Additional tax on Card Mold chips when shipping to Canada? (1 Viewer)

MemphisFats

Two Pair
Reaction score
I’m considering buying a card mold set from Tina. I’d just like to find out if I will be charged any extra taxes or duties when they are delivered or when they enter Canada? I live in Alberta.
Has anyone had chips delivered to Alberta and were there taxes or duty fees to pay? Anyone order chips in another province, did you have to pay extra?
Also how long did shipping take?
Thanks
Memphis

Last edited:
Any item worth $20 or more is subject to applicable duty fees (GST or HST and/or PST depending on province) in Canada (gifts above $60), plus handling fees from the courier or post office (Canada Post is around $10).

You may get lucky and not have to pay anything, but you should expect to pay customs and if you don't, bonus.

All that said, I can tell you that Tina did offer to declare whatever value I wanted for my shipment to Switzerland last year, so there's that option if you want to take on the risk associated with that. I declared the full value and just paid the customs fees.

If your shipment is sent via a country's regular postal service then you will usually only pay applicable taxes (HST/GST/PST plus $10 handling fee) on shipments with a declared value of more than $200. If your shipment is sent via a private courier you will usually pay taxes on the declared value and a much higher handling fee.

Duties (not to be confused with taxes) may also be levied depending on: where the goods were made, declared value, type of good, commercial use, etc.

The above does not take into consideration the time of year, political party in power nor the mood of the CBSA agent at the time your shipment arrives into Canada.

For a more precise description of the importing goods for personal use process:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/personal-personnel/menu-eng.html

Great info above.

I'd say in all my years of chipping, the odds of getting taxes/duties from a US shipment are very low. 1 in 10, or 1 in 20 shipments.

But the odds of getting taxed from an overseas shipment is nearly 100% for me.

So like @cpac54 said, definitely plan for it. Save up some extra bucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom