Wolfgang Poker Hits 1 Million Subs But Only 17K Views? (1 Viewer)

Anthony Martino

Royal Flush
Reaction score
Wolfgang Poker's youtube channel has taken off by astronomical levels by pushing short-form content hard over the past few months, allowing him to catapult over long-form leaders like Brad Owen and Daniel Negreanu, pushing himself past the 1 million subscriber mark.

However, how "real" are these followers? His video talking about hitting 1 million subs received a whopping 17K views in over a weeks time, that seems extremely low for someone with 1 million people following his channel

thingsmakeyougohmmmm.png

They're bots. Not the only content creator to buy/fudge follower counts.
This is possible too. Brad and Neeme seem to get about 3:1 subscriber to views on their longer videos. Mariano and Rampage about the same. Wolfgang is at about 15:1. That’s insane and makes me lean towards bots too.

Although Brad and Neeme both get about 10:1 on their subs:shorts views ratio. So maybe my initial instinct was right. Wolfgang gets better than 2:1 on his shorts.

This is possible too. Brad and Neeme seem to get about 3:1 subscriber to views on their longer videos. Mariano and Rampage about the same. Wolfgang is at about 15:1. That’s insane and makes me lean towards bots too.

Although Brad and Neeme both get about 10:1 on their subs:shorts views ratio. So maybe my initial instinct was right. Wolfgang gets better than 2:1 on his shorts.
what ratio would you expect a short person to get for their shorts whilst wearing shorts? asking for a friend

In a recent interview with PokerNews (video) he said he was getting 4,000 new subscribers A DAY! There's just no frigging way there are THAT many brand new poker fans subbing his channel every single day, it's just not fucking possible.

Poker is popular, but it isn't THAT popular that ANY poker channel is going to get legitimate tens of millions of views on their short-form content. And when his long-form content tells the true story (i.e. all these adoring fans suddenly aren't turning out to view that content anywhere close to the level of his shorts) it really does look like it's bots making him appear more popular than he really is.

I haven't found anyone that thinks he's some amazing poker mind, so he's not appealing to the high-level players who consume content. I've heard he shouts BANG a lot in his videos, some like it, some don't.

I just don't get how we're supposed to believe Wolfgang is suddenly more popular than Dnegs and Brad Owen, the former front-runners for youtube followers in the poker niche. I'd bet my last dime if you pitted Wolfgang against either of them in a competition to see whose MUG had a better turnout he'd lose against both of them.

So many content-producers in a variety of spaces these days just fake it til they make it, and he's seemed to do just that. One of his shorts paid him $3,700 and he's pumping them out like crazy, allowing him to buyin to bigger stakes livestream games and further fuel his growth in the space.

I guess kudos to him for duping folks and cashing in, but I just don't buy it.

I do believe it’s all in the shorts. The algorithm pushes shorts in a completely different way than it does the long form (traditional) content. YouTube just really, really wants to compete with TikTok, and they’re not going to be able to unless they have a viable short form platform.

I do believe it’s all in the shorts. The algorithm pushes shorts in a completely different way than it does the long form (traditional) content. YouTube just really, really wants to compete with TikTok, and they’re not going to be able to unless they have a viable short form platform.

Oh it's the shorts for sure, he's found some way to game the algorithm to his benefit, but I really don't buy that his million+ subscribers are all legit or that he's more popular than dnegs and brad owen.

In a recent interview with PokerNews (video) he said he was getting 4,000 new subscribers A DAY! There's just no frigging way there are THAT many brand new poker fans subbing his channel every single day, it's just not fucking possible.

Poker is popular, but it isn't THAT popular that ANY poker channel is going to get legitimate tens of millions of views on their short-form content. And when his long-form content tells the true story (i.e. all these adoring fans suddenly aren't turning out to view that content anywhere close to the level of his shorts) it really does look like it's bots making him appear more popular than he really is.

I haven't found anyone that thinks he's some amazing poker mind, so he's not appealing to the high-level players who consume content. I've heard he shouts BANG a lot in his videos, some like it, some don't.

I just don't get how we're supposed to believe Wolfgang is suddenly more popular than Dnegs and Brad Owen, the former front-runners for youtube followers in the poker niche. I'd bet my last dime if you pitted Wolfgang against either of them in a competition to see whose MUG had a better turnout he'd lose against both of them.

So many content-producers in a variety of spaces these days just fake it til they make it, and he's seemed to do just that. One of his shorts paid him $3,700 and he's pumping them out like crazy, allowing him to buyin to bigger stakes livestream games and further fuel his growth in the space.

I guess kudos to him for duping folks and cashing in, but I just don't buy it.
Are you hating because he youtubes better than you? maybe people are following for the "entertainment" value rather than to be educated?

the goal of poker / posting on youtube is to make $$$$ by using strategies to extract value and that includes bluffing. Rather than complain and try and call him out or whatever you are trying to do, learn from it and try and emulate it, assuming you are wanting to monetise your channel.

Oh it's the shorts for sure, he's found some way to game the algorithm to his benefit, but I really don't buy that his million+ subscribers are all legit or that he's more popular than dnegs and brad owen.

I’m not sure that it’s gaming the algorithm so much, as it is following the incentives that YouTube is clearly laying out for creators at this time.

If you go up to someone that is an established poker player, yes, fully agree that they’ll know Brad Owen or Daniel Negreanu far more often. But a lot more people have played poker than would consider themselves poker players I’d say, and it’s really, really easy to like and subscribe while scrolling through shortform content, where he is absolutely crushing it in terms of just sheer output.

I watch a lot of poker content and his stuff is meh IMO. Not bad, but not great either.
Same, however in terms of watching from start to finish AND shorts? Wolfgang gets the most of my time. Brad and Andrew are prolly second with rampage close behind. The content creators that perplex me the most are the ones who ONLY create shorts.

Are you hating because he youtubes better than you? maybe people are following for the "entertainment" value rather than to be educated?

the goal of poker / posting on youtube is to make $$$$ by using strategies to extract value and that includes bluffing. Rather than complain and try and call him out or whatever you are trying to do, learn from it and try and emulate it, assuming you are wanting to monetise your channel.

There are plenty of poker youtubers far more successful than me that I love watching, and that I feel put the work in and deserve their success.

I'm not a fan of people faking it to make it and cheating the system.

It was the same issue I had with PLO Professor when in three days he more than doubled his subscriber count but his most recent video at the time had less than 500 views (i.e. he had zero viral content to account for his sudden doubling+ in subscriber count). He was clearly buying subs.

Likewise, I don't buy that there are this many poker fans tuning in to Wolfgangs content, not even the shorts. This clearly looks like botting to me and I don't buy that his growth is fully organic or that he's pulling in 4,000 legit poker followers/day because of his shorts.

There are plenty of poker youtubers far more successful than me that I love watching, and that I feel put the work in and deserve their success.
you dont like his content therefore he doesnt deserve success? what success are you referring to?
I'm not a fan of people faking it to make it and cheating the system.

It was the same issue I had with PLO Professor when in three days he more than doubled his subscriber count but his most recent video at the time had less than 500 views (i.e. he had zero viral content to account for his sudden doubling+ in subscriber count). He was clearly buying subs.
are you worried about poor youtube paying out a few "unearned" adsense dollars?
Likewise, I don't buy that there are this many poker fans tuning in to Wolfgangs content, not even the shorts. This clearly looks like botting to me and I don't buy that his growth is fully organic or that he's pulling in 4,000 legit poker followers/day because of his shorts.
I dont understand why its an issue if it isnt organic? its not like he gets paid per subscriber.

what's the point of this thread? what are you wanting to happen?

Side note. I appreciate cheating in a poker game is bad but I dont see the issue of someone trying to build a YT with whatever means are available. If he wants to take the risk doing what you are speculating what he is doing then thats on him. I dont see the point of playing YT police. YT has enough systems to do the policing themselves.

I think two of his shorts have 83 and 85 MILLION views. There just aren't that many people consuming poker content for it to be believable to me

I think two of his shorts have 83 and 85 MILLION views. There just aren't that many people consuming poker content for it to be believable to me
My dad’s only fishing short, that he didn’t know was called a short, had something like 13k views in one weekend. He had 3 subscribers at that point when he posted the video.

I dunno. I get where you’re coming from but at the same time I don’t understand how viral shorts get pushed to audiences that aren’t necessarily watching your content, but it happens.

My dad’s only fishing short, that he didn’t know was called a short, had something like 13k views in one weekend. He had 3 subscribers at that point when he posted the video.

I dunno. I get where you’re coming from but at the same time I don’t understand how viral shorts get pushed to audiences that aren’t necessarily watching your content, but it happens.

I wonder what the results are for fishing searches/views vs poker on youtube, which has a larger audience

I would assume fishing is more mainstream and has a larger audience?

said he was getting 4,000 new subscribers A DAY! There's just no frigging way there are THAT many brand new poker fans subbing his channel every single day, it's just not fucking possible.

I'll watch a Wolfgang short because it's entertaining and I know the video ends in 2 minutes. Commiting 15 minutes to a Rampage vlog?! Maybe on a Saturday morning. Maybe.

It's not new poker players, it's just bringing people to his content. I found Wolfgang because of Rampage, but now I prefer a Wolfgang short to a Rampage punt session most of the time. Its not that ridiculous to me.

EDIT: Also, because shorts loop, I'll sometimes watch them twice to pick up on subtleties or chat that I missed... Does that count as 2 views?

Last edited:
I'll watch a Wolfgang short because it's entertaining and I know the video ends in 2 minutes. Commiting 15 minutes to a Rampage vlog?! Maybe on a Saturday morning. Maybe.

It's not new poker players, it's just bringing people to his content. I found Wolfgang because of Rampage, but now I prefer a Wolfgang short to a Rampage punt session most of the time. Its not that ridiculous to me.

Youtube never suggests Wolfgang or Mariano to me. Yet I watch Boski, Ashley Sleeth, DePaulo, Rampage, etc

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom