Advice wanted for first upgraded set (brand and count) (1 Viewer)

I know that you're on a budget but if wanted to make sure you know... you can get Majestic or Milanos customized from Apache and DDLM or Tiki Kings customized from BRPro.

The Apache customs allow you to go with any standard chip color schemes and change the words and denominations on the chip inlay. It bumps the price to a little over a dollar a chip.

BRPro poker will let you change the color and denomination on their chips for only 10 cents more per chip. So like 75 or 80 cents a chip to do custom Tiki Kings with 5 cents.

I know that you're on a budget but if wanted to make sure you know... you can get Majestic or Milanos customized from Apache and DDLM or Tiki Kings customized from BRPro.

The Apache customs allow you to go with any standard chip color schemes and change the words and denominations on the chip inlay. It bumps the price to a little over a dollar a chip.

BRPro poker will let you change the color and denomination on their chips for only 10 cents more per chip. So like 75 or 80 cents a chip to do custom Tiki Kings with 5 cents.
Thanks! I knew about the BRPro customs but not the Apache customs. I've been leaning toward a custom DDLM set now even though it's way above my original budget. Is it true each custom needs to be 25 chip minimum? I've seen that on some BRPro pages but not on others, namely, the singles custom page says that and the 300 chip custom set doesn't. I think just about the full 300-400 set will be custom but would be nice if I could only get 5-10 chips of a few denom and not the full 25.

Yes. 25 minimum. Even with the 300 chip custom set, you have to get at least 25 of each scheme.
Ah too bad. Do you also know how custom text chips work for that set? I've seen some rebuy or all-in or bounty chips. I know they have the 10-chip bounty option but not sure how you would order the other ones. And would you need to order 25 all-in chips then since assuming it's custom?

Just doesn't have these massive inflated numbers you're pushing around that dissociate from the buy-in amount. I feel like you have a better idea of what $20 buys you when you get $20 in chips instead of $20,000.
Think of a poker tournament like say, a tournament playing Monopoly. 4 players make a $20 bet to see who wins. In monopoly, each player starts with $1,500 in Monopoly money.
See how the real cash invested at the start of the tournament has nothing to do with the game money?
Not to belabor the point, but the distinction between a cash game and a tournament is really important as @Colquhoun tried to explain. When you buy into a tournament, the chips that you have have NO ASSOCIATED VALUE except insofar as they help you win everyone else's chips. You may have gotten 2000 chips for your $20 buyin, but if you run that up to 3000 chips you can't go cash them in for $30. The only way to get your money out is to outlast enough opponents to finish in the money, normally 3 spots for smaller tournaments, or just the top spot for very small ones.
I get that the chip values don't really matter for a tournament, but don't see why it's an outright bad thing to associate them with real value.
It's an outright bad thing to associate the chips with "real value" if you're actually running a tournament because they don't have any "real value." When you bet 1000 chips in a tournament, you're not actually betting $10 (because you can't convert those chips to cash), and thinking about it as $10 doesn't accurately reflect the value of those chips at that point in the tournament (there's a lot down that rabbit hole if you want to go research ICM in poker tournaments). For those reasons experienced players would never be tempted to think of the "buy-in value" of their remaining chips, but when dealing with players that still think that way I would make a point of making them different to help them realize that this is a tournament and not a cash game.

Obviously, you can run your game however you want, just trying to explain why your description of your game is giving everyone in here fits and why semi-serious poker players that show up to your game could be VERY confused about what is happening.

Ah too bad. Do you also know how custom text chips work for that set? I've seen some rebuy or all-in or bounty chips. I know they have the 10-chip bounty option but not sure how you would order the other ones. And would you need to order 25 all-in chips then since assuming it's custom?
I'm not 100% sure but here is my guess. I suspect they could do one word instead of BOUNTY but you wouldn't get much more text than that. Yes it would be 25 minimum unless you get 49mm or 60mm chips. If you go big you can get 1 but without edge printing and they are $5.50+ each. Ypu need to get 10 to get edges printed.

The Valentinos have alot of room for text.

If OP is happy with his format ($20 buy-in with 5c/10c opening blinds that roughly double every 30-35 minutes, re-buys/add-ons allowed, winner-take-all) and is on a tight fixed budget to replace his no-denomination chips....

I'd just take a permanent marker and turn his existing chips into denominated chips. Easiest and cheapest solution, by far. No need for fancy chips. Win-win for all involved.

@jumboshrimpz, we occasionally run a timed cash-value tournament, which is very similar to your format. A few minor differences:

-- players buy-in for $60 and get a stack of cash chips worth $60
-- $60 re-buys are allowed if felted
-- blinds start at 25c/50 and increase every 20 minutes
-- blinds increase by either 33% or 50%, averaging 42% over the course of the game

The game can either play to completion (one player has all of the chips, payouts to top 25% of the field size), taking about 4.5 hours for a single table, ~or~

The game can be played for a fixed time amount (typically 3 hours, or 9 blind levels) and all remaining players cash out for the chips they currently have in their stack.

Works just fine either way.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom