You should use a password manager (2 Viewers)

I believe I run a relatively simple life but it turns out I put about 80 entries in it!

Since posting this, I've taken over my dad's affairs, and using BW to store his stuff too. Now up to 130+ entries. It's definitely been a great tool to centralize and organize this many relationships, not to mention peace of mind.

Quality post! I use LastPass but going to change due to the price hike and breach. Not looking forward to migrating all my pwds.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2022/12/notice-of-recent-security-incident/

In case the messaging has been too soft: You should absolutely NOT be using LastPass under any circumstances. It's a negative freeroll where the cap on damages is whatever an "authorized user" can accomplish with your accounts.

The company is not likely to survive this breach.
It's too bad, they used to be awesome when they were a $12 a year company. Then they turned into a fucking tire fire.

I currently have LastPass, and am finally going to switch to another manager.

Between BitWarden and 1Password, need to decide which. Open to suggestions

Been using Bitwarden for several years, I think it's fantastic, and it's free, and it's open source, and you can host it yourself if you know what you're doing, and... it's not LastPass.

Bitwarden FTW
Moved from 1Password a few years ago and haven’t looked back at all……..
I was a 20 yr user of 1P before the switch too…… their subscription ‘scheme’ was the nail in the coffin for me

Finally completed the move from LastPass to BitWarden. Unfortunately, the export / import process didn't work, so I had to move everything over manually. Love the reports BitWarden gives you on your passwords/emails. Highly recommend!

Keep an eye on performance, as added security sometimes comes at a cost. :)

If you have issues, slowly start dropping that number by~50k until things feel smooth/acceptable again.

Keep an eye on performance, as added security sometimes comes at a cost. :)

If you have issues, slowly start dropping that number by~50k until things feel smooth/acceptable again.
Oh really? Very good to know as well. What is the lowest we should safely go if things that to slow down?

I use lastpass, think it's great. EXCEPT, when I have to type the system-generated crazy passwords into my smart TV to access stuff when it logs me out for some reason. Then, those crazy passwords are a huge pain in the ass.

Otherwise, happy lastpass user.

Been a happy LastPass user for years, but after this last debacle, and especially finding out technical details of all the bad choices (that we know of) they had made to protect our data, I too will be moving to BitWarden soon.

Been a happy LastPass user for years, but after this last debacle, and especially finding out technical details of all the bad choices (that we know of) they had made to protect our data, I too will be moving to BitWarden soon.

Well crap. I just got both of my parents set up using LastPass. It’s tough to train myself to use new things, and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to train them. :(

Sounds like I should probably investigate BW though. Dammit.

Yeah, happened a few months ago and they haven't been transparent about a lot of stuff (in addition to the actual technicalities). Not how things are done and they should have known better.

https://blog.lastpass.com/2022/12/notice-of-recent-security-incident/

In case the messaging has been too soft: You should absolutely NOT be using LastPass under any circumstances. It's a negative freeroll where the cap on damages is whatever an "authorized user" can accomplish with your accounts.

The company is not likely to survive this breach.
If your settings were correct and you had a strong password there’s pretty little chance they will brute force your vault.
I’ve listened to maybe three podcasts on it now and there is no need for panic but it’s not a good look for them

Plus BitWarden just acquired a company so they will likely have passkeys embedded in the future.

I’d pick BW or 1Pass
Have had 1Pass for a while for random storage

1Password fan for years, but slowly migrating to Apple’s Keychain Password functionality.

As for LastPass- get out.

https://techcrunch.com/2022/12/22/lastpass-customer-password-vaults-stolen/

https://techcrunch.com/2023/01/24/goto-customer-backups-stolen-lastpass/
The thing is they already have all the vaults
Leaving won’t change anything or secure your credentials
Some stuff can be seen in the vault In plain text
If you wana secure anything you need to rebuild your vault in BitWarden for example with new master PW and change all stored credentials if you are worried

If you wana secure anything you need to rebuild your vault in BitWarden for example with new master PW and change all stored credentials if you are worried

I recently moved from lastpass to bitwarden. After initially moving all my passwords over, I created a new folder called "Updated 2023", and started changing all my passwords. When I updated a password, I moved that one to the Updated folder. I'm slowly working my way through all my passwords, doing a few a day. Once I'm done, I'll reorganize everything into proper folders

Yep. Exactly.

I recently moved from lastpass to bitwarden. After initially moving all my passwords over, I created a new folder called "Updated 2023", and started changing all my passwords. When I updated a password, I moved that one to the Updated folder. I'm slowly working my way through all my passwords, doing a few a day. Once I'm done, I'll reorganize everything into proper folders
That’s cool with the folders I haven’t played with BW yet but that’s a great method to go reset them

What if your password manager software is compromised ?
Like LastPass? You move and start over. But by and large, especially if you store them locally, it shouldn’t happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom