Another sharpie post, will do any and all suggestions! (1 Viewer)

grantc54

4 of a Kind
Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up these sharpied chips (75 total) and willing to try anything to clean them (short of obvious immediate destruction).

Post your suggestion and I will post the result.

Initial chip (who the F would do this!?!?!?):
20171107_091112-1.jpg

This one I tried rubbing alcohol:
20171107_145519-1.jpg

Toothpaste:
20171107_135504-1.jpg

And the result always seems to be the same (I tried nail polish remover and magic eraser at home with one and same result):
20171107_145254-1.jpg

20171107_145248-1.jpg

20171107_145303-1.jpg

One side came out better than the other, and the edge seems to get a bit cleaner.

Next up I read somewhere about a baking soda and hydrogen peroxide mix being used to pull sharpie out of a porous material.

Any and all suggestions will be tried!

Thanks,
Grant

I've had success removing ink (sharpie?) from a handful of Paulson chips before by soaking them in rubbing alcohol for several days. Note, these were chips that were already cleaned by regular methods with an ultrasonic and scrubbed with a toothbrush, but had ink stains left over.

I used a cereal bowl/glass container, put the chips in, and poured rubbing alcohol to cover them. Every day or so, I took the chips out, and scrubbed over the ink with a toothbrush, and put them back in. Every day the alcohol seemed to slowly dissolve more ink. You can tell if it's working if the alcohol gets darker or the toothbrush removes some ink when scrubbing.
IIRC, it may have taken a whole week, but the ink finally dissolved. The chips I cleaned were not as bad as the chips above, though. Those Pyramids above might take months.

Some inlays might be damaged or yellow from prolonged submersion, but I'm not sure the chips above would have that problem.

Good luck. If this doesn't work, might I recommend just coloring them all back in with a sharpie -- you'll have the only Charcoal color with 3-black spot Paulsons in existence. ;) Or use a paint marker, and put some nice pink spots on them.

I've had success removing ink (sharpie?) from a handful of Paulson chips before by soaking them in rubbing alcohol for several days. Note, these were chips that were already cleaned by regular methods with an ultrasonic and scrubbed with a toothbrush, but had ink stains left over.

I used a cereal bowl/glass container, put the chips in, and poured rubbing alcohol to cover them. Every day or so, I took the chips out, and scrubbed over the ink with a toothbrush, and put them back in. Every day the alcohol seemed to slowly dissolve more ink. You can tell if it's working if the alcohol gets darker or the toothbrush removes some ink when scrubbing.
IIRC, it may have taken a whole week, but the ink finally dissolved. The chips I cleaned were not as bad as the chips above, though. Those Pyramids above might take months.

Some inlays might be damaged or yellow from prolonged submersion, but I'm not sure the chips above would have that problem.

Good luck. If this doesn't work, might I recommend just coloring them all back in with a sharpie -- you'll have the only Charcoal color with 3-black spot Paulsons in existence. ;) Or use a paint marker, and put some nice pink spots on them.

Thank you for this suggestion! I had only tried submersion for 30 minutes to an hour and stopped when I stopped getting ink off when rubbing. I'll try a longer period of time now.

Grant

Thank you for this suggestion! I had only tried submersion for 30 minutes to an hour and stopped when I stopped getting ink off when rubbing. I'll try a longer period of time now.
You're welcome. Good luck, and I hope this works for you! (I remember seeing those chips for sale before with the sharpie spots on them.)

I’m curious to know how scraping a layer off would work. Barbaric, I know.

I’m curious to know how scraping a layer off would work. Barbaric, I know.

What is the best way to do this? Sand paper? What grit would be suggested?

The magic eraser is supposed to take off some of the chip but to be honest it has never removed cross hatch for me (I know it has for some). Maybe magic eraser and a chip that has been soaked in warm water?

What is the best way to do this? Sand paper? What grit would be suggested?

The magic eraser is supposed to take off some of the chip but to be honest it has never removed cross hatch for me (I know it has for some). Maybe magic eraser and a chip that has been soaked in warm water?
Someone posted a thread where the used super fine grit wet-type sandpaper to remove really bad rack check marks. Others thought this was barbaric and would damage the chip, but the poster didn't think it was any different than using magic eraser, which can be abrasive. I don't know the grit off-hand, but I once used some automotive super-fine-grit wet-type sandpaper on a ding on my car, and as I recall, it doesn't even feel like sandpaper.

That being said, I don't think any of those would work here, especially if it's sharpie ink -- if the ink acutally seeps into the cracks and crevices of the clay, even if you removed a layer with sandpaper, the ink stains may be more than surface deep. (But this is just my guess.)

I am not condoning this because I have no idea if it would work, but If you are going to try this, I would start with 0000 Steel Wool. And probably wet sand with the steel wool.

Well, that will be one of the last resort options to try. At the end of the day I will be happy if I can get 60 playable chips out of the 75. The sharpie right now really takes away from the chip.

Thanks,
Grant

Maybe try hand-sanitizer? It worked on getting sharpie off my counters so might be worth a shot.

I have never tried this so proceed at your own risk! (y) :thumbsup: Good luck man.

Maybe try hand-sanitizer? It worked on getting sharpie off my counters so might be worth a shot.

I have never tried this so proceed at your own risk! (y) :thumbsup: Good luck man.

Another one I forgot to mention! Yes, tried that already. No luck.

So far everything seems to get the initial layer off, I think the toothpaste helped a little more on the edges, but at this point I think I have hit the wall. It is possible that a super soak in rubbing alcohol will work (if it can pull out the ink in the chip) or, as mentioned, I am going to try the baking soda and peroxide (as it is supposed to pull it out).

Grant

And I would try coca cola , let the chip lay in it for 30min

Coca cola is acid based and eats rust. It works on many things.

Some more ideas
Screenshot_20171108-003051.png

This might not be a great idea on a somewhat porous material like chip clay, but you could try coloring over the dry Sharpie with more Sharpie and then wipe it off while it's still wet. That used to work on things like skis and snowboards ... the point is that the liquid part of the Sharpie ink will definitely dissolve the dry Sharpie ink.

This might not be a great idea on a somewhat porous material like chip clay, but you could try coloring over the dry Sharpie with more Sharpie and then wipe it off while it's still wet. That used to work on things like skis and snowboards ... the point is that the liquid part of the Sharpie ink will definitely dissolve the dry Sharpie ink.

I think that is how the dry erase markers remove sharpie. Hmmm....

I'll give that a shot though.

Won't that melt the chip? I'll put that in line with the 0000 Steel Wool for the last resort list.

Almost certainly a bad idea. There's no standard ingredient list or definition of what "lacquer thinner" contains, but acetone is pretty common.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom