12’ x 12’ - is it enough!? (1 Viewer)

RobbieMac87

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Ah, the age old question all of us men ask - “is it big enough?”

In this case, I’m referring to a poker room. My beautiful wife and I are building a house. In the basement, we have a 12’ x 12’ space that is in an odd spot. It’s not really usable for much. However, I’m trying to decide if it’s enough for a poker room.

I currently have a full size BBO Poker table. I know that will be too large for the space, so I’d sell that or keep it in storage for the odd day when I’d have a large home game. I’m thinking maybe a 60” round table for the room. It’s rare that my home games need to accommodate more than 6 people, so a 60” round poker table should be more than big enough for 6 players (right??). However, is the room big enough?

60” table = 5’ across. 36” around the perimeter for chairs, movement, etc. is 11’ total. So I’d have an extra 6” on either side for a total of 42” around the perimeter of the table.

I’d put some TV’s up on the walls and probably just do wainscoting or something around the room.

Do you guys and girls think it will be too cramped? The room is accessed via one corner essentially not existing. So, if I can explain this correctly, imagine a square. From the middle of the bottom segment to the middle of the left segment, there won’t be a wall. There will be a pillar where the bottom left corner would be.

Ah! I’ve attached a photo. Hope this helps for visualization.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 40654B2E-4C75-4996-ACFD-E057542D3A0D.jpeg
    40654B2E-4C75-4996-ACFD-E057542D3A0D.jpeg
    211.1 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Gym has to stay. I’m already out of shape enough thanks to two kids. Where we are moving, there aren’t any good gym options. I could feasibly make the gym smaller, though.

@CraigT78 built 54” round tables that we used for DiD and I thought they were the perfect size for a self dealt game. They sat 8 fine and were perfect for 6-7 players. 60” is just a little too big where the center of the table can’t be reached without standing up and really having to reach.

@CraigT78 built 54” round tables that we used for DiD and I thought they were the perfect size for a self dealt game. They sat 8 fine and were perfect for 6-7 players. 60” is just a little too big where the center of the table can’t be reached without standing up and really having to reach.
That’s great info, thank you. Smaller table would make this scenario even easier.

I realize this is late for you, but posting for posterity...

The area on the right with the green/brown table is about 11'x 12'. I'd suggest that's the actual bare minimum but you'd ideally want more.

Everyone can get in/out/move around with minimal/no fuss.
View attachment 215171

From another thread discussing room size. The layout of your room is not ideal for an oval, but I think for that room you can do a round no problem. It will be tight, but doable.

From another thread discussing room size. The layout of your room is not ideal for an oval, but I think for that room you can do a round no problem. It will be tight, but doable.
It’s great to be able to see it. I’ve been considering using two existing walls, and then using cardboard boxes to simulate the new room. Then putting a basic 60” table with chairs in just to see how it actually feels. Looking at your picture gives me more confidence that it would work.

I think you're good with the round or an octagon. You could even go with a shorter oval designed for 8. Just don't go trying to put some 9 foot, 10 player oval in that room and you'll be fine.

56" - don't short me the 2". My wife says that matters.

I’m pretty handy, so I’m considering building the table myself. What did you use for the table top? Did you biscuit join two pieces of plywood to get to the 56” diameter?
No, I used 5x5 sheets of plywood that I picked up at a specialty store. I do not have the skills for biscuits.

Awesome, thank you! I’ll have to look around for a specialty lumber shop. With the price of lumber, I can only imagine what specialty sizes are going to cost me. I much prefer that option to biscuit joining, though.
I paid $50 a sheet delivered back in May.

I think not having that corner will help a lot in not making it feel too cramped. I would go a little bigger if you ever have 8 players. My 58" is perfect for 7 players and very playable with 8 players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom