Windwalker’s Chipping Journey in Pr0n0grAph1C Detail (15 Viewers)

miHMY9H.jpg

y7C94h8.jpg
Just throwing it out there for your consideration - the "Card Country" and "Poker Room" text looks small compare to most inlays I've seen.

Been experimenting with a new chip photography setup. Still using natural light, but moving on from the iPhone / Lightroom combo.

Main unit: Leica SL2 w/ a 120mm APO-MACRO-SUMMARIT 1:2.5. Also have a few other lenses to try out, including the 100mm R- macro.

Some initial shots, no manipulation of color, light or anything else. Most likely will still have to use Lightroom to create consistency, and will probably get better as the Leica system becomes more familiar.

ZfrryNk.jpg

UxHoPlg.jpg

z5KMd06.jpg

wlSE7PL.jpg

kcDhFvH.jpg

LKuQ3FA.jpg

Been experimenting with a new chip photography setup. Still using natural light, but moving on from the iPhone / Lightroom combo.

Main unit: Leica SL2 w/ a 120mm APO-MACRO-SUMMARIT 1:2.5. Also have a few other lenses to try out, including the 100mm R- macro.

Some initial shots, no manipulation of color, light or anything else. Most likely will still have to use Lightroom to create consistency, and will probably get better as the Leica system becomes more familiar.

ZfrryNk.jpg

UxHoPlg.jpg

z5KMd06.jpg

wlSE7PL.jpg

kcDhFvH.jpg

LKuQ3FA.jpg

nice shots! I actually think your depth of field is a bit too short here.. try stopping the aperture down by a couple of notches?

nice shots! I actually think your depth of field is a bit too short here.. try stopping the aperture down by a couple of notches?
It definitely is. I’m using an S-type lens on an L-mount using an adapter, and I’m still trying to figure out the manual adjustments needed. They’re artistic shots, but not practical yet. Plus, the 120mm lens is incredibly heavy. I may need to use a tripod.

ZfrryNk.jpg

UxHoPlg.jpg

z5KMd06.jpg

wlSE7PL.jpg

kcDhFvH.jpg

LKuQ3FA.jpg
the focal distance on the first picture seems incredibly shallow. Was that intentional? It's odd you can't get enough light to have enough depth to have both the front and the back of the chip in focus.

ZfrryNk.jpg

UxHoPlg.jpg

z5KMd06.jpg

wlSE7PL.jpg

kcDhFvH.jpg

LKuQ3FA.jpg

That's where those Shuffles Fracs went! They look amazing. I think those are my new favorite Frac!

It definitely is. I’m using an S-type lens on an L-mount using an adapter, and I’m still trying to figure out the manual adjustments needed. They’re artistic shots, but not practical yet. Plus, the 120mm lens is incredibly heavy. I may need to use a tripod.

I think 120mm is a nice length for a macro lens. Try it at f4 or f6.3

the focal distance on the first picture seems incredibly shallow. Was that intentional? It's odd you can't get enough light to have enough depth to have both the front and the back of the chip in focus.
It was mildly intentional. The S-type lenses need to be put on the SL body using an S-adapter L, and the resulting autofocus is super slow and noisy. I was having trouble using manual focus and setting a narrower aperture at the same time, still trying to figure out the 4.0 firmware interface.

Lots of testing to do.

I do have an M-type 90mm APO macro lens on its way, should be much easier to handle.

ZfrryNk.jpg

UxHoPlg.jpg

z5KMd06.jpg

wlSE7PL.jpg

kcDhFvH.jpg

LKuQ3FA.jpg
I currently have a Sony A7rii. I bought it a few years ago after doing months of research on it. Absolutely love it. I bought a Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART lens a while back too and that has basically turned into my go to lens. I don't use anything else. Before that I had a Canon 50mm 1.8 which I used all the time on my Canon 80d before upgrading. Anyways back to the main thing. When I shoot pictures of my chips with the 35mm I keep the f stop at around 2-3.5. It ultimately depends on how I want the shot to look like, but of course when you turn the f stop down the more depth of field you get and the higher, the less. Sometimes I want to show the whole lineup or set of chips, but most of the time I like to show the chips that are in focus and then you can generally see and know what the other chips are.

I have noticed that sometimes the auto focus doesn't exactly focus on what you want so manual focus does come in handy, but can be tricky at times with such a low f stop.

No, I have enough natural light to make it work — I hate the clinical look that light boxes create.
Light boxes can really add to photography, they don't however have to be dead center over them, positioning them at an angle up/down and left/right can remove a lot of the clinical look while providing more even lighting that natural light.

I currently have a Sony A7rii. I bought it a few years ago after doing months of research on it. Absolutely love it. I bought a Sigma 35mm 1.4 ART lens a while back too and that has basically turned into my go to lens. I don't use anything else. Before that I had a Canon 50mm 1.8 which I used all the time on my Canon 80d before upgrading. Anyways back to the main thing. When I shoot pictures of my chips with the 35mm I keep the f stop at around 2-3.5. It ultimately depends on how I want the shot to look like, but of course when you turn the f stop down the more depth of field you get and the higher, the less. Sometimes I want to show the whole lineup or set of chips, but most of the time I like to show the chips that are in focus and then you can generally see and know what the other chips are.

I have noticed that sometimes the auto focus doesn't exactly focus on what you want so manual focus does come in handy, but can be tricky at times with such a low f stop.
The Sigma 35mm ART is an awesome lense. I couldn't do a wedding without it anymore.
2022-08-12 Nora und Manni-534.jpgMaja und Helge preview -verkleinert-1.jpgMaja und Helge preview -verkleinert-6.jpg

After almost 18 months, the final pieces of the ultimate PCA set are complete. I replaced the RHC $1 with a leaded THC that was shape-milled. And I added a purple leaded $1000. The Missouri Gaming Commission does not specify a color, so I picked.

8ABD3E4E-7F3B-4C54-8596-DC488D86723B.jpeg

Here’s the set.

R88HjPy.jpg

pG8NgNB.jpg

Z6fLRze.jpg

aSAZiox.jpg

T0mBHCP.jpg

PznvhHN.jpg

92E3q7I.jpg

dwZ3HJc.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom