400 Chip Break-down (1 Viewer)

z00der

Reaction score
What's up folks, I'm new to the poker chip forum but had a question and figured there will be someone here with some good advice.

I'm planning on buying some semi-custom poker chips soon and wanna make sure I am getting the right break down, with the pricing on the chips I want, I'm looking to buy around 400 chips, and want to get 5 colors (they wont have denoms printed on them so we can change based on the stakes) or 4 colors if that works better. Anyone have a recommended way to break down 300-400 chips into 5 or 4 colors? how many of each? (usually running home games 6-9 handed)

first of all, welcome!

second, nobody can answer without knowing what stakes do you play? cash/tournament?

nobody can answer without knowing what stakes do you normally play? cash/tournament?
Cash games, stakes of 10/20 cents blinds ($20 buy-in) to like 0.5/1 dollar blinds ($100 buy-in), large variation based on who is playing.

Gotten two responses asking for my stakes, sorry about leaving that out: Cash games, blinds of 10/20 cents ($20 buy-in) to like 0.5/1 dollar blinds ($100 buy-in), large variation based on who is playing. Very casual

What stakes will you play right now?
Cash games, blinds of 10/20 cents ($20 buy-in) to like 0.5/1 dollar blinds ($100 buy-in), large variation based on who is playing. Very casual

Tough to say without knowing games, stakes, and number of players.
400 chips is probably not enough for a full 9 seat table, though it probably can be done.
Most people come in here asking questions about no limit Holdem - so a big bet cash game. But for all we know, you could be playing tournaments, limit mixed games, short-handed - who knows?

Welcome!

Once we know what kind of game you play, we can help alot better. There are a few really cool spreadsheets and tools on here for figuring out how many chips you need. I'll try and link a couple and/or copy and paste them.

Another thing to add, I bought 850 semi custom ceramics without denoms for my first set, and I'm not gonna lie, I wish I had done more research on what I needed/wanted and got denoms on my chips.

Everyone has a preference though, but figured I'd give my 2 cents on that.

Gotten two responses asking for my stakes, sorry about leaving that out: Cash games, blinds of 10/20 cents ($20 buy-in) to like 0.5/1 dollar blinds ($100 buy-in), large variation based on who is playing. Very casual

Cash games, blinds of 10/20 cents ($20 buy-in) to like 0.5/1 dollar blinds ($100 buy-in), large variation based on who is playing. Very casual

*edit* nevermind, i missed the part about using non-denom

Last edited:
Something like
undenominated is probably a good breakdown to cover a range of stakes for a big bet game with an uncertain number of players?
Normally we’d say not to waste chips on a 5th color, if your limited with quantity of chips. But 400 is SO limited that you’ll need some big chips just to insure a big enough bank (at the expense of blind chips and workhorse chips.)

400 is tight for one cash set to cover 0.10/0.20 to 0.5/1 for 9 people. You will probably need 5 denoms: 0.10, 0.50, 1, 5, 25. The good news is you probably don't need a ton of 0.50. Maybe try
100x 0.10
60x 0.50
100x 1
100x 5
40x 25
Bank $1640, which may or may not cover your biggest game

More reasonable might be a 500-600 chip set, which will let you get some more workhorse $1 and $5.

Budget?

Since you using non demo, it didn't matter if you are playing 0.1/0.2 or 0.5/1 stake

For 400 chip breakdown, assuming it for 8-10 person max game

80 this will be your 0.1 or 0.5 depending on your stake this will be your "blind chip"
200 this will be 0.5 or 1 depending on your stake this will be your "workhorse chip"
100 this will be 2 or 5 depending on your stake this will be secondary chip and rebuy in chip
20 this will be 10 or 50 this will be your re buy in chip this way you will have at least 10 re buy in chip

5 colors is nor recommended for 400 chips breakdown

Last edited:
Why does it have to be 400? Do you only have storage for 400?
it doesn't have to be 400, just for the chips I was looking at (dia de los muertos semi-custom chips from brpropoker.com, I'm a huge fan of them) my budget probably maxes out at 400 chips, but I might end up going for 500, we shall see

Since you using non demo, it didn't matter if you are playing 0.1/0.2 or 0.5/1 stake

For 400 chip breakdown, assuming it for 8-10 person max game

80 this will be your 0.1 or 0.5 depending on your stake this will be your "blind chip"
200 this will be 0.5 or 1 depending on your stake this will be your "workhorse chip"
100 this will be 2 or 5 depending on your stake this will be secondary chip and rebuy in chip
20 this will be 10 or 50 this will be your re buy in chip this way you will have at least 10 re buy in chip

5 colors is nor recommended for 400 chips breakdown
thank you! this is a very helpful response, exactly the insight I was looking for

When you get to 500 chips at BRPro, the price drops a little per chip...to the difference between 400 and 500 semi custom DDLMs is only $54.
Or, go for the 600 bundle and get a birdcage and a dealer button!

We here at PCF enjoy spending other people’s money. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

it doesn't have to be 400, just for the chips I was looking at (dia de los muertos semi-custom chips from brpropoker.com, I'm a huge fan of them) my budget probably maxes out at 400 chips, but I might end up going for 500, we shall see

thank you! this is a very helpful response, exactly the insight I was looking for
Glad that it helpful if you going for 500 chip set instead you can get 100/200/160/40 breakdown this way your bankroll is much more healthy with around 15 more buy in. Or 100/200/200/80/20 if you going for 600 chip set :ROFL: :ROFLMAO::ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom