Cash Game .25 Chips/How Many (1 Viewer)

For a 10 player table I go with 80 or 120 quarters. Can't give someone 10 quarters (2.50) unless you also have .50s in play.

Well this is my breakdown of PNY chips :)

200-.25
300-$1
585-$5
550-25
120-100
And soon 50-$500

I have a range of buy ins to be honest.

thats a great breakdown for 20 players. I think you have 10 covered.

I like 120 x .25 so I can have 12 x .25, 17 x 1. and 16 x 5 as my starting stacks.

starting stack pron.
20171010_101249.jpg

I originally thought I needed more quarters, and got talked out of it. Was trying to raise the action level of my game a little bit - had some "legacy" players from an old microstakes game as a part of the new core.

Gave everyone 8 quarters to start with. 50/75 cent bets were instantly gone.

This. Best advice. After an orbit or so, the fracs are randomly distributed anyway.

100 is all you need. More just get in the way.

And here I stood, believing rule #1 of this forum was "You can never have enough chips".
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Dunno, I'd prefer to have them ready to use even if they don't actually get used. I grabbed 320 for my 20 player Club Hel set but would have gone with flat 200 if I only had planned it for a single table. Only didn't go all the way up to 400 because together with all the rest of the chips, I would have created another non-full rack.

And here I stood, believing rule #1 of this forum was "You can never have enough chips".
:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Lol, yes, but in the case of how many fracs to have for a single table for .25/.50, the answer is 100 (per table).

I think the rule is you can never have enough $5s :)
Lol. Yes. No matter how many $5s you have, you will someday wish you had more. I have almost 1,900 in my Riverside set and now my OCD wants me to have an even 2,000. Hey, you never know.

I have 120 quarters in my Vegas set (plus a couple extra). For ones, I have 350 which I think is a little overkill. I think 300 plus a few extras is enough. Less 1's means I have more room for more 5's and 20's (y) :thumbsup:

Since we're drifting that way...best 800 chip breakdown for a single table:

100 x .25c
200 x $1
400 x $5
80 x $25 (or $20)
20 x $100

It's hard to say "best" without knowing the game. I had to go with an even split of 1s and 5s given the level of action I generally see - run a .50/1 game where the average pre-flop raise is like $3, but people will toss in 5 and 10 bets on occasion.

This is what I plan on doing. Tell me if I am wrong. Let’s say someone wants to buy in for $300. We don’t mind big buyins. If someone wants to put their money on the table then so be it:) I would give a $300 buy in, 56 $5 chips and 20-$1 chips. Check my math ;) that’s preferably for a 1/2 game, but I would add quarters someone for a lower stakes game.

It's hard to say "best" without knowing the game. I had to go with an even split of 1s and 5s given the level of action I generally see - run a .50/1 game where the average pre-flop raise is like $3, but people will toss in 5 and 10 bets on occasion.
I stand by my assertion. Even in your scenario. Maybe especially in your scenario. But I have been known to be wrong on occasion.

But this is not one of them.

I find that 12 per player is great with 10 players (120 chips total), but with six player, 16 per player plays better.

So 10 players, buy-ins of 12/17/## ($5s to make whatever they want to buy in for.)
If only expecting six, buy-ins of 16/16/##.

But it's easiest to just give the first players to arrive stacks of 20... so buy-in is often 20/20/## until there are 100 chips on the table... and then I don't add more until we break eight players.
Ok good! I just don’t want players using $1 chips to make their .50 BB and then always taking change from the pot. That gets annoying :)

That's always going to happen. You can put 400 quarters on the table, and that will still happen, just 30 minutes later; someone will be losing, and someone else will be winning, so someone will have no quarters, and someone is stuck with 200 quarters in front of them.

Making change out of the pot is the way to go, but people need to do it right... which means putting up the dollar, saying "big blind" or "fifty cents," and then waiting until the pot is right before taking change. Always wait - never grab from the pot early, and worst of all, never grab someone else's 50c bet as change before the pot is right. Never, ever, ever.

Last edited:
I find that 12 per player is great with 10 players (120 chips total), but with six player, 16 per player plays better.

So 10 players, buy-ins of 12/17/## ($5s to make whatever they want to buy in for.)
If only expecting six, buy-ins of 16/16/##.

But it's easiest to just give the first players to arrive stacks of 20... so buy-in is often 20/20/## until there are 100 chips on the table... and then I don't add more until we break eight players.

That's always going to happen. You can put 400 quarters on the table, and that will still happen, just 30 minutes later; someone will be losing, and someone else will be winning, so someone will have no quarters, and someone is stuck with 200 quarters in front of them.

Making change out of the pot is the way to go, but people need to do it right... which means putting up the dollar, saying "big blind" or "fifty cents," and then waiting until the pot is right before taking change. Always wait - never grab from the pot early, and worst of all, never grab someone else's 50c bet as change before the pot is right. Never, ever, ever.

Thank you Mental Nomad. Good advice there, and you are right. That is just part of Poker making change. Its about the etiquette on how its done that matters:)

I stand by my assertion. Even in your scenario. Maybe especially in your scenario. But I have been known to be wrong on occasion. But this is not one of them.

I agree with this, even given the pace of a game or how the players are playing your set should be able to accommodate the times players may play larger sums and/or play more safe. Always better to have too much than too little. When you have too little people want cash to play. Cash should never play. You lose control of the game that way.

If you spend some time surfing these forums you'll see the #quarterwars debates (I mean discussions).
Early on, I was firmly in the 200 camp, but I have since been converted to the belief that 100 is plenty.
LOL #quarterwars. fairly accurate description.

When I hosted $0.25/$0.50 blinds games, I had 200 quarters and it was way too many for just one table. But every once in a while there were enough players for 2 tables so the 200 quarters came in handy then. I used a 12-12 or 16-16 breakdown for $0.25-$1 chips, then filled in the rest of the buy-ins with $5 chips. Rebuys were only with $5, $20 (or $25).

I’ve just started hosting a 0.25/0.50 game. I have 200 quarters for a 10 player table. So far pros are easy to distribute initial buy ins with 1 barrel per person. Makes some players feel good to have a army of chips. Con is it slows the game down when people shove. (In addition to having ppl who are bad at counting chips (n) :thumbsdown:)

Reactions: Nex
So, for the start, 5-6, max 7 players. ,25/,50 is this ok?

0,25 x125
1 x100
5 x75

or maybe
1 x125
5 x50
?

For ,50/1 like this:

0,25 x125
1 x175
5 x150
25 x50

So, for the start, 5-6, max 7 players. ,25/,50 is this ok?

0,25 x125
1 x100
5 x75

or maybe
1 x125
5 x50
?

For ,50/1 like this:

0,25 x125
1 x175
5 x150
25 x50

You likely want 200 ones. If your game plays small, you could get away with:

0.25 x 100
1 x 200
5 x 100

With that bank, 0.25/0.25 blinds probably makes more sense. Add another rack of 5’s as money allows.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom