Another sharpie post, will do any and all suggestions! (1 Viewer)

I think the main problem is that the Sharpie ink is not just sitting on the surface of the chip, but rather has soaked in a bit. You will most likely have to soak the chips in an appropriate solvent to get all of it back out ... the problem (as you well know) is that most solvents that will dissolve Sharpie ink will also dissolve (or at least damage) chip clay.

Well, that will be one of the last resort options to try. At the end of the day I will be happy if I can get 60 playable chips out of the 75. The sharpie right now really takes away from the chip.

Thanks,
Grant
Won't that melt the chip? I'll put that in line with the 0000 Steel Wool for the last resort list.
I would actually put 0000 steel wool before sand paper:D it is much less abrasive and I have used it on finished wood varnish with success.

I'm not sure why your're concerned about these methods. Is a melted chip any worse than those sharpied chips? (My answer is no)

I think the main problem is that the Sharpie ink is not just sitting on the surface of the chip, but rather has soaked in a bit. You will most likely have to soak the chips in an appropriate solvent to get all of it back out ... the problem (as you well know) is that most solvents that will dissolve Sharpie ink will also dissolve (or at least damage) chip clay.
This ^^^^ is a VERY GOOD point. Which leads me to my next suggestion. I woke up one morning amd found cranberry juice soaked into my white/tan granite countertop.:eek::mad: Scrubbed the shit out of it qith no luck. I then squirted a dab of dawn dish soap on it....came back a couple hours later (mostly because I was afraid that I was stuck with the bright red stain). The soap was dry, but low and behold...it pulled the juice out of my granite.:D

Won't that melt the chip? I'll put that in line with the 0000 Steel Wool for the last resort list.
Could. Worth it as long as he records it properly for future reference :)

This ^^^^ is a VERY GOOD point. Which leads me to my next suggestion. I woke up one morning amd found cranberry juice soaked into my white/tan granite countertop.:eek::mad: Scrubbed the shit out of it qith no luck. I then squirted a dab of dawn dish soap on it....came back a couple hours later (mostly because I was afraid that I was stuck with the bright red stain). The soap was dry, but low and behold...it pulled the juice out of my granite.:D

Hmm, ok. I'll try soaking in dawn.

As Gear said, the issue is the ink has been absorbed into the chip.
I'd try an electric toothbrush with pumice hand cleaner.
Screenshot_2017-11-07-20-14-48.png

I don't think these chips contain lead, so it's probably not an issue, but whatever you do, do not ever clean leaded chips with vinegar. (Acetic acid dissolves lead.)

I don't think these chips contain lead, so it's probably not an issue, but whatever you do, do not ever clean leaded chips with vinegar. (Acetic acid dissolves lead.)
Pretty sure they were produced in the 1990s, before the formula changed to lead-free.

So if these are leaded how concerned do I have to be if using steel wool or fine sand paper on the chip?

Don't inhale or ingest. Using a filter mask and vinyl gloves when generating minute particles would be prudent precautionary measures.

well i just did an experiment

drew a line on concrete with a sharpie anf tried acetone to remove it it sort of worked then i tried general thinners for car paint and it worked a treat. it worked really well.

try that.

how about using light?

The black in the sharpie ink is some kind of dye. Ultraviolet light is very efficient at breaking down dye molecules (that's why colors fade in sunlight). Therefore, my suggestion would be to hit it with an ultraviolet laser.

(be careful doing this)

I haven't stopped experimenting.

I was having success soaking chips longterm in nail polish remover. Do you see where this is going?

Thanks to @allforcharity for putting me into some purple roulettes with marker.

The first test seemed to go ok. The second not so much. The chips have bloated a bit and the hot stamp has completely disappeared. Like the complete indent!!

20180406_154650.jpg

The surface is completely smooth but the edges of the chip are now sandwiched a bit.

Grant

Not so perfect, though. I can clearly see where the sharpie pigment was applied, even if it's only a shadow of itself. The loss of the recess I wouldn't have missed, since I would have milled the chip anyway, but if the entire thickness/diameter of the chip has grown....

The difference here was that I sealed the container, so the nail polish remover likely stayed at fuller strength. With the unsealed container long term test the bloating didn't occur.

Grant

Not so perfect, though. I can clearly see where the sharpie pigment was applied, even if it's only a shadow of itself. The loss of the recess I wouldn't have missed, since I would have milled the chip anyway, but if the entire thickness/diameter of the chip has grown....

I didn't apply some of the other sharpie removing steps to this one as I wanted to test the nail polish remover alone. I will post pics of my more successful attempt.

That looks like an LCV chip? If so, that mold doesn't have an inlay recess to begin with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom