What video games are you playing? (4 Viewers)

Found myself delving back into Fallout 4, Skyrim and Mass Effect Legendary after buying my kids an Xbox Series X. I can't believe how much better the games run and look. It's unreal.
Speaking of games looking better, I've been doing my 2nd playthrough of Breath of the Wild in 4k/60fps on emulator on my PC. It's sweet!

For anyone who likes Breath of the Wild gameplay and Greek mythology, I'd recommend giving Immortals Fenyx Rising a try. Dumb name, but a really fun game. Although I would recommend reading up on which are the best skills you should choose first.

I tend to go back and play GTAV on and off again on PC. I got Metroid: Dread for Christmas and have been itching to find time to play it.

I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption 2, and wondering if and when RockStar is ever gonna put out GTA 6. Sounds like the can is getting kicked further and further down the road. 10+ years between installments is pretty unbelievable.

I also just bought a Nintendo 64 and am currently playing Super Mario 64 for probably the 1,000th time in my life, but it's been over a decade since #999. What an unbelievable game. Just ordered copies of Mario Kart 64 and StarFox 64 as well, which are two of my other all time favorites on the N64.

We bought a Switch for the kids and they love it. 4 player Mario Cart has been going like crazy. I also bought Breath of Wind and the few minutes of play time I’ve seen so far looks like a lot of fun. Definitely looking forward to trying it out myself.

I picked up Divinity Original Sin 2 on Steam sale for $17.99

I have to give a warning: You will want to play it on the easiest setting (story mode) or 2nd easiest (explorer mode) to start. In the beginning you are fairly brittle and decent gear is hard to come by. You'll find most encounters to be difficult, with enemies getting the drop on you where your party is all clumped up while they're spread out, allowing them to rain down effects on your entire party with better initiative. At least until you've gotten a handle on the game (you can adjust difficulty up to Classic mode on the fly)

BUT, if you do a LOT of research you'll figure out how to properly spec your characters and will be able to dish out the damage and enjoy the tactical combat. The game is not perfect, but it does a LOT right and is like a D&D sandbox (the studio behind this game is the one making Baldurs Gate 3) with various synergies (i.e. someone casts a water based spell and then follow up with air based to electrify the now wet enemies, or earth based to put oil on the ground and then pyro based to set it and any enemies standing there alight)

I'm only in the 2nd Act (there are 5) and there's supposed to be about 100 hours of gameplay here. I wound up getting a mod that allows you to have a party of 6 instead of just 4 (thus allowing me to bring along ALL the customized companions in the game that have their own origin stories and sidequests)

The voiced dialogue (especially the narrator) is phenomenal, and you really feel like you have a solid DM guiding you through various storylines. There's plenty of humor to be had as well, and I highly recommend you pickup the "Pet Pal" skill, which allows you to speak with animals you encounter in the game.

View attachment 836518

Phenomenal game. Lone wolf tactician is my favorite mode, although I do use one companion

I'm replaying Red Dead Redemption 2, and wondering if and when RockStar is ever gonna put out GTA 6. Sounds like the can is getting kicked further and further down the road. 10+ years between installments is pretty unbelievable.

I also just bought a Nintendo 64 and am currently playing Super Mario 64 for probably the 1,000th time in my life, but it's been over a decade since #999. What an unbelievable game. Just ordered copies of Mario Kart 64 and StarFox 64 as well, which are two of my other all time favorites on the N64.
We used to play a ton of WCW/NWO Revenge and WWF No Mercy. I also had Wailea Golf which was a lot of fun.

Phenomenal game. Lone wolf tactician is my favorite mode, although I do use one companion

I find a lot of the combat encounters yo be a bit....unfair. often having enemies spread out with the high ground edge and your party surrounded and dangerously close to combustibles

I find a lot of the combat encounters yo be a bit....unfair. often having enemies spread out with the high ground edge and your party surrounded and dangerously close to combustibles

The key is using your talents and abilities wisely. Teleportation and movement skills are crucial along with focusing and stun locking the most dangerous enemies early on in any given fight.

AOE skills after teleporting enemies into clusters also works well.

Don't discount high initiative on your main or setting your group smartly around the battlefield before starting a fight. This mostly comes with experience though.

Also, use the environment to your advantage.

The key is using your talents and abilities wisely. Teleportation and movement skills are crucial along with focusing and stun locking the most dangerous enemies early on in any given fight.

AOE skills after teleporting enemies into clusters also works well.

Don't discount high initiative on your main or setting your group smartly around the battlefield before starting a fight. This mostly comes with experience though.

Also, use the environment to your advantage.

The problem is that sometimes enemies just appear, you don't see them until the game spawns the ambush

And not every character in your party can teleport. And sometimes the enemy can teleport you away so you have to slog through traps and burning, poisoned acid surfaces to get to them, etc

It results in having to have foreknowledge of encounters, or to get really wrecked and play it over with a bit of info to approach differently

But replaying encounters I don't find fun, I find it frustrating, you don't feel powerful or effective

Maybe cause I'm only at level 10 and there's still so much left to unlock

For the Xbox players on here, I highly recommend you download Prominence Poker sometime and PM me your gamer tag. Me and some friends play tournaments on it quite frequently and use Venmo/PayPal for payouts. It's a great time!

And not every character in your party can teleport. And sometimes the enemy can teleport you away so you have to slog through traps and burning, poisoned acid surfaces to get to them, etc

This is exactly why you need movement skills. Forget the names of all of them as I haven’t played for a while but there’s:

Nether swap
Bull horns
Tactical retreat
Spread your wings
Cloak and dagger
Bartering Ram
Phoenix Dive.

Think there’s one or two more I’m forgetting too.

Nether Swap and transmute terrain are great for trading places and/or surfaces with your enemies.

It really is a difficult game to learn and is very deep. It does no favors either as it doesn’t do much guiding or hand holding.

It really is meant more for hardcore cRPG gamers I think

I just bought Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC this weekend, it was on sale on the Epic Games store, and they had a $10-off any title holiday coupon.
It ended up being under $20!

@Anthony Martino there’s also skills such as Fortify which keep you from being teleportable

True, but as you said, the game does little to guide you. And who the hell left all these exploding barrels around?

It just seems the designers thought they were overly clever....in every fucking interaction you have

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying it, but more for the interactions than the frustrating combats and puzzles

True, but as you said, the game does little to guide you. And who the hell left all these exploding barrels around?

It just seems the designers thought they were overly clever....in every f*cking interaction you have

Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying it, but more for the interactions than the frustrating combats and puzzles

It’s definitely frustrating at first, especially for me as I started on tactician.

One of the great things about the game is figuring out the puzzles and how to achieve certain goals. There’s always multiple ways, including some outside the box ways, of achieving things.

One of the best things about the game IMO.

It’s definitely frustrating at first, especially for me as I started on tactician.

One of the great things about the game is figuring out the puzzles and how to achieve certain goals. There’s always multiple ways, including some outside the box ways of achieving things.

One of the best things about the game IMO.

I started on Classic and had to dial it back.

Wish you could highlight environmental objects better, some are highlighted with ALT but others aren't, so you have to hunt hoping to find something interactable like a switch or whatever

I've found it's sometimes easier to just go full murder hobo than trying to sneak, for instance, but I never liked sneaking much in games anyway

Positively loving Sir Loras and his undead cat mount Quercas. He was caught checking out another undead cat and was like "I was looking at her bone structure!"

I started on Classic and had to dial it back.

Wish you could highlight environmental objects better, some are highlighted with ALT but others aren't, so you have to hunt hoping to find something interactable like a switch or whatever

I've found it's sometimes easier to just go full murder hobo than trying to sneak, for instance, but I never liked sneaking much in games anyway

Positively loving Sir Loras and his undead cat mount Quercas. He was caught checking out another undead cat and was like "I was looking at her bone structure!"

Sneaking in this game is mostly pointless, there's really only one situation I've used it in.

Full murder hobo is pretty much the way to escape Fort Joy, especially if you ever move to tactician. You'll need every bit of experience you can get on tactician.

You've inspired me to download the game again and start another playthrough. Are you running a mixed, physical, or magical damage party?

Sneaking in this game is mostly pointless, there's really only one situation I've used it in.

Full murder hobo is pretty much the way to escape Fort Joy, especially if you ever move to tactician. You'll need every bit of experience you can get on tactician.

You've inspired me to download the game again and start another playthrough. Are you running a mixed, physical, or magical damage party?

I have a mod so I can have a party of six, experience all of the storylines

I'm playing the Dwarf as a Cleric, mixed with sword n board fighting and water based magic with a bit of necromancy

Fane (the undead Eternal) is a Wizard focused on summoning, then Pyro

The human guy is my Archer with Huntsman skills

The female elf a dual-blade rogue with Scoundrel skills

Lohse is focused on mostly Air magic

And The Red Prince is my front-line tanky sword n board fighter

A few characters have some earth based spells, but no one has gone solidly geo yet

I have a mod so I can have a party of six, experience all of the storylines

I'm playing the Dwarf as a Cleric, mixed with sword n board fighting and water based magic with a bit of necromancy

Fane (the undead Eternal) is a Wizard focused on summoning, then Pyro

The human guy is my Archer with Huntsman skills

The female elf a dual-blade rogue with Scoundrel skills

Lohse is focused on mostly Air magic

And The Red Prince is my front-line tanky sword n board fighter

A few characters have some earth based spells, but no one has gone solidly geo yet

This might be one of the reasons that you're struggling. Running a mixed damage party in this game is tough unless you really know what you're doing.

A full physical or magic damage party are easier to play. It takes much longer to stun lock/put status effects on enemies when you do split damage. The key is to wear down an enemy's physical or magical armor first so you can apply knockdowns or other status effects that cause them to skip a turn. Splitting the type of damage dealt leads to much longer, more frustrating fights and leaves more enemies on the battlefield that can stun lock your own characters.

Also, just because a character is a mage doesn't mean that they cause magical damage. Summoning and Necromancy mostly deal physical damage and polymorph is a bit of a mix IIRC.

This might be one of the reasons that you're struggling. Running a mixed damage party in this game is tough unless you really know what you're doing.

A full physical or magic damage party are easier to play. It takes much longer to stun lock/put status effects on enemies when you do split damage. The key is to wear down an enemy's physical or magical armor first so you can apply knockdowns or other status effects that cause them to skip a turn. Splitting the type of damage dealt leads to much longer, more frustrating fights and leaves more enemies on the battlefield that can stun lock your own characters.

Also, just because a character is a mage doesn't mean that they cause magical damage. Summoning and Necromancy mostly deal physical damage and polymorph is a bit of a mix IIRC.

So I just completed the Driftwood Arena (the one underneath the tavern) and good grief even when you're being rewarded you're being punished. You get a key to the "Vault of the One" to go get your treasure. But there's a locked door down there, and as far as I can tell there's NO fucking way anyone could possibly know they have to cast the Source spell Bless on the first door to get through.

Then the next room is full of petrifying goop being shot out everywhere, and you have to somehow know way up out of your sight there's a valve you need to run or teleport a character to, in order to shut it all down.

But we're not finished with our inane design decisions, now you can walk SUPER SLOWLY through all this oil on the ground to go open the chests.

I mean, what kinda fucking sadists were the designers, does EVERYTHING have to be such a chore? Somehow I'm still enjoying this fucking game despite itself.

So I just completed the Driftwood Arena (the one underneath the tavern) and good grief even when you're being rewarded you're being punished. You get a key to the "Vault of the One" to go get your treasure. But there's a locked door down there, and as far as I can tell there's NO f*cking way anyone could possibly know they have to cast the Source spell Bless on the first door to get through.

Then the next room is full of petrifying goop being shot out everywhere, and you have to somehow know way up out of your sight there's a valve you need to run or teleport a character to, in order to shut it all down.

But we're not finished with our inane design decisions, now you can walk SUPER SLOWLY through all this oil on the ground to go open the chests.

I mean, what kinda f*cking sadists were the designers, does EVERYTHING have to be such a chore? Somehow I'm still enjoying this f*cking game despite itself.

Hahaha at least you’re having fun.

I started a new play though Tuesday night. Running a lone wolf duo (yeah it’s an oxymoron) of Sebille as a frontline Aero/Hydro Battlemage wielding a staff and Ifan as a long distance Pyro/Geo mage with a wand and shield for now
Just finished blessing the pigs in the hollow marshes before stepping out to run a few errands. Gonna tackle the Braccus Rex armory next and hope to be in Act 2 by the end of the night

Last edited:
Persona 5 Strikers
Dirt 5
Deep Rock Galactic

All are free on PS Plus right now.

Only played Strikers so far. It's kinda like Dynasty Warriors if Dynasty Warriors cared about story or being good. Plus it runs mostly in 60fps even on PS4. Def helps a bit to have played Persona 5 from a story POV, or at least know the basics of the story and world.

I just bought Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC this weekend, it was on sale on the Epic Games store, and they had a $10-off any title holiday coupon.
It ended up being under $20!
I am currently replaying this. Love, love love this game. Last of Us 2 is next up in the Q.

Have been playing a ton of FIFA lately. As much as it makes me hate the game I keep coming back to it every year

Have been playing a ton of FIFA lately. As much as it makes me hate the game I keep coming back to it every year
This is the first year I've skipped it since 2014. I have 21 on the PS5, and from what I've read, there's pretty much little to no difference between the two.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom