A Classic Question? (1 Viewer)

ChipManiac

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm new to PCF and this is my first post so forgive me if I start off with a dumb question. I am looking into potentially getting my first real set of chips (I have dice chips but even I can't use those anymore) and I believe I have found myself in a place many other first time chip buyers have ended up.

Im stuck between buying Milanos and Majestics, and was wondering if anyone could offer any updated advice. Right now the Milanos seem to be cheaper than the Majestics which could be a factor for me but right now I really just want to know if there is a big difference between the two. Any help would be much appreciated thanks!

Welcome! Also a MA native, where bout you from?

Everyone is going to shove this down your throat. Get samples of the chips you like! This will help you compare chips and make an informed decision. Milanos and Majestics are both China clay chips so the quality is going to be pretty similar. They will come to you dusty, have a minor "odor" which is from the manufacturing process, and the could have a little color variance. In terms of what they cost they are equivalent in quality, but definitely a solid step up from off the shelf dice chips. You can even out custom labels on them and make your own chips based off your poker room theme. I wouldn't say either chips have any big differences. Majestics are probably slightly better quality and have better colors since they are a newer run of chips. If I had to pick between these two options I say Majestic. If you were to ask my advice on a better set that is still budget friendly, I would say to get some nice ceramics from @ABC Gifts and Awards via brpropoker.com. Great quality chips that won't smell and have a better resale market than China clays. Everyone else is going to try and shove Paulsons down your thoat, (for good reason, they are the nuts) but I can understand that they are expensive and not for everyone. Hope this helps, my PM is always open. I have owned all sorts of ceramics and I do currently have a 400 piece set of China clays that I use on occasion.

Welcome!

Everything @sheikh617 said. Also, a cool thing about custom ceramics is you can make them look like ceramics, Bud Jones or other high-end plastics, or even simulate the look of clay chips...sort of. And ABC Gifts/BR Pro make an excellent product, and offer terrific service.

I like Majestics, but I really like the 43mm Royals, also from Apache.

And in case it won't be said by anyone else: get samples. ;)

Welcome to the forum!
Get samples, see them in person, touch them and smell them:)
Among all "China Clays", I would only recommend Majestics and Royals, since they 're made to Apache's standards (a most reputable vendor here).
"Ceramics" are more durable but see if you like their feel.
"Clay" chips are the most expensive ones. Do get some in your hands to see if you feel like descending into the rabbit hole.
Paulsons haven't been offered to the public for years (so, in that case, you would have to wait, be vigilant, pray, get lucky and possibly beg, in the classifieds section here) so the only option for new clay chips right now is Classic Poker Chips (CPC), also a cornerstone vendor here, either custom or off-the-shelf.
Good Luck!

Thanks everyone for all the advice! I'm definitely going to buy some samples and I'll make sure to post my decision, appreciate it all the help!

Welcome to PCF!

I don’t have experience with those two sets, but there are a lot of folks around who do. Am sure someone will chime in with good info.

The search function is also really helpful if answers don’t appear or you prefer not to wait.

Welcome! Also a MA native, where bout you from?

Everyone is going to shove this down your throat. Get samples of the chips you like! This will help you compare chips and make an informed decision. Milanos and Majestics are both China clay chips so the quality is going to be pretty similar. They will come to you dusty, have a minor "odor" which is from the manufacturing process, and the could have a little color variance. In terms of what they cost they are equivalent in quality, but definitely a solid step up from off the shelf dice chips. You can even out custom labels on them and make your own chips based off your poker room theme. I wouldn't say either chips have any big differences. Majestics are probably slightly better quality and have better colors since they are a newer run of chips. If I had to pick between these two options I say Majestic. If you were to ask my advice on a better set that is still budget friendly, I would say to get some nice ceramics from @ABC Gifts and Awards via brpropoker.com. Great quality chips that won't smell and have a better resale market than China clays. Everyone else is going to try and shove Paulsons down your thoat, (for good reason, they are the nuts) but I can understand that they are expensive and not for everyone. Hope this helps, my PM is always open. I have owned all sorts of ceramics and I do currently have a 400 piece set of China clays that I use on occasion.
+1 from another Bostonian. I’d also look at Apache’s new Royales offerings. Little bit more expensive but they’re also slightly larger (43mm in diameter instead of 39mm) which to me and most others makes them handle more like Paulson chips than milanos or majestics. Note I said handle more like Paulsons and not “handle like Paulsons” - there’s no substitute for the real thing!

I was in your shoes. I managed to get samples from within Europe of a bunch of different slugged plastics, ceramics and CCs, and like the look and feel of the Milanos the best. I am still happy with my choice, but you really need to handle a bunch of different types before buying.

The Royals weren't available back then, had I bought now I would probably have gone with them. Instead I've bought a bunch to serve as high denoms, seating and bounty chips.

I chose the Majestics as my first set and have over 2000 in a cash set + a 10k tournament set. I have had zero issues and been happy with them. They are a great upgrade from dice chips at a reasonable price.

Skip both and save your money. Mayby Big Easy Bud Jones? They still on sale. Cash or tournament?

Welcome to the forum. I'm only a three month forum member, but up to speed quickly with many sample sets and three complete sets (Dunes CC & two Paulsons).

Samples are the first order of business since people have varying tastes. That being said, a quick move from dice chips to CCs or ceramics is easy, inexpensive and very satisfying. I know that first hand. For as little as 25 cents per chip (used Milanos) it's really a bit of a no-brainer, as they can be resold at cost. $100 assuming a 400 chip cash set. My poker group loves the Dunes CCs.

An entry-level cost-wise Paulson set will run $1 per chip average or $400 for a similar cash set. Worth it, I now believe. However, finding or building a set in that price range will likely take considerable effort and time. It will also likely involve relabeling chips as fracs or fractional dollar chips (.25 or .50) are not common or inexpensive.

I would only caution about custom CCs or ceramic as they quickly escalate in cost and could easily exceed the cost of a Paulson set. I suppose caution is also recommend when viewing ads for $10,000 Paulson sets. They exist.

Enjoy the journey.

Welcome to the forum. I'm only a three month forum member, but up to speed quickly with many sample sets and three complete sets (Dunes CC & two Paulsons).

Samples are the first order of business since people have varying tastes. That being said, a quick move from dice chips to CCs or ceramics is easy, inexpensive and very satisfying. I know that first hand. For as little as 25 cents per chip (used Milanos) it's really a bit of a no-brainer, as they can be resold at cost. $100 assuming a 400 chip cash set. My poker group loves the Dunes CCs.

An entry-level cost-wise Paulson set will run $1 per chip average or $400 for a similar cash set. Worth it, I now believe. However, finding or building a set in that price range will likely take considerable effort and time. It will also likely involve relabeling chips as fracs or fractional dollar chips (.25 or .50) are not common or inexpensive.

I would only caution about custom CCs or ceramic as they quickly escalate in cost and could easily exceed the cost of a Paulson set. I suppose caution is also recommend when viewing ads for $10,000 Paulson sets. They exist.

Enjoy the journey.

Thanks man! Great advice! What are your best sources for used Milanos/Paulsons?

Sorry for hijacking the comments here @ChipManiac, but you asked a question I was too shy to ask :D

Skip both and save your money. Mayby Big Easy Bud Jones? They still on sale. Cash or tournament?

They are still on sale, and it's not just because I'm selling them :tup: but we're down to Cash sets only. Tournament sets are sold out. IMHO these are miles better than China Clays, and still a fraction of the cost of most Paulsons.

Bought some a few months ago and I really like them. Welcome from another new guy
8F4FA536-6B46-46D8-80F5-CCE2B7A7F07E.jpeg
8F4FA536-6B46-46D8-80F5-CCE2B7A7F07E.jpeg

Take Forty4 up on his offer. Seriously. It's basically free to look at samples from a bunch of different manufacturers. Smartest thing I've done.

If you are looking at CC, I love the Royals. I think they are the best CC IMO.

Best advice: Wait and don't pull the trigger too quickly. You think you have it figured out and then you get a Paulson sample, and then you realize you are now going to have to get more chips...

i am also curious (roughly) where in MA you are?

that said, i've owned milanos and majestics. they're both...fine. the smell is a real thing, and the edges aren't sharp. it all depends how much you personally care (nearly all of my players could not care less).

Last edited:
I own majestics, a friend who hosts often has milanos. They both smell. I think milanos are more smelly but they both smell. It’s kind of a cross between crayons and body odor. Your nose will get used to the smell pretty quickly but they do stink. Not sure if the royals have the same smell or not. Best China clays you can get for me are the 8v from @ABC Gifts and Awards. Not sure if there are any left but love them. Handle great, no smell that I can tell.

I own majestics, a friend who hosts often has milanos. They both smell. I think milanos are more smelly but they both smell. It’s kind of a cross between crayons and body odor. Your nose will get used to the smell pretty quickly but they do stink. Not sure if the royals have the same smell or not. Best China clays you can get for me are the 8v from @ABC Gifts and Awards. Not sure if there are any left but love them. Handle great, no smell that I can tell.

Does this pass over time? Is a good wash an option?

I’ve soaked them in vinegar and water and it helped some but it comes back. The green majestics are the worst color. Not sure why.

I’ve soaked them in vinegar and water and it helped some but it comes back. The green majestics are the worst color. Not sure why.

Thanks for the tip. I've got a sample set of both coming in, so I'm a bit disappointed to hear this :(

All this being said, I still use the majestics as my travel set and no one has ever commented on them smelling. They are a nice step up from dice chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom