ANZAC Club de Somme (3 Viewers)

Ummmm, rather embarrassing old boy. I create the inlay in MS Word, then copy and paste into 'Paint' (in the 'Accessories' menu), then save as .PNG. :oops: If I had those other programs, I reckon I could do a lot better.

LMAO! Holy crap Adam you do well! Looking at all of your inlays I assumed you were an Illustrator God! hahaha

I know the 'ring' was well-received, but ... seemed a bit heavy to me once I printed them out.

To add 'something', I have changed the wording to blue for the name and date. Slight name change from 'Somme' to 'France'.

Thoughts?

Preferred. I didn't mention it but I didn't like the black ring for the same reason you mentioned here. The inlay edge creates the ring for you IMO (even on the white chip). I like this design a lot.

Very awesome. Story, Chips, when a chip set can look this cool and have a very cool back story these are the sets that are OVER THE TOP awesome..

Hi @chipjoker , sorry I forgot to respond to such a brilliant post mate - I saw what you did there and it was spot on :). Still working away on these as a project for when the book is finished :). Cheers mate

LMAO! Holy crap Adam you do well! Looking at all of your inlays I assumed you were an Illustrator God! hahaha

Haha, thanks J :)

Preferred. I didn't mention it but I didn't like the black ring for the same reason you mentioned here. The inlay edge creates the ring for you IMO (even on the white chip). I like this design a lot.

Appreciate the feedback. It does look a little too crowded/heavy with so much 'distressed/faded' stuff going on. @Toby was spot on about that :).

Love the design!

It might just be me, but I feel it's a little jarring seeing different dates on the 2 sides of the chip, especially when the design isn't drastically different between the two. I like "1916" as it matched the original theme for the chips... my thoughts are if you're going for the "battle-worn", found in the pocket look, then stay with "1916" -- keep the "1918" for a more "formal" design or commemmorative chip. Or maybe for future expansions (for example -- start with 1916, but additional chips would have 1917 or 1918 as "issue dates" for when they were distributed to the soldiers).

(I hope I'm explaining myself well... it seems so clear in my head.)

Love the design!

It might just be me, but I feel it's a little jarring seeing different dates on the 2 sides of the chip, especially when the design isn't drastically different between the two. I like "1916" as it matched the original theme for the chips... my thoughts are if you're going for the "battle-worn", found in the pocket look, then stay with "1916" -- keep the "1918" for a more "formal" design or commemmorative chip. Or maybe for future expansions (for example -- start with 1916, but additional chips would have 1917 or 1918 as "issue dates" for when they were distributed to the soldiers).

(I hope I'm explaining myself well... it seems so clear in my head.)

Explaining yourself fine mate :)

Original theme is my boys fighting in France from 1916 - 1918. Originally 'Somme', changed to 'France' as they fought all over the place.

I take the point on the two different dates and it may be that they are removed altogether, but was going for the date they started to when they finished.

I also considered the date progression, 1916 (25), 1917 (100), 1918 (500), but ran out of dates for the next chip if I make it a tourney set. If it remains cash, then that would work fine. :)

I also considered making the inlays get gradually more ragged after starting with a 'clean-pressed' inlay for the first side of the first chip, then as the war dragged on, it got more worn on subsequent chips (will look into this more.)

I am also considering adding Battle Honours to the rear of the chip instead of repeating the club name or denom (will look into this more).

Then there are awards/promotions and other insignia.

Many thanks for taking the time to consider my design and provide feedback, as it certainly gets you thinking. Even if one's ideas are not incorporated into a final design, the very process of providing them causes the creative juices to flow :).

Reactions: 72o
Ever looked into a mint medal style inlay?

Alot of people look after the stuff they get from the war very well. Not sure how well depth prints on CPC inlays but it was just an idea I had

Ever looked into a mint medal style inlay?

Alot of people look after the stuff they get from the war very well. Not sure how well depth prints on CPC inlays but it was just an idea I had
Hey Ad, no I hadn't mate, but I kinda like where I am with this at the moment. Cheers for the thought :).

Okay, a new club name to incorporate the new concepts fully - The ANZAC Club.

New Concepts - Battle Honours, progressive years, and Main Battle Areas. Outlined below to explain them, but still willing to make any changes necessary. Welcome advice and input as this will be 'the set'.

TAC v.1.png

The ANZACs were created as a Corps in 1915 and fought their first engagement that year. They then went to France in 1916 and fought there and in Belgium (Flanders) until the Armistice in November 1918.

Main Battle Areas; Gallipoli, Turkey (1915)
The Somme, France (1916)
Flanders, Belgium/France (1917)
The Somme, France (1918)

Each Battle Area had several key battles involving my boys, and I have selected three for the rear of each chip to honour them. For some, it was their last battle.

(25)

25A&B.png

The ANZACs first fought at Gallipoli, after landing there on the morning of 25 April 1915. 'The Landing' was essentially the first 4 days where the boys hung on and fought almost to a standstill. My boy, Frank, fought with little sleep for those first 4 days. He lost a lot of good mates in that time and out of the 1,000 blokes who went ashore, only 400 answered the roll call on 30 April.

The Defence of ANZAC was the holding off the counter-attacks of a brave and determined enemy, which left the ANZACs clinging to a precarious foothold on cliffs and ravines.

Snipers Ridge was a very sad day with Frank losing his four best mates, killed beside him. It was a suicidal broad daylight stunt that saw them under heavy machine-gun fire and shell fire. Frank was hit in the back by shrapnel, which paralysed the right-hand side of his body. Somehow, by sheer guts and determination, he crawled and rolled over 250 yards back to his trench and was sent to hospital. He left hospital in pain after 7 days as he wanted to be back with his mates who needed him.

(100)

100A&B.png

After evacuating ANZAC in December 1915, the Aussies and New Zealanders were sent to the 'Western Front' in France. An insatiable maw that had ground hundreds of thousands of young men into the earth. The greatest battle of 1916 was astride the River Somme. Simply known as The Somme, this battleground was chosen for the breakthrough that had eluded the Allies since war broke out in August 1914. 1 July 1916 was chosen for an advance across a 25 mile front, preceded by a 7-day barrage. The British were cut down and suffered 20,000 dead and 40,000 wounded on the first day. The front line was barely moved.

The Aussies were brought up to the Somme for their 'baptism of fire' at Fromelles on 19 July. They were cut to pieces and suffered 5,000 casualties in a matter of hours. Such was warfare on The Somme.

The village of Pozieres (a name on a map only as it had ceased to exist) sat atop a small ridge that nonetheless commanded a grand view of the Allied lines. The 1st Australian Division was brought up to take it after three failed attempts by exhausted Tommies. On 23 July, my Great-grandfather Ernest went 'Over the Top with fixed bayonets' and the village was captured. He was wounded after being blown up by a shell that tossed him like a rag-doll. He survived, but was sore and sorry for many months.

His brother, my Great-grand Uncle Henry came up next, and was tasked with taking an old farm that had been turned into a veritable fortress to the north of Pozieres - La Ferme du Mouquet (Mouquet Farm). Through August, September and into October, Australians, British and Canadians were thrown at this pile of rubble, suffering enormous casualties. IN just over 6 weeks, the ANZACS had suffered 22,000 casualties. The brave and tough Canadians, finally took the Farm with the ANZACS beside them.

The terrible battle of the Somme was drawing to a close in November 1916, but HQ were not satisfied and ordered one last battle north of a village called Flers. The trench network they had to take was a quagmire of mud and blood, barbed wire and machine-guns - The Maze. Inevitably, our first boy fell during this battle and his body was lost forever. I have had the honour to walk this ground and visit with him. My father is named after him - Hilton.

(500)

500A&B.png

Early 1917 saw further awful battles around The Maze, during which my GG was finally blown to bits and sent home - lucky not to be killed really. Still in France, my uncles and cousins fought in two battles near the village of Bullecourt in April and May. Terrible, costly battles.

Action shifted north to Belgium around Ypres/Flanders in June with the battle of 7 June at Messines. 19 huge mines were detonated prior to the attack and were felt in London. With this battle, we lost Edwin killed and Ernie horribly wounded - a sad day for the family. In October, Edwin's brother Alfred got vengeance during the battle for Broodseinde Ridge.

(2000)

2000A&B.png

1918 started with the German Spring Offensive that saw things looking grim for a few months. on 4 July the battle of Hamel took place, whereby the ANZACs took the town in 90 minutes. Three of the boys were there. Some American soldiers joined our boys for the first time on such an auspicious day.

In August 1918, the Allies began their major offensive through The Somme which heralded the last 100 days to victory. On 25 August we lost poor Alf at Bray-sur-Somme, blown up by a shell. He was lovingly buried by his best mate who wrote his mother and sent home his watch.

These men are the reason I am writing a book. I wanted to design something else to honour them. This will be a tournament set to signify the long game they played, and in some cases, busted out. We had 6 at the final table when the Armistice was signed.

I am in the process of designing seating chips and bounties and will update soon.

We welcome your comments :).

I love it, best inlay design by far. The name sounds less appealing now. I preferred club de Somme, but the theme is so much stronger now.

I am not sure if it is buy design or not but the Anzac logo seems pixilated. Which is weird since it is such a small image. It stands out to me compared to the sharp edges of the rest of the inlay.

I love it, best inlay design by far. The name sounds less appealing now. I preferred club de Somme, but the theme is so much stronger now.

I am not sure if it is buy design or not but the Anzac logo seems pixilated. Which is weird since it is such a small image. It stands out to me compared to the sharp edges of the rest of the inlay.
Thanks Adam. The ANZAC logo is a hand-drawn distressed effort. The crisp clean ones looked too, crisp and clean :).

UPDATE - 10K denom

Their final battleground was Australia - where for the rest of their lives they lived with the horrors of lost mates, cousins and brothers. I thought perhaps charcoal was fitting.

Our three fallen boys are named on the reverse.

10.000A&B.png

TAC v.1.png

I'd make the text arc and denom smaller and enlarge the logo. Still think it's too small and will be hard to read...

I'd make the text arc and denom smaller and enlarge the logo. Still think it's too small and will be hard to read...

Haha, just finished doing just that mate :). Moved the writing down as well, and allowed a larger logo.

Loving the updates and watching this set progress Phantom!

It might just be my eyes but I would test out a couple of different things with the wear effect on the chips.

I think that for the letters/words the wear effect works really well and the chip denominations look good with it also (Although I would be interested to see how the chips look with different wear effects on each of the zeros) but for some reason the years stick out to me like a sore thumb.

Something about the same wear effect on the 1's repeated so close to each other in '1914' or '1918' stands out.

Also the wear effect on the number 9 with the cut off top tilts me, especially when repeated in the 10.000 chip with '1919'

Loving the updates and watching this set progress Phantom!

It might just be my eyes but I would test out a couple of different things with the wear effect on the chips.

I think that for the letters/words the wear effect works really well and the chip denominations look good with it also (Although I would be interested to see how the chips look with different wear effects on each of the zeros) but for some reason the years stick out to me like a sore thumb.

Something about the same wear effect on the 1's repeated so close to each other in '1914' or '1918' stands out.

Also the wear effect on the number 9 with the cut off top tilts me, especially when repeated in the 10.000 chip with '1919'

Thanks mate. The font wear effect is set unfortunately as I also think the 9 looks odd. I can play around with shades and outlines and see what happens. Cheers for the input, much appreciated mate.

Too bad it is a font that you can't change easily. Can you flip a 6 vertically and use it for one of the 9's in 1919?

Haha, nice one mate - won't change all the '9's but did a few and looks good - ta :)

When these get made @72o gets a complementary 'sample' set for being the '1000th' like I have gotten :). Thanks for the interest mate :)

Last edited:
Hi Adam

The following is just an opinion so please treat it as such.

to me the Club de somme really works. i mean everyone knows the battle of the somme.

putting france makes the emphasis on france not anzac.

also i think club de somme rolls off the tongue really well but france doesnt.

but again just an opinion.

Hi Adam

to me the Club de somme really works. i mean everyone knows the battle of the somme.

Set is now called THE ANZAC CLUB

Hi Adam

Set is now called THE ANZAC CLUB

:) beat me to it.

Hi Geoff,

I appreciate that mate and yes, Club de Somme was a lovely phrase, but I needed to incorporate the many battlefields my boys fought on. These included, Turkey, France and Belgium. ANZAC Club de Somme is a good generic ANZAC theme though :) - thanks mate.

Adam

Okay. So, after some very welcome input and fart-arsing around with images, I think I have settled on an inlay design and colours for the chips.

Does anyone else have anything to add/offer? Colours okay? Inlay okay? I will not be offended if anyone suggests something to consider :).

TAC v.1.png

TAC v.1.png

When these get made @72o gets a complementary 'sample' set for being the '1000th' like I have gotten :). Thanks for the interest mate :)
Woohoo!
Thanks man, I appreciate the gesture. That is very kind of you.

How about we do a sample set swap (if you collect samples that is)?

I love the new iteration. Colors are perfect IMHO. If all that detail and small text is confirmed safe for CPC printing then you've got yourself a winner. So much meaning and great execution.

Woohoo!
Thanks man, I appreciate the gesture. That is very kind of you.

How about we do a sample set swap (if you collect samples that is)?

I love the new iteration. Colors are perfect IMHO. If all that detail and small text is confirmed safe for CPC printing then you've got yourself a winner. So much meaning and great execution.

No probs at all :) appreciate the kind words. I don't actually collect samples as such, but thank you for the kind offer. They look great and I am impressed with the work you have put into them :).

I checked in with David at CPC and he is happy with the level of detail and printing requirements, phew :).

I still have to do a dealer button, but no hurry there :).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom