Tourney 100 Player Tournament (Please Critique) (1 Viewer)

EricMichael

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I work for a Sheriff's Office in New York and proposed a 100 player Charity Poker Tournament as a fundraiser for one of my co-workers who was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago. Our tournament is scheduled to go on September 17th. I might have bit off a little more than I can chew, but I'm too far in to turn back now. My Union popped for all the necessities - Chips for 110 players, cards, etc.

I have already secured several donations in the way of cash (checks) that will go directly to my partner as he is being transferred to Boston for 8 weeks of chemo. The money we raise will help my partner and his family offset costs associated with hotels and other ancillary expenses while he is receiving his treatments. I'm also securing several donations from local businesses in the way of movie tickets, dining experiences, comedy shows, window tint packages, sports team ticket packages, amongst other things. These donations will be distributed a few ways. A few door prizes, giveaways for high hand and raffle prizes.

I have a local bagel company providing bagels and cream cheese for 130 people, a local donut shop providing donuts and hopefully will lock up Dunkin this week to provide coffee. We have a local Hooters I'm talking with and think they are going to donate several trays of boneless wings, a local pizza shop is donating 20 pies and potentially a few other packages.

I have several officers helping me with registration, seating, coloring up chips and other responsibilities as I oversee the whole circus. Our local Celtic Hall is giving us use of their space and we will also have room for cash games in a separate room as players bust out.

The buy-in is as follows:

$175 total
$100 to the prize pool
$25 bounty chip
$50 donation - goes directly to the officer with cancer

I have my blind structure and levels set with breaks and coloring up points. I'm anticipating the tournament will go no longer than 6 hours but as it is my first big tournament, I'm unsure. The only thing I'm lacking is a Tournament Program to run the blind levels; which I am looking for suggestions.

Anyway, fire away with your suggestions, comments, or concerns,
Cheers!

The only thing I'm lacking is a Tournament Program to run the blind levels; which I am looking for suggestions

Google "Tournament Director". It is what most of us use. The basics to get up and running are pretty simple, but if you put in the time and effort learning the software you can really do a lot with it.

Google "Tournament Director". It is what most of us use. The basics to get up and running are pretty simple, but if you put in the time and effort learning the software you can really do a lot with it.
Is TD compatible with Apple or will I need another computer?

Tournament director is great. For just showing levels and timing there are a plethora of apps out there and most work just fine.

Do you have some experience running a tournament of this size, I.e breaking tables, balancing, seat draws for final table, etc, if not be prepared for those scenarios.

Also you’re welcome to post your stack and level structure for critiques

Good luck and hope your colleague pulls through, cancer sucks

I work for a Sheriff's Office in New York and proposed a 100 player Charity Poker Tournament as a fundraiser for one of my co-workers who was diagnosed with cancer a few months ago. Our tournament is scheduled to go on September 17th. I might have bit off a little more than I can chew, but I'm too far in to turn back now. My Union popped for all the necessities - Chips for 110 players, cards, etc.

I have already secured several donations in the way of cash (checks) that will go directly to my partner as he is being transferred to Boston for 8 weeks of chemo. The money we raise will help my partner and his family offset costs associated with hotels and other ancillary expenses while he is receiving his treatments. I'm also securing several donations from local businesses in the way of movie tickets, dining experiences, comedy shows, window tint packages, sports team ticket packages, amongst other things. These donations will be distributed a few ways. A few door prizes, giveaways for high hand and raffle prizes.

I have a local bagel company providing bagels and cream cheese for 130 people, a local donut shop providing donuts and hopefully will lock up Dunkin this week to provide coffee. We have a local Hooters I'm talking with and think they are going to donate several trays of boneless wings, a local pizza shop is donating 20 pies and potentially a few other packages.

I have several officers helping me with registration, seating, coloring up chips and other responsibilities as I oversee the whole circus. Our local Celtic Hall is giving us use of their space and we will also have room for cash games in a separate room as players bust out.

The buy-in is as follows:

$175 total
$100 to the prize pool
$25 bounty chip
$50 donation - goes directly to the officer with cancer

I have my blind structure and levels set with breaks and coloring up points. I'm anticipating the tournament will go no longer than 6 hours but as it is my first big tournament, I'm unsure. The only thing I'm lacking is a Tournament Program to run the blind levels; which I am looking for suggestions.

Anyway, fire away with your suggestions, comments, or concerns,
Cheers!
For a tourney of that size is would highly advise you to find a seasoned tourney director and some expierenced dealers
Good luck with the fundraiser and…

FUCK CANCER

Tournament director is great. For just showing levels and timing there are a plethora of apps out there and most work just fine.

Do you have some experience running a tournament of this size, I.e breaking tables, balancing, seat draws for final table, etc, if not be prepared for those scenarios.

Also you’re welcome to post your stack and level structure for critiques

Good luck and hope your colleague pulls through, cancer sucks

I've been involved in several larger tournaments in my area 80+ players usually and while I have assisted, I've never run one myself. I have a good idea of breaking/balancing tables and will be focusing my attention to that. I'm adding my structure and payouts as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220718-102031_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220718-102031_Samsung Notes.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20220718-102906_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20220718-102906_Samsung Notes.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 98
Good structure! Except for maybe that 20 min lunch which seems ambitious.

Also- do you have seat cards?

Last edited:
Yes, I have seat cards for 10 tables. And yeah, the 20 minute break is probably very ambitious, but if I put 30 minute they will push it to 40. So by limiting it to 20 they take 30 and I'm happy.

According to their FAQ, it is not:
1661042324008.png

BUT, if you end up deciding to use it, I will loan and send you a laptop you can use to run the software. I'll even install it and set up the blind structure for you if you want. (Looks like we're inside the 30-day trial period, but I'm pretty sure I have a license floating around somewhere. Maybe not, though. They changed the licensing format a long time ago, and I'm not sure which one I bought.)

**Note - Does the venue you're using have the ability to display from a laptop? If so, what connections are available? HDMI would be easiest, but I have plenty of adapters and different equipment I can send along. But we should be sure of this ahead of time.

Good on you for running the fundraiser. Cancer sucks.

No it is not. If there is no equivalent for Crapple (sorry but I hate Apple) you can run TD on an extremely low powered unit. I used to run it on one of those stupid windows 2 in 1s that they used to sell at Rite Aide. If you have a buddy with an old outdated no longer used laptop, that will work. Also, if you tell us what kind of facility you are doing this in we can help you figure out the best way to hook up to it. Twice a year I run a tournament in a VFW Post in their bingo hall and I figured out how to take over all the bingo screens to show the Tournament

I would also recommend having official breaks with all your color ups. It gives smokers a chance to go outside and drinkers a chance to hit the can.

An idea for giving away some of your prizes could be mystery bounties. You find a volunteer willing to give a prize away. When someone knocks them out of the tournament they give the prize to the person who knocked them out

Plenty of officers will be on hand to raid it.

(But good on you for taking this on. Hope your event goes well.)
This actually does bring up a good point. I'm not sure charity poker is legal in NY. There is a potential this could be a liability for the department or county.

An idea for giving away some of your prizes could be mystery bounties. You find a volunteer willing to give a prize away. When someone knocks them out of the tournament they give the prize to the person who knocked them out
That's a decent idea. I'll have to play with it a little.

Nice thread crap.
I think I can live with myself.

Most presidents admit to using weed yet do nothing about the laws that put people in prison for the same thing.

Cops have put people in jail for operating games in New York.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom