I built a new house and the unfinished basement put a damper on the environment and the stress of building/moving slowed things down for me. I shut the league down for about a year until I finished the basement.

When I started back up we lost a few players and were only getting 18 for events, then Covid hit and we were shut down for another year or so. Once we came out of Covid people were starved for social interaction and we were back to the regular 24 player events. In the last year or so we've started growing again and got some new blood into the game and are getting 28 on the regular now.

I keep yearly stats and player rankings so it keeps everyone interested. We only do a $60 buy in for NLHE with no re-buys. It's become more of a social event than anything, most of us are in our 30's, 40's, or 50's and use it as a boys night out to get away, have a few drinks and laughs.

So we are on like our 20th season and are currently stronger than ever. Sometimes you just need a break or a bit of a reset.
Sounds like you got a healthy game going. What days/times do you normally play?

I'm at a point where my game is dying. Partly by my own hand and partly due to forces beyond my control.

Last year I decided to drop HoldEm. I don't enjoy playing it, so I modified my league tournament to be PLO/HoldEm. That single decision lead to a drop in attendance. No big deal, I thought. I still fill up the cash game no problem.

Then Texas politics forced out several of my players who moved to states more friendly to their families needs.

Now I struggle to get a solid 7. Recruiting is difficult for the stakes and game selection we play. Thankfully we are planning our own move in 3 years - so I'm hopeful I can limp along in that time, otherwise the meetup circuit might be my only home games for the near future.

Good luck, and always be recruiting.
There is a very nice house in my neighborhood that will be up for sale at some point. I know the owner. If you buy it, you will have no problem getting a game together as I am a two minute walk away. Problem solved.

Thanks for all the replies. To address a few comments:

Do you have anyone you trust to run the game in your place if you decide to step aside for a few weeks or few months?
This was my first thought. There are several people who probably would volunteer and a few others who I would actually feel comfortable with. The fact that this is held in my office is the biggest hurdle - discretion is paramount in terms of who we let into the game.

Losing control of who shows up and how the game is ran is my biggest concern, since respect for the space and neighboring businesses is extremely important. It's probably a situation where I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Last year I decided to drop HoldEm. I don't enjoy playing it, so I modified my league tournament to be PLO/HoldEm. That single decision lead to a drop in attendance. No big deal, I thought. I still fill up the cash game no problem.
I've grown to despise NLHE tournaments. They're just too formulaic. Even some long-time tournament players with impressive Hendon Mob profiles are skipping the league to play mixed cash games. That said, if I modified the format in any significant way, it would kill interest.

Here's a bit of a different take that might be worth considering:
Don't know if the "league" is currently monetized, but seems like it's not. This seems like a perfect opportunity to monetize it.
That would be illegal in the State of MI. The odds of getting caught are probably low, but the negative effects it could have on my business are a non-starter.

Sure, but you owe it to those who come to play!
Agreed. The league would never have came together if a handful of core players hadn't showed up consistently and helped recruit players when I didn't really know anyone. To pull the plug on it would be selfish. I'll absolutely see this season through to the end and figure out how to lighten my load next season.
Sounds like you need a "dedicated" league director.
If you're too successful or too rich or too busy, don't worry about us peons.
The peons are fine. It's the trolls I'm worried about.

I think that would just add to the strain, turning a chore into work. Once people start paying for a service they’ll expect to get their monies worth. Plus what it’d potentially do to the legality of the game.
Exactly. Once you start asking for contributions voluntary or otherwise, that more or less democratizes the entire thing which wouldn't be good.

I mean, I hate cleaning up after everything (is there anything worse than cleaning a hot dog roller after a night of poker??) , but the set up and stuff is simple. I've now got everything down as a science too.
I have to put everything away after each event, so setup takes an hour and cleanup the next morning takes at least that long. On top of running the events, announcements and chasing down commitments, it's easily 12 hours out of my week running these bi-weekly events.

I was starting to get tired of all the entitled tenured players complaining about the smallest things when I was busting my @$$ trying to keep things going plus adding things over time to keep things fresh. It was becoming a chore.
This is pretty much it - glad to hear I'm not the only one.

In the past, I've ran green chip bounty tournaments in between league seasons that would draw 35-40 total entries, usually in the summer. They're enjoyable and draw nice turnouts, but I didn't have time to organize any this past summer because I was too busy. I can't tell you how many people expressed their disappointment. Even this past weekend, I invited some poker people to come by the office to watch the UFC PPV.

"Why don't you run a green chip bounty at the same time?" Someone replied. Christ.

Sick set up. Love it!!!
'preciate that man!

Take a break @Moxie Mike. I think the best thing for a game is habit and routine, but an extended break so everyone’s wallets can get fat and they miss it is also good. However I wouldn’t do it during the fall or winter. Those are the best poker months.
We always break during the summer. I usually look forward to running the league as it approaches but it more or less feels as though it's ran it's course. I'll probably start looking for people to run the individual events for Season 11 while I still run things organizationally in order to maintain control.

"Why don't you run a green chip bounty at the same time?" Someone replied. Christ.
Wee.gif

I wish I was in that spot.

But to be helpful

A couple options

1. I would start with taking a break for the holiday season. Just post some excuse to the group “getting tables worked on” blah blah blah.

2. See if you can find a tournament Director. If I was part of a club with a decent tournament, I would definitely do it as my way of giving back.

I ask for feedback from my players all the time. I'm always open to constructive criticism that would help my game run smoother and be more enjoyable. There's a line though. Don't let the unsolicited advice from the squirrels get to you!

I've been running the Moxie Poker League for over 5 years dating back to pre-pandemic days. We kicked off Season 10 of league play last month after the summer break. We play in my corporate office after hours, which is a great setting for private games. During the pandemic, I ran online games using P-Stars' free money tables.

Over the years I've made a lot of good friends and business contacts I wouldn't otherwise have met. But I initially started the league to recruit cash game players, and now that I can consistently fill 7 or 8 seats for mixed games, I'm feeling much less enthusiastic about running the league - to the point that I don't even participate in league events since I much prefer the cash table. I just run the tournaments while I'm playing cash.

Furthermore, the league has kind of taken on a life of it's own to the point where it now feels like an obligation. League events routinely attract 20-25 players and some of the longer tenured players are seeming to develop a sense of entitlement about it. Another thing that I'm finding myself feeling annoyed by is the fact that I'm often contacted by people that I don't know who want to participate or people trying to get their friends into the league when I've clearly articulated a 'First Rule of Fight Club' policy on numerous occasions.

It's also become a burden on my time - anyone who has ever ran a league knows what the requirements are. As my consulting biz has grown, running poker games is a less-than-ideal use of my time.

So the obvious answer is to stop doing it, but there are a lot of people who enjoy it and it's been a good opportunity to meet people and showcase my office. I really don't want to deprive people of what's kind of a unique playing experience. Also, many people who play in the league are women - and they routinely express their appreciation for being able to play the game they enjoy in a 100% safe environment.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? Did you quit or find someone else to run things? How did you handle it?

View attachment 1213622

View attachment 1213623
I don’t know what you do for a living, but I would like to apply for a job. All I see is a bar, a TV, dart board, pool table and poker tables. Looks like a great place to “work”! Sign me up!

The only times I ever contemplate giving up hosting are the occasional times when people cancel late/waffle about showing up.

That drives me bonkers. Simply exasperating.

I had a cash session recently where I told players I was closing the list at 10:30 am on gameday.

This lets me set up properly for the right number of seats. (I prefer 8 players + 1 dealer for cash.) Or call it off with decent notice if we aren’t going to get 7+.

So the night before I had 6 confirmed and one guy who said he was “90%.” Right on the edge. I text several guys who had not responded to try to get a couple more.

At 9:30 am, I get a cancellation. (“Forgot to ask my wife if we had any plans.”) Grr.

At 10 am I get two new reservations. Yay!

So now I have 7 confirmed and one 90%er. Perfect. At worst we’ll be 7-handed, which is a good action-y number. Probably 8, even better. I’m excited.

At 10:30 am I let the RSVPs know that we’re on.

By 11 am, a reg who is always first to reserve a seat cancels.

At noon, another says he’ll be a couple hours late.

I ask the “90%” guy how it’s looking. No reply.

So at 7 pm we have just 5 of us, instead of 8. Waiting on the late guy, plus Mr. 90%. We go ahead five-handed.

At 8:30 pm 90% guy says he can’t make it, he’s “waiting for a delivery” of construction materials. No one delivers that stuff here later than 4-5 pm, but whatever.

At 9 the late guy shows. Finally, at least we’re 6-handed. But he plays recklessly, loses three buy-ins in an hour, and is gone by 10.

Back to 5-handed.

But now Mr. 90% texts that “he is going to try to get over there.” Keep hope alive! Fine, I say, we’ll be here at least until 1:30 am.

He never shows.

So that’s the kind of thing that makes me want to say F this. But it usually isn’t such a struggle.

Last edited:
The only times I ever contemplate giving up hosting are the occasional times when people cancel late/waffle about showing up.

I had a cash session recently where I told players I was closing the list at 10:30 am on gameday.

This lets me set up properly for the right number of seats. (I prefer 8 players + 1 dealer for cash.) Or call it off with decent notice if we aren’t going to get 7+.

So the night before I had 6 confirmed and one guy who said he was “90%.” Right on the edge. I text several guys who had not responded to try to get a couple more.

At 9:30 am, I get a cancellation. (“Forgot to ask my wife if we had any plans.”) Grr.

So now I have 7 confirmed and one 90%er. Perfect. At worst we’ll be 7-handed, which is a good action-y number. Probably 8, even better. I’m excited.

So at 7 pm we have just 5 of us, instead of 8. Waiting on the late guy, plus Mr. 90%. We go ahead five-handed.

At 8:30 pm 90% guy says he can’t make it, he’s “waiting for a delivery” of construction materials. No one delivers that stuff here later than 4-5 pm, but whatever.

At 9 the late guy shows. Finally, at least we’re 6-handed. But he plays recklessly, loses three buy-ins in an hour, and is gone by 10.

Back to 5-handed.

But now Mr. 90% texts that “he is going to try to get over there.” Keep hope alive! Fine, I say, we’ll be here at least until 1:30 am.

He never shows.

So that’s the kind of thing that makes me want to say F this. But it usually isn’t such a struggle.
That is annoying af just reading it. I’d rather have someone always decline the invite or ask to be removed from my list than have them do that.

I don’t know what you do for a living, but I would like to apply for a job. All I see is a bar, a TV, dart board, pool table and poker tables. Looks like a great place to “work”! Sign me up!
Backup dibs
https://moxiemeninc.com

@Goldfish You can't see it in the pictures, but there are actually two TVs. There is also a sitting area with couches, a conference table and a shower in the bathroom. Because why not? I didn't build the space.

We use the space for meetings, events, training sessions and the occasional degenerate gambling excursions. It's located in an industrial park so the whole area is quiet after business hours and on weekends.

[Frustrations...]
Been there man. Recruiting players for mixed cash games can be ridiculously frustrating. I never take people seriously who give me a percentage. WTF am I supposed to do with that? You're either in, out or it's a maybe pending additional info.

https://moxiemeninc.com

@Goldfish You can't see it in the pictures, but there are actually two TVs. There is also a sitting area with couches, a conference table and a shower in the bathroom. Because why not? I didn't build the space.

We use the space for meetings, events, training sessions and the occasional degenerate gambling excursions. It's located in an industrial park so the whole area is quiet after business hours and on weekends.

Been there man. Recruiting players for mixed cash games can be ridiculously frustrating. I never take people seriously who give me a percentage. WTF am I supposed to do with that? You're either in, out or it's a maybe pending additional info.
If you ever need a general counsel, I am your guy.

I never take people seriously who give me a percentage. WTF am I supposed to do with that?

Yeah, anything less than 100% is probably more like 15%. If that.

In the past, I’ve tried to avoid overbooking, not wanting people to show up then have to wait to get a seat, which can take hours.

But I think I’m now going to aim for overbooking by two or three players, instead of dealing with the suspense of whether we have a full enough table.

In the past, I’ve tried to avoid overbooking, not wanting people to show up then have to wait to get a seat, which can take hours.

But I think I’m now going to aim for overbooking by two or three players, instead of dealing with the suspense of whether we have a full enough table.
I've told the group I stop actively recruiting once I have 6 firm commitments (6-7 is perfect for mixed games). After that, whoever shows up shows up.

Back to 5-handed.

He never shows.

THIS!

Now that it’s habit for our game in a specific day every week, I’m noticing more players make a game day decision as opposed to before where I could get commitments from a week out.

I’m adapting. And if you arrive late or don’t rsvp and the game is full I have plenty to do.

I always try to overbook my cash games bc I always get a cancellation or two. Worse case scenario I can sit out till someone is done.

well, hosting a poker night, coaching a sports team, or anything that requires people to commit to anything will always lead to someone cancelling, and someone showing up that either didn't reply or said no.

I couldn't handle that much disgust in my life, so I stopped coaching baseball.

Honestly, I get cancellations up until 6pm for a 7pm game. I let everyone know though, bail on me once without notice, you get a warning. Do it twice, you are off the list. It bothers me, especially when I am right on the cusp of a 3 table or 4 table event, and I use tournament director to seat everyone. I don't like reshuffling seats/tables. You also get the "Do you have any open spots, as I have a friend that wants to play". That person then shows up without said friend, as they were "already busy tonight". You'd figure you would have asked them if they were free and 100% in BEFORE asking me if I have an open seat.

I mean, I can go on and on about that ... again, same with baseball and players not showing up, or are "too hurt" to play. At the end of the day though, I still enjoy it.

Some things that are different for me though...
- I host a fairly large tournament monthly, so a 1-2 player swing doesn't really impact whether the game is on or not. I do have a 36 player cap though (4 tables of 9). My smallest game in 6 years was 14 players, was this year with 7 people backing out the day of. we still played on. (outside of the Covid Shutdown period of course)
- My tables are up full time in the basement, as we don't really use the space for anything else.
- My setup time includes cleaning a bathroom, vacuuming the floor (which takes 5 min), and emptying the recycle bin on the off-chance we watched TV or the kids were down there killing my soda.
- I can get 40 starting stacks done and tubed in less than an hour now. If a family member ever asked to help, I could do it in 1/2 the time. My chips are in a tool chest and easy to get set into stacks and tubed.
- I keep tournament director updated with the RSVP's starting the week before the event. I seat everyone (randomly) in TD and hour before the event, and then print their seats using the receipt printer (its in a thread somewhere).
- I load up my fridge with soda and water the night before, so my kids don't drink it before game time.

Then ... we play.

and sometime before the next event, I will take out the trash, empty the recycle bin, and clean the hot dog roller. Not going to lie, cleaning the roller is sometimes done the morning of the event, as I hate cleaning it that much. I always slice open my finger when cleaning it too. Got me twice this last time. Lucky for me, this last event was catered, so the roller is cleaned and ready for the November game.

well, hosting a poker night, coaching a sports team, or anything that requires people to commit to anything will always lead to someone cancelling, and someone showing up that either didn't reply or said no.

I couldn't handle that much disgust in my life, so I stopped coaching baseball.

Honestly, I get cancellations up until 6pm for a 7pm game. I let everyone know though, bail on me once without notice, you get a warning. Do it twice, you are off the list. It bothers me, especially when I am right on the cusp of a 3 table or 4 table event, and I use tournament director to seat everyone. I don't like reshuffling seats/tables. You also get the "Do you have any open spots, as I have a friend that wants to play". That person then shows up without said friend, as they were "already busy tonight". You'd figure you would have asked them if they were free and 100% in BEFORE asking me if I have an open seat.

I mean, I can go on and on about that ... again, same with baseball and players not showing up, or are "too hurt" to play. At the end of the day though, I still enjoy it.

Some things that are different for me though...
- I host a fairly large tournament monthly, so a 1-2 player swing doesn't really impact whether the game is on or not. I do have a 36 player cap though (4 tables of 9). My smallest game in 6 years was 14 players, was this year with 7 people backing out the day of. we still played on. (outside of the Covid Shutdown period of course)
- My tables are up full time in the basement, as we don't really use the space for anything else.
- My setup time includes cleaning a bathroom, vacuuming the floor (which takes 5 min), and emptying the recycle bin on the off-chance we watched TV or the kids were down there killing my soda.
- I can get 40 starting stacks done and tubed in less than an hour now. If a family member ever asked to help, I could do it in 1/2 the time. My chips are in a tool chest and easy to get set into stacks and tubed.
- I keep tournament director updated with the RSVP's starting the week before the event. I seat everyone (randomly) in TD and hour before the event, and then print their seats using the receipt printer (its in a thread somewhere).
- I load up my fridge with soda and water the night before, so my kids don't drink it before game time.

Then ... we play.

and sometime before the next event, I will take out the trash, empty the recycle bin, and clean the hot dog roller. Not going to lie, cleaning the roller is sometimes done the morning of the event, as I hate cleaning it that much. I always slice open my finger when cleaning it too. Got me twice this last time. Lucky for me, this last event was catered, so the roller is cleaned and ready for the November game.

I’m with ’ya. But even for a 7-8 handed game there can be a lot of other small tasks…

I always put out some snacks in addition to keeping the fridge stocked. Sometimes offer pizza/salad, so then there are plates and utensils and napkins. Pop my own popcorn, so that has to be done and put in a big bowl. Put out small bowls of nuts/candy. One bottle of bourbon/whiskey and some glasses. Fill the ice bucket. If guys are coming who I know will ask for coffee, make that in advance, have milk/sugar and mugs on hand.

Lift the topper off the table, lean it against the wall, move the table from the wall to the center of the room. Set up the stacking chairs. If any of the chair foot pads have come off, put them back on or replace them.

Get the dealer box out and stock it with the change he’ll need.

Vacuum the felt, make sure the rail is clean.

Pull the projector screen down and check that the projector/internet haven’t somehow crapped out.

Get the barn cool in summer (several hours of A/C before game time), build a fire in winter.

Check the decks for dings, replace any suboptimal cards, count them just on g.p.

Sweep the floor.

Count any high hand money from last game. Make sure I’ve got enough singles, fives, tens and twenties to make change at cashout.

There are more little prep details, but you get the idea…

Yep. I do as much as I can the night before, even if it's a weekend. Getting cash/change is always the first thing to do on my list. I probably do about 75% of my list the night before. I actually break out the chips a few days before in anticipation of the game and it gives me an excuse to check them over/admire them. LOL

The peons are fine. It's the trolls I'm worried about.
I wasn't trying to troll, but re-read your OP and ask yourself how one of your players would feel if they read that.

More like a commodity, less like a friend, IMO.

Also, I'm pretty sure @detroitdad's comment was genuine, not a troll.

Last edited:

Back to 5-handed.

He never shows.

This gives me PTSD. The true tragedy of us hosts everywhere right here

Yep, I have guys who are at best 25% regardless what they say, guys who are 100% before I even announce the date, and the rest are somewhere in between.

I always aim to overbook. I used to dread having 11 RSVP but now I find it's perfect...that means there will be 8 or 9 :LOL: :laugh:

It also helps to have a second table should everyone actually show and maybe a late addition or two.

ALRIGHT, so it's not just my mooks. How do you all instill a need to get there on time for cash games? New house with a new player pool, tough to build that culture. Guess I have to sit each one down and explain how tough it is to just hang and wait when the game never lasts long and we're already short handed.

Im not talking 7:00 sharp, but people saying yes to 7 and touching down at 8:45, baaa.

ALRIGHT, so it's not just my mooks. How do you all instill a need to get there on time for cash games? New house with a new player pool, tough to build that culture. Guess I have to sit each one down and explain how tough it is to just hang and wait when the game never lasts long and we're already short handed.

Im not talking 7:00 sharp, but people saying yes to 7 and touching down at 8:45, baaa.
Yeah, cash is great like that, you can come and go as you want. Tournaments suck in that regard, almost everyone shows up at starting time which always just a pain in the ass. Not knowing when your players are going to show up or how long they are going to stay is much better.

"Game starts when we have 5 (or 6)."

That way, not just you are upset with the late arrival. The whole game is waiting on him.
I might try this! Brand new city and game so I scratch and claw to find 4-6 people. Missing my old setup and house, regularly could get 10 + a waiting list, now I feel like McMurphy in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest teaching a handful how to bet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom