Alzheimer Tournament - Needs cheap chips (1 Viewer)

i'm nobody

Flush
Reaction score
A friend of mine is putting together a 48 person poker tournament to help benefit Alzheimer research. He done pub nights, golf tournaments, silent auctions, etc but he wants to try putting together an annual poker tournament. We have been discussing different ideas and now we are starting our search for approximately 3,200 chips. Denomination will range from $25 up to $1,000 chips. The cheapest chips I have been able to find are coming in at $.16/chip which is a pretty good price. However, because we are in Canada exchange hits us pretty hard and we wind up paying about 30% more.
Andy advice the members here can provide to give us some other options is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim

Lived practically my whole life in Edmonton before moving abroad in 2012, great initiative. When is the tournament? I travel back a few times a year - if I'm around, I'd love to partake.
Looking at November 2nd. Pretty short notice but would love to see you. $50 buyin with addons and rebuys. And I think Jay is planning on donating 1/2 with other 1/2 going to payout.

Looking at November 2nd. Pretty short notice but would love to see you. $50 buyin with addons and rebuys. And I think Jay is planning on donating 1/2 with other 1/2 going to payout.

I won't be back again until Christmas this year, so I'll miss out. Hope it's a big success though! A couple friends of mine organise a charity tournament for the Stollery Children's Hospital and it's gotten bigger every year. Run a good event for a good cause and people will turn out!

I won't be back again until Christmas this year, so I'll miss out. Hope it's a big success though! A couple friends of mine organise a charity tournament for the Stollery Children's Hospital and it's gotten bigger every year. Run a good event for a good cause and people will turn out!
Keep me in mind for the Stollery event. I have a few guys that would be interested as well. Take care.

That's a lot of chips. Well, you won't have to use dice chips but at your budget there's not going to be much beyond metal sluggers or Super Diamonds, but good luck with your search. You might get lucky and be able to score a large amount of used ceramics.\

Oh, and why do you think you need 3,200 chips? A 48-person tourney can easily be done with much less than 2,000.

So, yeah. @allforcharity is right. You could do a cash set, a tourney set, and still only really need 2200-2500 chips for the entire thing. I mean, I can handle 11 people with rebuys with a 500 chip set.

A friend of mine is putting together a 48 person poker tournament to help benefit Alzheimer research. He done pub nights, golf tournaments, silent auctions, etc but he wants to try putting together an annual poker tournament. We have been discussing different ideas and now we are starting our search for approximately 3,200 chips. Denomination will range from $25 up to $1,000 chips. The cheapest chips I have been able to find are coming in at $.16/chip which is a pretty good price. However, because we are in Canada exchange hits us pretty hard and we wind up paying about 30% more.
Andy advice the members here can provide to give us some other options is really appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim
Wouldn't hurt to contact CPC to see if they ever do charitable donations. Might be worth a shot.

Chips probably couldn't be delivered by November though.

Get a gaming license, order from GPI, use the chips for the tournament, sell them for 100k profit, rinse and repeat.

ZomboMeme 16092019164329.jpg

Th
That's a lot of chips. Well, you won't have to use dice chips but at your budget there's not going to be much beyond metal sluggers or Super Diamonds, but good luck with your search. You might get lucky and be able to score a large amount of used ceramics.\

Oh, and why do you think you need 3,200 chips? A 48-person tourney can easily be done with much less than 2,000.
The idea is adding and rebuys will increase the number required. we will have to review and see what we can get away with.

These are nicer chips, same price (0.12 cad, free ship to CA), although they would involve a border crossing.

(in the world of bottom-of-the-barrel denominated chips I like the feel of these best. Or rather, least-worst. And you can actually stack these 15 high without the pile just sliding into a mess. Please don’t ask me why I’m an expert on awful chips. :confused )

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1000-poker-chips-2-stripe-twist-choice-of-10-denominations/113675171316?hash=item1a779175f4:g:fykAAOSwiR5dKFUs&LH_BIN=1

These are nicer chips, same price (0.12 cad, free ship to CA), although they would involve a border crossing.

(in the world of bottom-of-the-barrel denominated chips I like the feel of these best. Or rather, least-worst. And you can actually stack these 15 high without the pile just sliding into a mess. Please don’t ask me why I’m an expert on awful chips. :confused )

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1000-poker-chips-2-stripe-twist-choice-of-10-denominations/113675171316?hash=item1a779175f4:g:fykAAOSwiR5dKFUs&LH_BIN=1

I like the feel of these as well. No metal slugs at 10g and not slippery.

I like that you are willing to admit that you are an expert on awful chips. Thanks for the chuckle.

For 50 players (T10k stacks, 8/8/4/7), you'll only need the following chips:

400 x T25
400 x T100
200 x T500
350 x T1000
100 x T5000 (for color-ups, see below)
---------------------
1450 total chips

T5000 color-ups: 2x for T25s, 8x for T100s, 20x for T500s, 70x for T1000s

Add extra T5000 chips if you plan on offering re-buys or larger starting stacks.

Imo, your best bet are those 9g two-stripe twist chips for 12c each.

Last edited:
For 50 players (T10k stacks, 8/8/4/7), you'll only need the following chips:

400 x T25
400 x T100
150 x T500
350 x T1000
100 x T5000 (for color-ups, see below)
---------------------
1400 total chips

T5000 color-ups: 2x for T25s, 8x for T100s, 15x for T500s, 70x for T1000s, 5 extras

Add extra T5000 chips if you plan on offering re-buys or larger starting stacks.

Imo, your best bet are those 9g two-stripe twist chips for 12c each.
I was about to post almost the exact same thing but with:
200 x T500 (4 in starting stacks x 50 players)
400 x T1000 (50 extra to colour up the T25 & T100)

Assuming no rebuys, with 50 players there will be T500,000 in play. That's 600 T500s and T1ks.

I'd add 100 x T5k for rebuys for a total of 1500 chips. If you want to remove the T500s at some point, then 4 x T25ks will do it or an extra barrel of T5ks.

@i’m nobody
If you want, I can ask my daughter to mail you a couple of the 2-stripe twist chips from her collection of samples.

She’s ten, so she is reluctant to part with any of her collection, but she probably would in this case. (“For a good cause”). :tup:

Have you considered chip rental?
That would help with your time constraint and then, assuming all goes well and you plan to pursue this as an annual event, you can see about purchasing a set.

@BGinGA he said cheap. I’m just searching for cheap and I’m assuming he’s gonna throw them away after the tourney

$0.06 us is a great start, but by the time you add up the currency conversion and customs they come out to 0.088 cad, and their website says they want $100 shipping for 1,500 chips. :eek:

I don’t know if customs fees would be added to the 0.12 cad 2-stripe twist chips off eBay.ca... the chips are shipped from the US, so ... ? At least they specifically say free shipping to Canada.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom