Comprehensive Poker Chip (Brand) Rank List? (2 Viewers)

jcmalas

Reaction score
Besides my personal introduction, this is my first post. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem redundant, but if it is, apologies in advance.

I'm looking for a comprehensive list of poker chips (by brand not denomination) that are ranked by someone who knows what they're talking about. I was surprised that I could find something like this on a google search (maybe I didn't ask google correctly).

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Can Open Season 2 GIF by Friends

Besides my personal introduction, this is my first post. As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem redundant, but if it is, apologies in advance.

I'm looking for a comprehensive list of poker chips (by brand not denomination) that are ranked by someone who knows what they're talking about. I was surprised that I could find something like this on a google search (maybe I didn't ask google correctly).

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.
We spend every day arguing this, you won't find a ranked list that everyone agrees on, lots of preference and price points come into play. Get some samples then come argue with us.

example:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cpc-atlantic-club-unimpressed.118968/

There are only two companies presently making compressed clay chips: Paulson (owned by Angel Group) and CPC (classic poker chips.) One sells to the public and the other doesn't.
Rumor has it there are other types of poker chips beyond compressed clay, but I try to ignore the rumors.

I'll jump in and start the ruckus...

1. TR King
2. TR King
3. Paulson
4. CPC
5. Chipco
6. BR Pro
7. SunFly
8. Abiatti
9. Bud Jones
10. Matsui
11. Tina
12. Everything else

TR Kings are no longer in production, same for Bud Jones, BCC and a slew of others. Some of these older brands made great chips, but, for a multitude of reasons no longer make chips. Some merged with other companies and then went under, some just retired. Many of the great older companies were small family businesses.

As a mentioned get samples and decide for yourself. TR King are what I consider the GREAT chip, you may not think so. I thought their colors were deeper and richer than others, their true reds and yellows can't be touched, in my opinion. They held up better than most, IMO. They are a rabbit hole amongst rabbit holes around here. There may be more niche rabbit holes, but, you can still amass a nice set of TRK's, but, be prepared to pay dearly. If only I had known back in the CT days!

The above list is by no means an authoritative one, and, or represents the most widely available around here. There are the old Nexgen slugged chips that were a good bargain back in the day. They are experiencing a bit of a comeback in some folks minds. They are some China clays (CC's) that are a good buy for the money, but, like most chips, they have their bad points.

Get samples, do some research here and come to your own conclusions.

Good luck!

Last edited:
a comprehensive list of poker chips (by brand) that are ranked
Such a thing does not exist. Also, define "brand" and define "rank".

Part of the problem is that certain 'brands' as you refer to them may offer (or did offer, if now defunct) more than just a single (and thus a different) product. Another issue is that any specific chip may rate higher/lower in a certain category than another, depending on the ranking criteria used. Also not to be minimized, a lot of the 'ranking categories' are totally subjective and open to preference/opinion, vs being objective as determined by scientific fact.

Your quest for knowledge has just begun, and it cannot be that easily answered.

Sometimes these questions go over our heads. We tend to focus on minutiae and history and the top 5% of chips in the world - that sort of thing.
If you’re looking for a list of brands available for retail purchase today, you won’t find a lot of that sort of discussion here. Because most of the people here are here because they want something better. You might do better with the reviews at Amazon, if you’re interested in cheap chips.

But if you are interested in the good stuff, it really is a quest. There’s no poker chips for dummies book. You’ve stumbled about the best resource for poker chips, all you have to do is read everything that’s posted here every day, search for answers to things you don’t understand, and ask specific questions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom