All PCFers: Input Needed Please (1 Viewer)

MoscowRadio

Flush
Reaction score
A few months ago, my brother set up a GoFundMe campaign to try to help out with medical bills that I would be facing after a surgery to remove a cancerous growth. I lost my job during this time. While I did receive support from the community I am still facing a lot of financial strain, and the biggest reason for this was not included in the campaign details because I was too ashamed and embarrassed to speak about it.

I deal, very heavily, with panic disorder and agoraphobia. I was diagnosed officially about six years ago, but it is something that I have struggled with all my life. Even going to doctor’s visits was incredibly hard for me, and the surgery itself seemed impossible. For someone who deals with this sort of thing, it can be hard to keep a job due to consistent anxiety attacks. Now I am on the verge of losing my apartment because of how far back I’ve been set. The financial aspects of all of this has caused a tremendous strain on my relationship.

In the time that I have, besides looking for a steady job, I have been trying very hard to build poker tables and work on learning more graphic design techniques, but it’s not a great time to try to make money building tables for people as most of the people that I talk to can’t understand why a custom table would cost much more than a folding table from Amazon.

I have spoken to @Tommy about this because, not only am I embarrassed to be in this spot, but I want to be able to provide something for people who are willing to help, and that’s the point of this post. I do not have an active GoFundMe campaign taking place because I want to hear from you guys. I would love to hear how your ideas on how I can give something back to those who may be willing to help. No idea is out of the question, and I would sincerely appreciate your input.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this and for making this community as great as it is.

-James

I commend you with gathering the courage to share yourself with the community. It’s not an easy thing to do. I want you to know that I don’t see you as a person just looking for a hand out. Hard times come across even to people with dignity and integrity. Please keep your hopes up.

I commend you with gathering the courage to share yourself with the community. It’s not an easy thing to do. I want you to know that I don’t see you as a person just looking for a hand out. Hard times come across even to people with dignity and integrity. Please keep your hopes up.

Thank you so much, @yone. Very few people know about my anxiety disorder, but it’s good for me to be more open about it. I sincerely appreciate your encouraging words.

Im very glad you were able to share the story with us James. This is a great family style community and hopefully we can help you out in some way shape or form.

A couple ideas
  1. start a go fund me with lots of details and let everyone share it
  2. as a way of giving back you could design a publix inlay that anyone could use on their chips
  3. you could help out with inlay design around here, we could always use more artists and I'm sure some of the bigger artists here would be willing to help you figure out how much to charge or teach you some tricks. This would be a great way to earn the money while learning a great skill set and helping the community, it would also be a work from home/low stress job if you don't take on to many things at one time or try to rush

I don't know that this is appropriate to ask, but it might help to share the dollar amount of the bills so we know what we are up against as a goal. If you don't want to share this I totally understand.

First of all, I want to echo the sentiments that you have shown a lot of courage to come out and make this post. Being open to support is a crucial first step in dealing with your situation in the best and healthiest possible way.

Second, I want to state categorically that you have NOTHING to be ashamed about. You have not done anything wrong. Right now you are just dealing with circumstances that are (or have been) largely out of your immediate control. Your worth is not defined by your situation - do not forget this.

Thirdly, I think that it is possible to make a successful small business out of custom woodworking and design, if this is an avenue that you really want to explore. I do not have many skills (only opinions) in this field, but perhaps you'd like to talk to @T_Chan to see if he can mentor you through this process. I met him as a customer before he developed his current business, and he has first hand experience and, undoubtedly, valuable advice to give in the practical aspects of running this type of operation, especially where you can find your target market (i.e. not nearly the same type of person who is going to get a folding table from Amazon).

Fourthly, you will need to take care of yourself as best you can. Only when you have enough energy invested in yourself will you develop enough to benefit others, whoever they may be, from your closest loved ones to random people that you meet on the street or online. Remove yourself from behaviours and relationships that are one-sided or a constant drain on your energy. Practice self-awareness and mindfulness wherever and whenever you can.

Always ready to listen, here - Berny

Damn that sounds really hard man. No judgement here. take care man.

Sorry I dont have any good ideas...

Thank you everyone for your replies thus far. I sincerely appreciate it.

To @saleen121212: I will be responding to your post shortly. I just need to write it all out. :tup:

Im very glad you were able to share the story with us James. This is a great family style community and hopefully we can help you out in some way shape or form.

A couple ideas
  1. start a go fund me with lots of details and let everyone share it
  2. as a way of giving back you could design a publix inlay that anyone could use on their chips
  3. you could help out with inlay design around here, we could always use more artists and I'm sure some of the bigger artists here would be willing to help you figure out how much to charge or teach you some tricks. This would be a great way to earn the money while learning a great skill set and helping the community, it would also be a work from home/low stress job if you don't take on to many things at one time or try to rush
I don't know that this is appropriate to ask, but it might help to share the dollar amount of the bills so we know what we are up against as a goal. If you don't want to share this I totally understand.

Okay. So, to begin with, I can definitely start up a GoFundMe, but I didn't want to do so until I had gotten some feedback from the community here. I've noticed that a lot of folks don't care much for looking at posts that fall into the 'Off-Topic' category, so I'm trying to think of some sort of way to get more people to see it.

Secondly, I actually do have public art! I acquired the Four Suits design a couple of years ago, and I've been pretty adamant about allowing anyone to use it. I can also change things around as far as the design is concerned while still keeping within the 'Four Suits' theme. That is something I would be MORE than happy to do! I will attach the original artwork at the bottom of this post.

I'm trying to put together a portfolio of sorts of some of the designs that I have done to hopefully encourage folks here to trust me in helping them to make custom designs for them.

Finally, I would set the goal at $5,000. Truthfully, my biggest fear is losing my home because, unfortunately, it's the only place where I feel safe.

Thanks so much, @saleen121212 and to everyone else. Here is a photo of the original Four Suits artwork.

VqnOOibm.png

First of all, I want to echo the sentiments that you have shown a lot of courage to come out and make this post. Being open to support is a crucial first step in dealing with your situation in the best and healthiest possible way.

Second, I want to state categorically that you have NOTHING to be ashamed about. You have not done anything wrong. Right now you are just dealing with circumstances that are (or have been) largely out of your immediate control. Your worth is not defined by your situation - do not forget this.

Thirdly, I think that it is possible to make a successful small business out of custom woodworking and design, if this is an avenue that you really want to explore. I do not have many skills (only opinions) in this field, but perhaps you'd like to talk to @T_Chan to see if he can mentor you through this process. I met him as a customer before he developed his current business, and he has first hand experience and, undoubtedly, valuable advice to give in the practical aspects of running this type of operation, especially where you can find your target market (i.e. not nearly the same type of person who is going to get a folding table from Amazon).

Fourthly, you will need to take care of yourself as best you can. Only when you have enough energy invested in yourself will you develop enough to benefit others, whoever they may be, from your closest loved ones to random people that you meet on the street or online. Remove yourself from behaviours and relationships that are one-sided or a constant drain on your energy. Practice self-awareness and mindfulness wherever and whenever you can.

Always ready to listen, here - Berny

Thank you so much for the kind words, Berny. I very much appreciate it. While the panic disorder and agoraphobia may not be my fault, it's still incredibly hard to talk about, especially with the stigma surrounding mental illness. Many people don't regard it as being as serious as other illnesses, and many others tell you to "pick yourself up by your own bootstraps." I sincerely wish it were that simple.

As far as woodworking goes, @T_Chan has always been incredibly helpful whenever I have any questions. I love building tables, and, if people are willing to purchase one, I'm confident in my ability to build almost any sort of table. Unfortunately, the only orders that really come in are for standard tables with the barest of materials. I also don't want to cross any lines or boundaries with Tony as he's very much running his own business.

Finally, I am working incredibly hard on taking care of myself as best as I can. I appreciate this part of your post the most because it can be incredibly difficult, especially when dealing with outside hardships.

Thanks again, Berny. I really appreciate your time and your thoughtfulness.

I would really love to hear from more members and their ideas. If I had chips to auction off I would. I still haven’t set up any sort of campaign because I’m unsure of how to pay it forward in some kind of way.

Thanks everyone.

As Berny and others have so eloquently put it, there's nothing to be ashamed about. Glad that you're speaking out to our community, and hope you have an outlet in real life for guidance in your situation.

Having seen some of your design work here, I'm confident you'll find clientele on PCF once the proofs and finished products start seeping out into the forums. As for the woodworking, PCF is a great place to start, but if you want more business you'll have to do some marketing. Social media presences etc are a great way to get that going for free (or for a low investment), especially showcasing the nicer, higher end price points.

Wish you all the best James.

This place is an interesting family, but a family none the less. Everyone is here to help.

I too have and still battle with agoraphobia daily. I figured out my way around it long ago, but everyone's gotta find there own answer. It'll be hard and stress you out daily, but it's worth it. I wish you the best of luck!

I want you to know that severe anxiety and panic disorder are nothing to be ashamed of. Both me and my wife have panic disorder and although it doesn’t happen every day or every week, it can be crippling when it does happen and it certainly is hard to understand for a lot of people why we can’t just “snap out of it”. I totally understand that aspect of it.

You feel safe here too just as you feel safe in your apartment. I also feel that way. You are amongst friends and people that won’t shun you and instead will really listen and understand. It’s definitely why I always keep coming back here :)

If you’d like to do a little light graphic design for me, I would be happy to pay you if that helps. I am interested in starting my first custom set from CPC and feel lost because I’m not an artist. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk via PM. You could even help me figure out spot patterns!

Hang in there. I know it’s hard but there is always hope.

You have nothing to be ashamed of. A lot of people tend to not open up about issues they may dealing with. Although, you have reached out and you’d be surprised on how many people will listen, especially here. Everyone is family, we all want to help one another with ideas.
As others have stated, you gotta take care of yourself, you have to have a healthy mindset.
You’re on your way towards that. Keep staying positive about what you’re trying to do.

As for some ideas:

By the looks you have some creative mindset for graphic design. social media and a little marketing will go a long ways. Once you find your target market, orders will start filing in. Here at pcf, we are always looking to expand our chip vault.

As for medical bills, you can always reach out to the hospital and work out a payment plan with them. They are usually understanding with your financial needs.

Lastly, just keep striving to be the best you, find out what makes you happy. Life is a rollercoaster, we are always taking detours and trying to find our ways back to the main road. Just know you have people here to reach out too whenever in need.

Stay positive and I wish you luck on your journey. There is always hope.

Gary

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom