Any way to unwarp old KEMs? (2 Viewers)

Rome

Pair
Reaction score
I recently bought a set of Nexgen pros off Facebook, partially because the whole set was $50 and came with 2 decks of KEM arrow cards. One is sealed in the platic, and one was used. I couldnt tell from the photo online that the open deck is majorly warped, with a big curve through the whole deck. Is there any way to "unwarp" KEMs or is that deck simply bound for the trash?

I've owned a couple setups of KEMs.

Both warped horribly before I was able to even use them.

The only solution I could find was to never waste my money on KEMs again.

USPC has some serious audacity to charge as much as they do for cards that turn into the Wicked Witch of the East at the slightest change in temperature or humidity.

I bought a handful of different setups but have never owned KEMs, seemed a nice way to try them out. Apparently I'll only have one deck, and it wont last long either methinks.
Ancient KEMS (of the 70s or 80s) were proverbially durable.
Not any more.

That's a feature, not a bug. They're made incredibly fragile to punish those that don't pack them and keep them in perfect condition: not too humid, not too dry, not to hot, not too cold, not too tight or loose, upside down, with a dealer button on it, and say the rosary while you're at it.

I experimented with flatening KEMs. Put them on the clean surface. Put few heavy books on top of them. After a month or two you will see substencial difference. it takes time but it works.
FWIW I found a old setup of 1979 KEMs. One deck was still sealed but the other was open and very badly warped. You couldn't even shuffle them they were so bad. (sorry, I should have taken a before image). After about 2 months being squished in a vise there was substantial improvement. They're not perfect but definitely playable/shuffle normally. Time will tell if they revert back to the old warpage.

P1110049.jpg
P1110051.jpg

I have a collection of them from the 40's through the 80's, and, some are warped, bought them that way. I'm contemplating using a hard flat piece of metal on top and bottom of the cards, vacuum sealing them and seeing what happens.

FWIW I found a old setup of 1979 KEMs. One deck was still sealed but the other was open and very badly warped. You couldn't even shuffle them they were so bad. (sorry, I should have taken a before image). After about 2 months being squished in a vise there was substantial improvement. They're not perfect but definitely playable/shuffle normally. Time will tell if they revert back to the old warpage.

View attachment 1236307View attachment 1236308
Willl check my deck tommorow....its almost a year

I can’t believe anyone buys these…I think it’s a price phenomenon. They cost more, so they must be good!

They suck.

Buy other stuff that sucks less.
I can't either.

You all that continue to support a flawed product are straight up crazy! Clamping cards for months at a time. Come on now. Why? Just why?

I can't either.

You all that continue to support a flawed product are straight up crazy! Clamping cards for months at a time. Come on now. Why? Just why?
because they feel better than any other cards I’ve ever handled. That’s something. It’s not everything, and whether it’s worth trying to deal with their high maintenanceness - everybody has to decide that for themselves. But there’s no need to keep shitting on those of us who don’t want to give up on them.

because they feel better than any other cards I’ve ever handled. .........But there’s no need to keep shitting on those of us who don’t want to give up on them.
I agree that they do handle well if not warped.

Probably 1st time I have ever commented on KEMs. I'm certainly NOT shitting on you. Go ahead and spend 24/7 flattening cards for all I care. Knock yourself out. I've got better things to do.

You, more than just about anyone else on here, react this way whenever someone makes a comment you disagree with.

No need to get your undies in a bunch. You are way to soft

Last edited:

Probably 1st time I have ever commented on KEMs. I'm certainly NOT shitting on you. Go ahead and spend 24/7 flattening cards for all I care. Knock yourself out. I've got better things to do.

You, more than just about anyone else on here, reacts this way whenever someone makes a comment you disagree with.

You said
I answered why.

I can't either.

Because I paid $3 for this particular setup at a garage sale and now the warped deck is completely usable and handle well. I've also bought brand new Kems and none of them have warped so YMMV. When it comes to cards I like variety. (except for Copag)

I bought some older decks simply for the history. Should people not buy antique stuff like furniture, or, cars? I bought them for a reason, and, am going to try and flatten them. I don't buy "new" KEM because there are others that I prefer. Live and let live.

You, more than just about anyone else on here, react this way whenever someone makes a comment you disagree with.

Funny thing. I was just scrolling through some old messages and I came across one where you yelled at me for clicking a sad or angry face on one of your comments.
And here you are, snapping at me for liking KEMs.
You don’t have to like me. But your outbursts suggest that maybe you are the one who is soft.

Funny thing. I was just scrolling through some old messages and I came across one where you yelled at me for clicking a sad or angry face on one of your comments.
And here you are, snapping at me for liking KEMs.
You don’t have to like me. But your outbursts suggest that maybe you are the one who is soft.
Promise me, son, not to do the things I've done
Walk away from trouble if you can
Now it won't mean you're weak if you turn the other cheek
I hope you're old enough to understand
Son, you don't have to fight to be a man

(not directed to any of you two)

Promise me, son, not to do the things I've done
Walk away from trouble if you can
Now it won't mean you're weak if you turn the other cheek
I hope you're old enough to understand
Son, you don't have to fight to be a man

(not directed to any of you two)
Love that song! It’s kinda sad and gross, but it’s catchy.
And it always reminds me of the Johnny cash song “don’t take your gun to town.”

View attachment 1236307View attachment 1236308
OK, it's been about 2 weeks since I unwarped these KEM's and it appears they are reverting right back to their original warped state. My conclusion is once warped/always warped.
P1110063.jpg

Found some of my old KEM decks. Very warped. I found heating them with a heat gun on low, you can feel them become completely pliable. I heat a card for about 20-30 seconds on a flat surface, then carefully slide the card into the middle of a heavy book. The cards actually set after about 20-30 minutes.

Results are the cards are much better, even playable and can be shuffled normally. No shrink to a single card. I think I more refined my technique after the heating, they'd come out even better. Hope this helps.

*Note: my decks were from 02-04.

I can’t believe anyone buys these…I think it’s a price phenomenon. They cost more, so they must be good!

They suck.

Buy other stuff that sucks less.
Honestly I really like the bicycle prestige plastic cards. And for a fraction of the cost of other plastics cards I can't complain.

Some warp more than others. It honestly doesn’t have anything to do with when they were made. USPS uses the same equipment KEM did back in the day.

It has to do with the stock. The plastic comes in rolls. When the stock gets closer to the core, the cards made from it tends to warp more.

Use weight and time to flatten them. Keep them in a dry environment, not too hot not too cold. Try to discourage dealers from gripping them and holding too much.

I love mine.

I thought it was a possibility, but they were unplayable, so I had nothing to lose.

After heating a handful of cards for a few seconds, I noticed there is definitely a point where the warmed card loses all rigidity and "memory" and becomes completely soft and pliable. It's at that point that I'd slide them in the pages of a heavy book.

I did try heating until soft and then just leaving the card alone (uncovered) to cool down and while cooling the card didn't lay completely flat.

Did this to 3 KEM decks that warped so bad couldn't even mix them a single time. Now I shuffle and deal them. They aren't perfect, but now playable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom