Anyone buy steaks online? (1 Viewer)

Copper44

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
With all the craziness going on I have been looking more into buying some steaks online. Lot more than just Omaha out there...

One caught my eye, "Lobels" out of New York, they send the meat fresh not frozen, has anyone here tried them?

Or any other reviews or recommendations of where to buy from?

I've looked a few places, but
  • Local butcher cuts to thickness that I prefer. For me that's 1.5"-2". I like being able to order based on my appetite at the time.
  • Local butcher is local. Nothing against NY, Omaha, or wherever, but keeping money local is good. Food from local, traceable resources also feels good.
  • Local butcher is much cheaper.
  • Local means no shipping fees.
  • Local means I'm eating it tonight.
I understand that meats are getting harder to find lately, but a good local butcher is capable of setting prices that dissuade the bizarre hoarding that has been occuring. While I'm not opposed to eating vegetarian, I do not keep more than 3 days worth of meat in the house, and have not come up short yet. If it wasn't for the empty shelves, I wouldn't even notice.

Note: Local butchers around me do not have Prime steak. But holy cow on shipping! Lobels with a 20% discount wanted $36 to overnight one steak.

Local (Not any local) butcher being knowledgeable and trustworthy = irreplaceable.
He only allows one client in the shop at a time, nowadays (utterly correct).
Big Plus: He now wears a Gimp's mask, to look more true to what he really is :D

CrowdCow - not impressed. The meat is sourced from family farms but the quality has been subpar.

Pat LaFrieda - quality stuff. Their dry aged burger patties are pretty good. Their steaks are quality too.

Flannery - very nice marbling and dry aged with lots of developed flavors, local to CA. They have an annual sale on (Wine) Berserker day on Jan. 27th. Highly recommend the ribeye or Jorge cut.

Snake River Farms - pretty good stuff but overpriced IMO. The burger patties aren’t bad and their gold level wagyu can be great.

CrowdCow - not impressed. The meat is sourced from family farms but the quality has been subpar.

Pat LaFrieda - quality stuff. Their dry aged burger patties are pretty good. Their steaks are quality too.

Flannery - very nice marbling and dry aged with lots of developed flavors, local to CA. They have an annual sale on (Wine) Berserker day on Jan. 27th. Highly recommend the ribeye or Jorge cut.

Snake River Farms - pretty good stuff but overpriced IMO. The burger patties aren’t bad and their gold level wagyu can be great.

Beserker day is a problem lol. Did you grab any of the caviar?

• Local butcher cuts to thickness that I prefer. For me that's 1.5"-2". I like being able to order based on my appetite at the time.
  • Local butcher is local. Nothing against NY, Omaha, or wherever, but keeping money local is good. Food from local, traceable resources also feels good.
  • Local butcher is much cheaper.
  • Local means no shipping fees.
  • Local means I'm eating it tonight.
Pretty much agree with every bit of this ^^^

Note: Local butchers around me do not have Prime steak.

Have to say, Prime beef is overrated.... not to mention way over priced... A properly prepared/cooked Choice steak will have your mouth watering!!!
No need for inflated pricing of "Angus" or anything else, either. Just simple USDA Choice. :tup:

EDIT: Suppose I should've started that last bit with "In my opinion..." Or "In my professional opinion.." as it is merely my personal opinion. Albeit an opinion based on my 28 years being a butcher, but an opinion nonetheless. ;)

Last edited:
Have to say, Prime beef is overrated.... not to mention way over priced... A properly prepared/cooked Choice steak will have your mouth watering!!!
No need for inflated pricing of "Angus" or anything else, either. Just simple USDA Choice. :tup:
IMHO, USDA prime graded meat is often overpriced, but not overrated. My go-to meat is USDA choice, and it's nearly as good, and occasionally as good as prime. However, occasionally Costco has excellent pricing on prime so I pick it up. (I have no idea why their prime pricing can swing $5-7 per lb. for ribeye, but it does).

I posted the details of a prime home dinner here --> https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/dinner-plans.4141/page-61#post-1014312

Back to the thread, I've heard very good things about Lobel's, but never tried them myself. Let us know what you find.

Prime7.jpg

IMHO, USDA prime graded meat is often overpriced, but not overrated. My go-to meat is USDA choice, and it's nearly as good, and occasionally as good as prime. However, occasionally Costco has excellent pricing on prime so I pick it up. (I have no idea why their prime pricing can swing $5-7 per lb. for ribeye, but it does).

I posted the details of a prime home dinner here --> https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/dinner-plans.4141/page-61#post-1014312

Back to the thread, I've heard very good things about Lobel's, but never tried them myself. Let us know what you find.

View attachment 428681
Looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!
...Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't turn it away!! And if you can get it for Choice price, HELL YEAH!!!

My step-dad figure person in my life one day got a thank you for a board he's a member on. He called me up and asked for Christmas if I wanted a chunk of what he got. Ended up with a like 60oz SRF tomahawk steak (don't remember the size, but it was massive.) and a Yeti cooler. God. That steak.

Last edited:
I buy real USDA choice, and age it myself for 7-21 days in the refrigerator, lowest shelf, rear. On a cake rack atop a plate, turning it over every day.

Cheap, easy-peasy, and the results are worth it. We never order steak out, except once or twice a year at Bern's in Tampa.

I buy half cows and quarter cows, grass fed, from the Amish around me. The cuts require different techniques than corn fed beef, but the price can't be beat and I get whatever cuts I want.

Crowd cow ground beef is very solid, and regularly stocked in my freezer. Their steaks though, agree with the above. Local we have a lot better luck. At least during regular times :)

Looks delicious!!!!!!!!!!
...Don't get me wrong, I certainly wouldn't turn it away!! And if you can get it for Choice price, HELL YEAH!!!
Thanks. Totally agree. I just looked at Lobel's pricing - $55 per lb. plus shipping for USDA prime (dry-aged, though). Just insane. My last Costco prime purchase was $16.99 /lb. and one month prior it was $11.99 /lb. - only $1.00 /lb. more than choice at that time. Prime is not worth 5x the price.

Agreed. If you’re in NYC though, Lobel’s is a very cool place to visit. A complete time warp into an old school butcher shop amidst high-end boutiques!

Thanks. Totally agree. I just looked at Lobel's pricing - $55 per lb. plus shipping for USDA prime (dry-aged, though). Just insane. My last Costco prime purchase was $16.99 /lb. and one month prior it was $11.99 /lb. - only $1.00 /lb. more than choice at that time. Prime is not worth 5x the price.
$55/lb????????? WTF!!???? Talk about price gouging? Holy Sh*¥ :eek:

+$1/lb, ok.. but even then, it would still depend on what the total/lb would be. (At least for me)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom