Who manufactured these PNY Plaques (1 Viewer)

Ainton

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Who made these?

IMG_4894.jpeg

I don't know. But I want to share this.
Damn! These MSK plaques must be the most beautiful I have ever seen.

full

Postet by @Irish

I must have missed this thread last month, fun topic! I use them in two of my sets, one cash and one tourney.

First is my PNY tourney set, and I use them largely out of necessity, as a full two table T10k tourney set would be near impossible to build and cost a bloody fortune with the t1k chips going for $30-$40 a pop. When I first put the set together, I had t1k and t5k ceramic plaques made. I went oversized - both were 73mm x 105mm (not even sure the vendors sell these anymore).

View attachment 575986

These were nice and served their purpose but they were HUGE and pretty heavy/clunky. The 1k/5k were the same size, but because they were ceramic with a solid edge color, they were relatively easy to distinguish. At a later point I upgraded to 1k & 5k Matsui plaques from the old group buy, these were a hair smaller:

View attachment 575990

The quality on these was awesome, and being much lighter than the ceramics they weren't nearly as clunky. However with the combo of the t1k / t5k being the same size and having very similar edge designs (beveled edges with the white band), they were impossible to distinguish in a stack, to the point where we often used the older ceramics instead.

Taking all that into account, when I upgraded again to custom MSK plaques, I selected smaller plaques and used different sizes:

View attachment 576007

full

full

These work *much* better, in my humble opinion, especially the 2k plaques, which are 82mm x 57mm. Having a stack of 5-10 of these is very manageable, and the different plaque sizes makes it completely obvious which plaques are which.

View attachment 576058

Comparison on PNY plaque sizes over the years:

View attachment 576067

View attachment 576068

View attachment 576069

So overall my opinion for using plaques in tourneys would be:
  • Keep them smaller
  • Use them for 1 or 2 denominations max, more than that is cumbersome
  • If you do have 2 different plaques, make them different sizes
For cash, I don't mind them for the big status chip, especially in a big limit set. I have the $5 president/money MSK plaques that I use in my skittles set for a 25¢/25¢ micro-stakes beers and BS game. I forget exactly what size they are but they're definitely smaller, similar to the PNY 2ks.

View attachment 576064

View attachment 576063

I would have thought the ceramic plaques were done by BR Pro. The ones I have that were gotten through OWPS look similar.
Just based on the look I agree.

I will say the OWPS/BR Pro plaques I had I absolutely loved. I know most folks are ga ga for acrylic, but the heft, feel, look, and sound of these really did it for me.

Just based on the look I agree.

I will say the OWPS/BR Pro plaques I had I absolutely loved. I know most folks are ga ga for acrylic, but the heft, feel, look, and sound of these really did it for me.

They do feel comparatively 'delicate', though. I feel like I'm carrying around precious fine china when I handle these.

I am much less worried about my plastic MSK plaques - I'm sure they can take a beating of dropped, roughly handled during play, etc.

They do feel comparatively 'delicate', though. I feel like I'm carrying around precious fine china when I handle these.

I am much less worried about my plastic MSK plaques - I'm sure they can take a beating of dropped, roughly handled during play, etc.
I didn't necessarily abuse mine, but they did get dropped from time to time and never had a problem. I think they would survive whatever a regular ceramic or clay chip would survive. Pretty much. I would agree they would seem to be more likely to break than acrylic but I was never worried about mine. Maybe I just had good luck. If you're as drunken and clumsy as I am you need good luck. YMMV.

These are ceramic plaques made by Sal at OWPS for a group in France back in 2012:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/group-buy-pny-plaques-1k-to-25k-closed.37355/post-695428

There was also a follow-up group by that @Geremie lead, ABC made those (more info in the thread above).

:tup: Think most of the plaques I have/had came from France originally.
I planned on having Sal make a new $1k and was in the middle of emails with him about my Mapes dealer button GB when he passed :(

1709222262946.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom