Yikes! What am doing? (1 Viewer)

Take your time if possible, try and get samples to test out and compare different types of chips/manufacturers, browse and use the search function for a while, ask questions, and try and figure out what type of set(s) are optimal for your game (tournament or cash, chip breakdowns, etc.). The "pron" threads will also usually show you a lot of great things you otherwise would not know existed, so that is a great place to start as well.

Welcome and enjoy!

rabbithole1.jpg

Seems I stumbled upon this site. Looking for poker chips. Let’s see how it goes! Any advice?
1. As others have said, get samples.
2. After doing a ton of research, buy 1 or 2 low to middle end sets that will keep you happy for awhile.
3. Identify your grail set, and spend the next 5+ years chasing it. I'm serious on this point. It will save you a ton of money that you would have spent on sets that will only leave you jonesing for something better.
4. Buckle up....this ride is expensive.
5. ENJOY!! It's AWESOME!!

1. As others have said, get samples.
2. After doing a ton of research, buy 1 or 2 low to middle end sets that will keep you happy for awhile.
3. Identify your grail set, and spend the next 5+ years chasing it. I'm serious on this point. It will save you a ton of money that you would have spent on sets that will only leave you jonesing for something better.
4. Buckle up....this ride is expensive.
5. ENJOY!! It's AWESOME!!
Another Ben Book warning***

OMG yes on #3 Kevin!! Seriously if you don't identify your dream set and pursue it, even if it is a long slow dreadful build, buying other chips will leave you feeling unsatisfied and looking for more. Literally you are unboxing a $2000 box of chips you just waited two weeks for them to show up... you look at them for two minutes, snap a picture, post it in the mail Pron... and right back to the classifieds looking for more!

Once you find that dream set, identify it and start working on it, the other distributions seem to fade away!

Fantastic advice in @Seeking Alpha Social Club post there @networkneighbor I 100% agree buy a lower budget "work horse set" or two (depending if you play both cash and tournament) something that will get the job done for now, and then work on the dream set!

Some people just need a functional set that covers their needs and don't get fully sucked in like the rest of us! For some a nice set of custom or semi custom ceramics or heck even Plastic slugged chips is all they will ever need, and absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Then they're the rest of us that yearn forthe finer things in life! Lol

Remeber a nice Poker Table and chairs will do more for your home game than a set of chips, most don't really give two craps about the quality of the poker chips, they just want to play the game and have a good social time!

If you buy a few samples and find yourself fascinated by them, instantly looking fofor more... well then welcome, down the hole you go, and you are in good company friend!

Enjoy your chipping journey and If I can ever be of assistance feel free to reach out via PM... I am a firm believer in "the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask!"

Fellow Chipper Ben

The things is, your dream set will change a few times. Especially when you’re new and don’t know what’s out there. Your tastes will definitely evolve with experience

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom