Does ebay protect you from scammers? (2 Viewers)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
I just listed a few items on eBay for the first time in years. Sold an item for $90. Printed USPS label through eBay, shipped, delivered yesterday. Today I got a message from the buyer saying the package wasn't delievered. I checked tracking and it said delivered to front door. Then I looked at the buyer and noticed that he has zero feedback and created his account the day he bought the item. Total scam obviously. So what happens next? eBay transferred the money to me last night, fwiw

Typically eBay overprotects the seller, Paypal overprotects the buyer, and it is "supposed" to balance out.

As a buyer, eBay is going down hill in the collectibles market because of how much power sellers have been given. In your case where you are legitimately in the right, I doubt you have a problem.

I feel like back in the old days people used to refuse to sell to Buyers with little or no feedback. I don’t think I see those warnings anymore - does eBay now just force you to sell to whomever?

Because on the one hand I feel like a moron, not noticing I was selling to an account created that day. But maybe there was nothing I could do?

As long as you have a tracking number, eBay will cover you.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago except I even added signature to the delivery. Buyer claimed they never got the item. I contacted PayPal and they told me as long as you sent it with a tracking number you are protected.

I think you may want to contact PayPal vs. eBay to confirm, good luck.

On a side note, just remembered this:

Paypal eventually refunded my buyer their money while I was able to also keep my payment. It may very well be that your buyer will
A) get the item
B) Also get a refund

Go figure....

As long as you have a tracking number, eBay will cover you.

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago except I even added signature to the delivery. Buyer claimed they never got the item. I contacted PayPal and they told me as long as you sent it with a tracking number you are protected.

I think you may want to contact PayPal vs. eBay to confirm, good luck.
It may not be about PayPal anymore. eBay and PayPal divorced. You can still pay with PayPal if you choose to, but you can’t sell with paypal. Your only option as a seller is to directly link a checking account.

I bought a few pairs of OOP, hard to find shoes from a seller with no feedback. Took a gamble. 6 weeks later still no shoes from China. Opened a case asking for proof of shipping or to refund. I was refunded inside of 12 hours by eBay. Turns out I wasn’t the only one and the claim just got rolled in with the others.

They may still protect sellers more than buyers, but it seems like they’ll give weight to their feedback system if there’s a big difference there between the two parties

It may not be about PayPal anymore. eBay and PayPal divorced. You can still pay with PayPal if you choose to, but you can’t sell with paypal. Your only option as a seller is to directly link a checking account.
Hopefully that benefits seller? I haven't sold on eBay since then and I remember the fees (Paypal) being a PITA.

Hopefully that benefits seller? I haven't sold on eBay since then and I remember the fees (Paypal) being a PITA.
When they made the switch away from Paypal, you had to earn their trust all over again. I had hundreds of successful transactions and a 100% feedback, but they still held payment from me for the first new transactions until the buyers recieved the items and were happy with them. Crazy.
Gone are the days of an item selling then immediately seeing the $ in your paypal account. Even when trusted, it's a few days before it hits the bank account.

I just listed a few items on eBay for the first time in years. Sold an item for $90. Printed USPS label through eBay, shipped, delivered yesterday. Today I got a message from the buyer saying the package wasn't delievered. I checked tracking and it said delivered to front door. Then I looked at the buyer and noticed that he has zero feedback and created his account the day he bought the item. Total scam obviously. So what happens next? eBay transferred the money to me last night, fwiw
If you got confirmation and proof that it was delivered, your good.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom