Advice with custom CPC tourney set (Paulson Pharaoh tribute - Armenia theme) (1 Viewer)

How do you feel about the quality of the bird logo on the label you printed?

Personally, I'm not a fan of photographs on chips. I'd strongly recommend having a designer (we have several on the forum) take the photos you want to use, like the bird thing and the statue face image, and and turn them into simpler drawings of those same things. This allows the same idea to get across without trying to have a highly-detailed image shrunk down to chip size where it loses its detail and ends up looking like a blurry mess.

Again, just my opinion, but hopefully something worth considering. I love the idea and the mockups so far!
Yes absolutely agreed, these are just very rough mockups. I plan to get all images simplified/rasterized. As-is would look bad, I agree

Last edited:
Really love the artwork! My brother in law is Armenian and between the city and the name I knew what was up. Love the dealers button as well. Very well done. Did you do the artwork yourself? Didn’t see a mention of that in the thread but I may have missed it.

I think your artwork would be fine at 7/8” but perhaps you could shift the artwork up a bit to make the denom slightly larger. I suggest you look at AMolds with 1” inlays. 7/8” is definitely more common.

I like your original chip designs the best but also like @Coyote ’s mostly 3D14 set design.

Last edited:
Really love the artwork! My brother in law is Armenian and between the city and the name I knew what was up. Love the dealers button as well. Very well done. Did you do the artwork yourself? Didn’t see a mention of that in the thread but I may have missed it.

I think your artwork would be fine at 7/8” but perhaps you could shift the artwork up a bit to make the denom slightly larger. I suggest you look at AMolds with 1” inlays. 7/8” is definitely more common.

I like your original chip designs the. EST but also like @Coyote ’s mostly 3D14 set design.
Thank you!

None of the images/pictures used so far are original...yet. They were all just ripped from google images as I work through my rough ideas. Once I get the layout, sizing, and fonts right I will kindly ask my sister (who is great at graphic design) to draw up the final images in illustrator.

I think my biggest challenge so far is getting all the sizing and placements such that they will be legible yet un-cluttered, especially on a heavy textured inlay. Perhaps I can employ the services of a seasoned PCF chip designer

Last edited:
That makes sense. From the 'random' CPC sample set that I have, I can see that the FDL mold inlay is totally smooth, but the clay does indeed have texture. Could it be that the inlay texture wears down?

It seems like the HHR, small crown, and diamond/square molds all have a relatively smooth finish on the inlay. The b-mold seems to have the most textured inlay. Can I assume that the B-mold inlay will be similar in texture to the a-mold? I wish I had an inlaid a-mold in this set.
You need a mold sample. All molds are individual, although most are similar. There are important exceptions, though. FdL is textured on the rim but smooth inside - so also smooth inlays. Small crown is relatively smooth, but large crown is even smoother.

You need a mold sample. All molds are individual, although most are similar. There are important exceptions, though. FdL is textured on the rim but smooth inside - so also smooth inlays. Small crown is relatively smooth, but large crown is even smoother.
Placed my order this morning :D

possible slight revision
1598315564070.png

1598315495352.png

Version more closely mimicking pharaohs

It feels like I've looked at this too much and I don't even know what I'm looking at, or what even looks good.
I should probably give my brain a little break

1598427127735.png
1598427155443.png

It feels like I've looked at this too much and I don't even know what I'm looking at, or what even looks good.

View attachment 520383View attachment 520384
This last one looks really nice! Definitely keep the water mark. Always a good idea to take a break and revisit with fresh eyes. You will probably find details to change both with inlays and spots after a while. I have a feeling this set will be amazing!

View attachment 520383View attachment 520384
If you do decide to go the route of a designer here, it may help to see more of what the end product would look like and ask to mockup both ways, then decide before reaching out to designer.

Think it's a pretty cool set, haven't seen something like this done recently.

I saw the LA and noho, lol surprised to not see Glendale?! (Grew up in the area)

Update:
Here are some new thoughts on colors/spots. Please ignore the inlays as they are just very rough and temporary.

The T500 chip has an edge spot that is the same color as the base, which allows for this look. Is this allowed by CPC?

Thanks all!

1608367176870.png

For a first draft you did great. The 5000 is the only one that seems in need of a little work.

If you haven’t already, order a mold sample set so you can see them all in person and understand the texture difference. I, personally, do not like the look and feel of the A mold texture, which is too bad because it’s a nice mold and you can do oversize. The relative smoothness of CSQ and DSQ are much nicer and produce a far more attractive finish look to the chips, IMHO. That said, there are some amazing sets on the A mold and your set screams for the A mold. Get samples to confirm, though. You want to know at this price point.

Update:
Here are some new thoughts on colors/spots. Please ignore the inlays as they are just very rough and temporary.

The T500 chip has an edge spot that is the same color as the base, which allows for this look. Is this allowed by CPC?

Thanks all!

View attachment 597430

Really like the look of what you've done. Love the T5K. One thing - I know you are mimicking the Pharaohs on the T100, but have you considered a slightly different base? Maybe Maroon? I just think Maroon is a great color that is under used and looks great as a T100 base. Not a huge diff from the black, but so much more interesting IMO. Just a thought?

0ca5b8ab-2f52-4c5f-b64e-0c436225cde1.png
vs.
61eb8a29-3feb-4d0a-92e7-f51447978c05.png

If you haven’t already, order a mold sample set so you can see them all in person and understand the texture difference. I, personally, do not like the look and feel of the A mold texture, which is too bad because it’s a nice mold and you can do oversize. The relative smoothness of CSQ and DSQ are much nicer and produce a far more attractive finish look to the chips, IMHO. That said, there are some amazing sets on the A mold and your set screams for the A mold. Get samples to confirm, though. You want to know at this price point.
I have color and mold samples from CPC, 100% agree I wouldn't do anything without these in my hands and in front of my eyes. I like HHR and A-mold mostly because they're the most economical options. Ideally I would go with DSQ, but I don't know if I can justify the higher price :(

I can’t remember if it’s @Seeking Alpha Social Club or @Rhodeman77 or @slisk250 or someone else that is pretty adamant that light green is better than Dayglo green?
I am still playing around with the T25. My thought behind the dayglo was that I wanted the colors to really pop and not be too dark across the denoms. It will certainly be either the dayglo or the light green. I am perusing other people's custom sets to see what I like.
Really like the look of what you've done. Love the T5K. One thing - I know you are mimicking the Pharaohs on the T100, but have you considered a slightly different base? Maybe Maroon? I just think Maroon is a great color that is under used and looks great as a T100 base. Not a huge diff from the black, but so much more interesting IMO. Just a thought?

View attachment 597489 vs. View attachment 597491
I have considered a different base color. Here are some I've been working on, as well as some other variations of some of the other denoms.
I will kick myself if I don't use that amazingly pop-y dayglo pink somewhere!

t100.png
t500.png

t1k.png

t25k.png

As you can tell, I am far from deciding. I am a naturally indecisive person when it comes to these things, so I am a long way from landing on something I can be confident about.

Thanks everyone!

I don't think it was me. I went with dayglo. Although, I may have been drunk talking shit...LOL!!

View attachment 597886
I went with light green over dayglo, but the set above was the first one on here that I truly loved. The oversized A molds w/ 4DS18, the laser etched acrylic buttons, and the (not pictured) custom racks...I incorporated a lot of these details in my set, to the point where I think I owe @Seeking Alpha Social Club a royalty payment.

I don't think it was me. I went with dayglo. Although, I may have been drunk talking shit...LOL!!

View attachment 597886
Another reason to go with A-mold, I can make oversized denoms. I just know I will end up shattering my budget!
For an ancient-ish purpose, the Light Green is the way to go (as base color, at least)
View attachment 597891
This looks absolutely incredible! May I ask who did this inlay design?
I was recently inspired by some Armenian goods my wife picked up recently. One is from a handmade card from an orphanage in Armenia, and the other is an enamel pin. I was thinking of going another direction (non-pharaoh) with this type of bird thing. This type of bird imagery is a big part of Armenian art, and your inlay reminds me of that. Stunning.

bird2.jpg
bird1.jpg

Another reason to go with A-mold, I can make oversized denoms. I just know I will end up shattering my budget!

This looks absolutely incredible! May I ask who did this inlay design?
I was recently inspired by some Armenian goods my wife picked up recently. One is from a handmade card from an orphanage in Armenia, and the other is an enamel pin. I was thinking of going another direction (non-pharaoh) with this type of bird thing. This type of bird imagery is a big part of Armenian art, and your inlay reminds me of that. Stunning.

View attachment 597896View attachment 597897
A local graphic designer (and photographer) friend fine-tuned the label. At your disposal, if you need him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom