ACL injury.... (1 Viewer)

longflop

Flush
Reaction score
I managed to hurt myself in late January running through drills at a Lacrosse coaching certification clinic. I wish it was something cool, but I just jumped and landed on a stack of 2X4's that were, for some reason, stacked right next to the field. I thought it was an MCL sprain, but I have done that before and it got better by now. So I just returned from the Ortho's office and he is sending me for an MRI next week, but he is 99% sure it is an ACL injury. If it is, golf would be done for the summer and hockey is done until next fall, which is fine because I don't really like playing the summer season anyway. Good thing is there are no cutting movements during poker, so this shouldn't impact that.

So... Have any of you guys or girls gone through this? Any pro tips? What can I expect?

I tore mine completely about 3 years ago.

Didn’t bother getting the recon done, though I have quit soccer as a result (though I did play a couple of acl free indoor games and it was ok).

So I can’t really help you on the surgery front, but i can say it’s fine to go without one. I mostly do gym work these days but it’s never affected me squatting heavy or doing lunges etc.

@longflop I just found out that I tore my ACL two weeks ago. I am doing the reconstruction at Midwest Orthopaedics in Chicago, IL with a doctor named Brian Cole. These are some of the top orthopedic guys in our region and they have fantastic resources on their site to explore surgery options. I plan to remain fairly active and will do reconstruction using the Patellar tendon. My understanding is that there are three options:

Rebuild with Patellar tendon. This involved removing the tendon that runs from the patella (knee cap) to the tibia (shin bone). They remove 11mm of tendon and bone on each end. They use this to replace the ligament and it's supposed to be stronger than the original 8mm ACL. The con to this surgery is that you're creating another injury that must heal. Brian works on NBA (Chicago Bulls), MLB (White Sox), and MLS (Chicago Fire) players. He said that 80% of that industry would choose this surgery and it's been in practice since the 1980s. It seems to be tried and true.

Rebuilding with hamstring. I have not researched this option and the three doctor's I've talked to haven't mentioned it.

Rebuild with a cadaevor ACL. There is a slightly higher failure rate in this process and you're introducing an external piece into the body. My surgeon told me that this may also be less strong than the Patellar tendon rebuild. He said for somebody that doesn't want as invasive of a procedure and won't be doing heavy lateral exercise, this may be a good option.

For reference, I'm 33 years old and approximately 175lbs. Not sure if this factored in to any of the options I was offered. Hope this helps and let's get these knees back to working order!

@longflop I just found out that I tore my ACL two weeks ago. I am doing the reconstruction at Midwest Orthopaedics in Chicago, IL with a doctor named Brian Cole. These are some of the top orthopedic guys in our region and they have fantastic resources on their site to explore surgery options. I plan to remain fairly active and will do reconstruction using the Patellar tendon. My understanding is that there are three options:

Rebuild with Patellar tendon. This involved removing the tendon that runs from the patella (knee cap) to the tibia (shin bone). They remove 11mm of tendon and bone on each end. They use this to replace the ligament and it's supposed to be stronger than the original 8mm ACL. The con to this surgery is that you're creating another injury that must heal. Brian works on NBA (Chicago Bulls), MLB (White Sox), and MLS (Chicago Fire) players. He said that 80% of that industry would choose this surgery and it's been in practice since the 1980s. It seems to be tried and true.

Rebuilding with hamstring. I have not researched this option and the three doctor's I've talked to haven't mentioned it.

Rebuild with a cadaevor ACL. There is a slightly higher failure rate in this process and you're introducing an external piece into the body. My surgeon told me that this may also be less strong than the Patellar tendon rebuild. He said for somebody that doesn't want as invasive of a procedure and won't be doing heavy lateral exercise, this may be a good option.

For reference, I'm 33 years old and approximately 175lbs. Not sure if this factored in to any of the options I was offered. Hope this helps and let's get these knees back to working order!
Yeah man, the guy I saw today is on the team that treats the Ravens and Orioles. Well respected and highly recommended. I'm definitely going to listen to what he has to say.

I did talk to my PT, who I trust, who said that even if it is torn, I don't HAVE to have the surgery. Problem is I'm only 40, and I feel like I have at least a couple years of hockey left in me, so I want to get back to normal.

How did you hurt yours?

Tore the ACL, meniscus and cartilage in my right knee playing basketball last winter. Doc said it looked like a bomb went off. Cadaver ACL, meniscus trim, and microfracture surgery for the cartilage.

The injury happened in January, in February I started playing pick-up ball (with extreme mediocrity) with the injury in February, had the surgery in March. I only mention it to make the point that, normally, I don't let pain get to me too much, but post-surgery was a f****ing b***h. Far worse than the injury. I was on crutches for 6 weeks while the microfracture healed. If it's just the ACL for you and you can basically start rehabbing right away, it probably won't be so bad.

I rehabbed over the summer and got back to pick-up ball in November. I definitely didn't have the strength/explosiveness back yet, but every week I gained confidence it in and was willing to test it more. Then in January I went ice skating on a Sunday, no big deal. The following day at hoops, pain started building in my knee. Not severe, but enough that I couldn't move well at all. Took a week off, got back on the court, and the same condition consisted for two weeks, so I shut it down, probably through the summer. Gonna just do some more rehab and see where it is in the fall. Walking, stairs, day-to-day stuff I have no issues. I was 39 when it happened, 40 now, for what it's worth.

Yeah man, the guy I saw today is on the team that treats the Ravens and Orioles. Well respected and highly recommended. I'm definitely going to listen to what he has to say.

I did talk to my PT, who I trust, who said that even if it is torn, I don't HAVE to have the surgery. Problem is I'm only 40, and I feel like I have at least a couple years of hockey left in me, so I want to get back to normal.

How did you hurt yours?
You're absolutely right, tons of people live without their ACL and use a brace when lateral movement will occur. Surgery is absolutely optional and I was told that it could happen any time. My concern is causing meniscus issues if I maintain sport.

I injured mine playing indoor soccer on turf. I also play a bit of hockey and I play with guys that play well into retirement. I am choosing the repair route bc I don't plan/want to lay off being active.

Uggg. Harry that is terrible. Very sorry that happened. Our chocolate lab tore his ACL and had to have surgery a year ago. The recovery was a lot harder than theprocedures but he is good as new now. Hopefully both go smoothly for you and you come out the other side ready to be active again.

Uggg. Harry that is terrible. Very sorry that happened. Our chocolate lab tore his ACL and had to have surgery a year ago. The recovery was a lot harder than theprocedures but he is good as new now. Hopefully both go smoothly for you and you come out the other side ready to be active again.
I'm betting it was the high dose of hot dog rolls that helped the healing.

The research i did seemed to indicate that the trauma of the surgery could lead to further issues down the track with osteoporosis.

My surgeon didn’t even consider letting me rehab as an alternative to surgery, he just wanted to cut.

I had my surgery booked in and was rehabbing with a physio and we both decided I could cope fine without it.

Granted i might be in the small minority that seem to be fine without one, but I would at least consider rehabbing it for a while to see if you can function without it.

Surgeons cut, chemo guys poison and undertakers bury the mistakes.
Well that's gotta be the feel good post of the day!

I am really curious to see what the MRI says. The doc was convinced of damage to the ACL, but I played in an ice hockey game the night before my appointment. There is no real power in that leg, and I don't feel super confident on it, but I managed through the game. He did say no more hockey though.

Update. I had my consultation with the Ortho today. ACL is gone, mild MCL sprain and damage to the meniscus. Surgery scheduled for April 18th. He will find out when he gets in there whether the meniscus can be repaired or needs to be cut. So, we are in process.

Good luck with surgery, I go in for similar surgery on 4/10. Did you decide which ACL reconstruction surgery you're going with?

Good luck with surgery, I go in for similar surgery on 4/10. Did you decide which ACL reconstruction surgery you're going with?
The guy who I met with said he never does the cadaver tendon. I trust this guy, my General Practitioner and Physical Therapist both said he is the guy. I trust their opinions. He said he would pull it from my hamstring.

Did they offer up the patellar tendon? Hamstring wasn't offered in the equation by my docs.

Did they offer up the patellar tendon? Hamstring wasn't offered in the equation by my docs.
He walked me through both options. He said that he prefers the patella in younger athletes. Older (I'm 41) he likes to go with the hamstring. He told me that is causes less problems with squatting and bending the knee. All the google research I've read says both are utilized and successful.

@longflop I had heard about an age restriction on the Patellar tendon reconstruction prior to meeting with my surgeon as well. I'm 33 and I had heard that 30 used to be the cut off. I asked him if there are any considerations that I should give provided my age and he said that age was not something they factor in on the surgery. I had a friend that had the hamstring reconstruction and he is still playing competitive soccer with ease. Said he would 100% go that route again too.

My ACL surgery is complete and Day 1 and 2 were easy. Day 3 turned rough when I tried dropping off the hydrocodone and tried to go to Advil. Bad idea and I am back on the Hydrocodone. Blue Cross Blue Shield wasnt going to cover my doctor's recommendation for an ice machine. The doctor was going to charge me $25/day to rent it, so I bought one on Amazon. This thing has been a huge help for $250. Thought I would mention it before you go in, just in case you're looking for something similar.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040OD2IO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

IMG_20190411_113528.jpgIMG_20190411_113540.jpgIMG_20190411_113641.jpgIMG_20190411_113701.jpgIMG_20190411_113710.jpgIMG_20190411_113731.jpg

Just had my last water until after the surgery is done tomorrow. Go to the surgicenter at 1:15, procedure starts at 3:15, home tomorrow night. Not going to lie to you, a bit of anxiety going on right now. Also a bit of excitement to get this thing over with and start working towards getting good again.

@longflop good luck tomorrow! No need for anxiety. I had a buddy get his done the same day as mine and we've been sharing recovery stories. Tips for success...

My friend and I both had a nerve block so day 1 and day 2 felt fine. I could do full rehab exercises on day 2. Nerve block wore off of day 3 and the pain set in. I believe I hurt my knee a bit by doing all of the exercises on Day 2. Maybe consider this when doing exercises? I haven't been able to do any exercises due to swelling/pain since this.

If they don't give you an icing machine, consider buying this unit and use 2 large frozen water bottles with 3 small frozen water bottles to cool with. Avoids the need to constantly dump the unit out and having to keep up with ice:
Ossur Cold Rush Therapy System (W/ Knee Pad) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040OD2IO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LydUCbKMPX2GB

I went home in a full leg, locked brace, friend went home in nothing. Consider how you will get in and out of a recliner or bed, this is the hardest part. First 2 days, girlfriend picked leg up with both hands at the ankle and would help me sit up. Locked brace helped my leg act as a teeter totter on the edge of the bed so I could slowly tilt it down towards the floor. Friend without a brace says he uses his non injured leg to support the injured knee as he gets up and down.

The most pain for my friend and I occurs when standing up. Feels like blood rushes to the knee and pain is intense. We have both found good luck in standing up and transitioning very slowly. For instance, sitting straight up in bed for a few minutes, move to the edge of the bed and sit with leg down on the ground for a few minutes, stand up with crutches for a few minutes and then move to walking.

For my crutches, I bought this pack to help carry stuff around:

Vive Crutch Bag - Pouch with Foam Hand Grip Pads - Tote for Broken Leg Crutches with Storage Pockets - Ergonomic, Orthopedic, Lightweight Carry On - Medical Forearm Crutch Accessories for Women, Men https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IBUD24G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_CGdUCb1BH19HD

Before you go in for surgery make sure you're as clean and deodorized as you can be. Showering after surgery is extremely difficult!

Hope these help, feel free to reach out if you have any questions, I'll just be laying in bed over here :)

And once again, good luck tomorrow!
IMG_20190417_212255.jpgIMG_20190415_114707.jpgIMG_20190411_113527.jpgIMG_20190411_113641.jpgIMG_20190410_143052.jpgIMG_20190411_113731.jpgIMG_20190411_113710.jpgIMG_20190410_185348.jpg

@pltrgyst great feedback. My buddy that had his ACL surgery last wed ordered his on Monday and hopes to get it today. He said it's been rough without it. Girlfriend's family has knee replacements at every level on her dad's side. Her dad had three ACLs before the knee. Taught me to hire a good surgeon so I didn't need a knee at 50. He told me surgery wasn't possible without this thing and I'm glad he did

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom