Affordable chips + hotstamp (1 Viewer)

Larold

Pair
Reaction score
I need to build as affordable a set of chips as possible for tourneys. Will start at 20-30 players first few months, max 40. Could easily grow to 50-60, even peaking at 80 theoretically in a year or two. It is absolutely required to have a 6-7 digit number, the same number across all chips, permanently marked on each chip, probably a few letters too. I assumed hot-stamping was the way to go. Minimum frills needed for the chips - just need them to last for years, assuming 3-4 uses per year. I have a few questions / assists needed:
  • Assuming some tourneys will start with T5 as lowest denom and others are T25 lowest denom, can some folks help specify recommended chip counts / denoms for 50 person tournaments? Assume, in general, heavy rebuying and add-ons.
  • Can I multiply by 1.6 to get recommended count for 80-person tourneys?
  • Are there shops / companies that can provide both the chips and stamping for reasonable prices?
  • If the answer above is 'no', does one take say a bunch of super diamonds to a print shop for the stamping? Curious how this gets done in general.
Thanks all!

Last edited:
Do you want each chip to have a different number stamped or all the same? To hotstamp all the chips needed for an 80 person tournament would be insanely expensive, my first thought for a few times a year huge set is ceramics.

Do you want each chip to have a different number stamped or all the same? To hotstamp all the chips needed for an 80 person tournament would be insanely expensive, my first thought for a few times a year huge set is ceramics.
All the same number/letter sequence. 80 is an extreme; I anticipate standard needs will be 30-50.

Slow. Down.
^ This specially if legality is something you got to worry about.

AFAIK, Hotstamps are not permanent either.

With such a large venue of players and only 3 or 4 times a year , I would go the Tina route. Chips are denominated on the face, cheap enough for 1600~3200 chips depending on how many you need / various structure.

All the same number/letter sequence. 80 is an extreme; I anticipate standard needs will be 30-50.
Sure, someone else will give you a better chip breakdown but you're still talking atleast 1000 chips; blank clay chip can cost anything from $1 to $4+, then hotstamping is another buck or two per chip. Will add up pretty quickly.

The long digit number would look much worse as a stamp, I think a printed inlay or ceramic would be a better choice.

^ This specially if legality is something you got to worry about.

AFAIK, Hotstamps are not permanent either.

With such a large venue of players and only 3 or 4 times a year , I would go the Tina route. Chips are denominated on the face, cheap enough for 1600~3200 chips depending on how many you need / various structure.
All the legal aspects have been scrutinized and accounted for. Good to know about the hot stamps - thanks.

Unfortunately I think the Tina route might be a bit expensive for the organization that would be buying; I can't see them wanting to spend more than a -few- hundred $$, emphasis on few. Even at bulk rates + shipping + free design, I'd have to think the Tinas would come to over 40 cents a piece. I think they're willing to take a big hit on max number of players before they're willing to shell out for chips, but I may be wrong. Especially since tourneys can recur but chips are a one-time expense. I'll talk to them.

I can't help but wonder if we could all grab some super diamonds and spend a couple hours with ten of us writing the number on all the chips with permanent marker. Ugly, but it gets the job done. :)

All the legal aspects have been scrutinized and accounted for. Good to know about the hot stamps - thanks.

Unfortunately I think the Tina route might be a bit expensive for the organization that would be buying; I can't see them wanting to spend more than a -few- hundred $$, emphasis on few. Even at bulk rates + shipping + free design, I'd have to think the chips would come to over 40 cents a piece. I think they're willing to take a big hit on max number of players before they're willing to shell out for chips, but I may be wrong. Especially since tourneys can recur but chips are a one-time expense. I'll talk to them.

I can't help but wonder if we could all grab some super diamonds and spend a couple hours with ten of us writing the number on all the chips with permanent marker. Ugly, but it gets the job done. :)
Okay, if youre only spending a few hundred on a tournament set for that many people you're right. Hotstamping and customs are way out of your budget. Might be dice chips or the diamonds and markers.

Okay, if youre only spending a few hundred on a tournament set for that many people you're right. Hotstamping and customs are way out of your budget. Might be dice chips or the diamonds and markers.
That's what I was wondering. Dice chips are those plinky plastic red-white-blue ones we grew up with grandpa and grandma having in the games closet, right? :)

How are you going to use the same numbers on all chips for a tournment?

Tina is the definition of budget friendly, I think Justin's recent group buy is

Textured No-Mold
39 mm- $.34 each
43 mm- $.45 each

Cards Mold
39mm- $.40
43mm- $.45
He's talking about the serial number on the chip, they would have different denoms.

This is a non-profit organization that doesn't have the budget even for Tina's, but this is a forum of experts so that's why I asked.
That's why it so out of place here, because you are not going to find much options cheaper than Tina here.

Even just Hotstamping is a more expensive option.

How much of a budget are you talking about because 8 table T5 with 10/10/7/2 or T25 Tourney with 8/8/4/7 configuration will need around 2,400 chips.

Last edited:
34 cents apiece is about as inexpensive as you’ll find for a custom chip.
The trouble with writing in sharpie on a dice chip is that anyone can do that. Security is the problem there, as grandma’s closet is full of them, and they could easily be slipped into your game.

That's why it so out of place here, because you are not going to find much options cheaper than Tina here.

Even just Hotstamping is a more expensive option.

How much of a budget are you talking about because 8 table T5 with 10/10/7/2 or T25 Tourney with 8/8/4/7 configuration will need around 2,400 chips.
I'm going back to edit the original post - 80 is an extreme that wouldn't happen for awhile. Starting out will be 20-30, maybe 40 max. I don't know the exact budget but if I had to guess, $200 USD for chips easily doable, absolute max $500 unless I'm told otherwise. I was under the mistaken impression from an old post that hot stamping was only a few cents per chip.

I don't know the exact budget but if I had to guess, $200 USD for chips easily doable, absolute max $500 unless I'm told otherwise
If budget is an issue and a main concern going forward and I am the one helping.

I will be asking the NPO how much the budget will be and also what the requirement will be before anything.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom